1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

FoldaCover G4 Elite and Bedslide SR10 Review

Discussion in 'Product Reviews' started by junglefighter25, Sep 2, 2011.

1. Sep 2, 2011 at 1:05 PM
    junglefighter25

junglefighter25 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle:
    1996, 1999, 2011, 2013, 2016 Tacoma
    I just had a FoldaCover G4 Elite and a Bedslide SR10 installed by the great guys over at Rowell's in Indian Trail, NC. I have been drooling over these for the last 8 months, and I finally bought them. I own a 2011 MGM Tacoma Shortbed Sport.
    I perform service, sales and calibrations to water flow meters for a living. I spend a lot of time on the road, and I need to have as much parts and equipment as possible, because I am usually a couple of hundred miles from my office.
    Sometimes I have to haul a refrigeration unit, which is about 3 1/2 feet tall, so a solid tonneau would have been worthless for me.
    I bought the Bedslide because I don't want to have to crawl into my bed when I need to get something out of one of my totes. The Bedslide will also make a nice platform for when I need a work bench to repair equipment.
    Here is my review.

First, the G4 looks awesome. Smooth, streamlined, and secure. I love the look of this set-up.
    [​IMG]

I really like the keyed locking mechanism. I went with the G4 over the Bakflip for this reason alone. The Bakflip has a locking mechanism that can only be opened from the inside. I planned to install a locking system in my tailgate that would run off of the OEM doorlock circuit, but if that failed, I'd have to cut into the Bakflip. This concerned me enough to go with the G4.
    [​IMG]

One awesome feature of the G4 is that the front of the cover folds open, and has its own lock. I think that this is awesome. I am attaching a hook above the wheelwell to hold my hardhat, which is always a pain in the ass to stow.
    [​IMG]

The latch mechanism is pretty beefy. This is about as secure as you can get. Nothing is 100% secure, but this is very good.
    [​IMG]

The latch locks into a post mounted on the side of the bed. The existing factories holes are used for the mounting of the post.
    [​IMG]
    Uploaded with ImageShack.us

The inner latches of the tonneau are latched onto brackets that are mounted via the factory siderail system. Note: you still have full access to the rail system, except for the spots where the tonneau's brackets are mounted.
    [​IMG]

When fully folded, the FoldaCover sits flat near the cab of the truck. I like this better than the Bakflip, which sits standing up against the back window of the cab. I can still see out of my back window, and I have nothing slