Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Oil type and filter reccomendations

Old 09-02-2011, 01:23 PM   #1
Nolazach is one of the sharper tools in the shedNolazach is one of the sharper tools in the shedNolazach is one of the sharper tools in the shedNolazach is one of the sharper tools in the shedNolazach is one of the sharper tools in the shedNolazach is one of the sharper tools in the shedNolazach is one of the sharper tools in the shedNolazach is one of the sharper tools in the shedNolazach is one of the sharper tools in the shedNolazach is one of the sharper tools in the shedNolazach is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Nolazach's Tacoma Gallery
Oil type and filter reccomendations

what oil/filters do you guys use?

I currently I have stock oil and Filters as every one of this trucks 34 oil changes was done by Toyota.

That's nice and all, but this thing will never see a stealership again.
Old 09-02-2011, 01:28 PM   #2
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Many many many many many many many many many many threads on this.

Stock Toyota filter and Mobil One is the popular choice. RP and Amsoil are also great oils. I use M1 with an oversized K&N filter.
Old 09-02-2011, 01:31 PM   #3
Tylerm5000 has much to be proud ofTylerm5000 has much to be proud ofTylerm5000 has much to be proud ofTylerm5000 has much to be proud ofTylerm5000 has much to be proud ofTylerm5000 has much to be proud ofTylerm5000 has much to be proud ofTylerm5000 has much to be proud ofTylerm5000 has much to be proud of
Name: Tyler
Tylerm5000's Tacoma Gallery
Mobil 1 Full Syn is great for Tacomas. It is affordable and readily available; and it is synthetic. I use a slightly over sized Mobil 1 filter M209.

I have a 2.7l, however. I don't know what you have.

My truck went to Jiffy Lube for the first half of its life and the engine had very little wear when I had it overhauled. The plastic on the timing chain guide looked exactly like the new one and the seals were all in good shape. It has excellent compression. But now I change my own oil and use Mobil 1. It really likes it.
Old 09-02-2011, 01:34 PM   #4
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Stock filter with Mobil 1
Old 09-02-2011, 01:41 PM   #5
colder has a brilliant futurecolder has a brilliant futurecolder has a brilliant futurecolder has a brilliant futurecolder has a brilliant futurecolder has a brilliant futurecolder has a brilliant futurecolder has a brilliant futurecolder has a brilliant futurecolder has a brilliant futurecolder has a brilliant future
colder's Tacoma Gallery
So when should we change to synthetic? First oil change?
Old 09-02-2011, 01:42 PM   #6
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by colder View Post
So when should we change to synthetic? First oil change?
Anytime you want to do it.
Old 09-02-2011, 01:48 PM   #7
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
Anytime you want to do it.
x2. There's no longer the issues like there were with older synthetics so switch whenever you want. They claim you can even switch back and forth now and be fine (although I'm not sure why you would). I switched at 50k miles.
Old 09-02-2011, 01:53 PM   #8
WVTacoma08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWVTacoma08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWVTacoma08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWVTacoma08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWVTacoma08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWVTacoma08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWVTacoma08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWVTacoma08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWVTacoma08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWVTacoma08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWVTacoma08 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Ryan
WVTacoma08's Tacoma Gallery
Stock Toyota filter & Schaeffer's Supreme 9000!
Old 09-02-2011, 02:17 PM   #9
Nolazach is one of the sharper tools in the shedNolazach is one of the sharper tools in the shedNolazach is one of the sharper tools in the shedNolazach is one of the sharper tools in the shedNolazach is one of the sharper tools in the shedNolazach is one of the sharper tools in the shedNolazach is one of the sharper tools in the shedNolazach is one of the sharper tools in the shedNolazach is one of the sharper tools in the shedNolazach is one of the sharper tools in the shedNolazach is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Many many many many many many many many many many threads on this.

Sorry, on the mobile device I was having trouble searching.

I figured one more BS thread wouldn't hurt.

I tried bumping an old paint chip thread today and it wouldn't go to page one.

IMHO the tons of stickies on page one clutter this forum more than anything else.
Old 09-02-2011, 02:20 PM   #10

Okay..

I'm going Toyota Filter (Cause that's what the truck always had)

I really like Mobil One, and will use that.

I guess that was my first choice. Wally-World carried Dodge filters, but where besides Toyota to get Toyota filters?
Old 09-02-2011, 02:24 PM   #11

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolazach View Post
Okay..

I'm going Toyota Filter (Cause that's what the truck always had)

I really like Mobil One, and will use that.

I guess that was my first choice. Wally-World carried Dodge filters, but where besides Toyota to get Toyota filters?
I haven't seen them anywhere besides toyota. They sell them at a reasonable price though so I always get 2 or 3 at a time from the stealership. I think they're like $5/ea and make sure you get the gasket for the drain plug. The parts guy where I bought mine just gave me a handful for free.
Old 09-02-2011, 02:29 PM   #12
Banned
There are great deals on ebay sometimes for a box of filters and drain bolt washers. Magicbean posted them up a few times. I would search but I'm on my phone now.
Old 09-02-2011, 02:34 PM   #13
colder has a brilliant futurecolder has a brilliant futurecolder has a brilliant futurecolder has a brilliant futurecolder has a brilliant futurecolder has a brilliant futurecolder has a brilliant futurecolder has a brilliant futurecolder has a brilliant futurecolder has a brilliant futurecolder has a brilliant future
colder's Tacoma Gallery
http://www.trdparts4u.com/scripts/pr...dproduct=-4166

They also had a deal on 10 filters that I bought last week, but I can't find it now.
Old 09-02-2011, 02:49 PM   #14
Motorboatin' SOB
Fink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Former FF/EMT
Name: Chris
Fink's Tacoma Gallery
Toyota fills them with Mobil 1 Conventional 5W-30 at the factories before they're shipped out...so I'll be doing the same thing when it comes time for it.

Fink
Old 09-02-2011, 02:55 PM   #15
colder's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fink View Post
Toyota fills them with Mobil 1 at the factories before they're shipped out
You sure..?

The Toyota care card I got in the mail has "Oil Type: Conventional" written right on it. Presumably, to leave room for an upsell, but regardless... how do you know this?
Old 09-02-2011, 03:06 PM   #16
Motorboatin' SOB
Fink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Former FF/EMT
Name: Chris
Fink's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by colder View Post
You sure..?

The Toyota care card I got in the mail has "Oil Type: Conventional" written right on it. Presumably, to leave room for an upsell, but regardless... how do you know this?
Sorry, I should have clarified this...they put in M1 conventional in them.

I asked them on their Facebook page this morning and they replied a few minutes later with...

Quote:
‎@Chris Fink: Hi Chris! They leave our Texas factory with Mobil conventional 5W-30, same as recommended weight. ^GT

That's all the assurance I need!

Fink
Old 09-02-2011, 03:06 PM   #17
Banned
Op do you have a 4 banger or V6? Gotta fill out that profile man.

V6 package: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Genui...item415abdbd03

More sets: http://motors.shop.ebay.com/dahltoyo...id=p4340.l2562
Old 09-02-2011, 03:07 PM   #18
rex99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrex99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrex99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrex99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrex99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrex99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrex99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrex99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrex99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrex99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrex99 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: SSGT, BMET
rex99's Tacoma Gallery
vegetable oil and a coffee filter
Old 09-02-2011, 03:08 PM   #19
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by REX_111_MDG_BMET View Post
vegetable oil and a coffee filter
Nice. Canola with a Maxwell House filter?
Old 09-02-2011, 03:10 PM   #20
rex99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrex99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrex99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrex99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrex99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrex99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrex99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrex99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrex99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrex99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrex99 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: SSGT, BMET
rex99's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Nice. Canola with a Maxwell House filter?
maxwell house is getting pricey... I switched to walmart brand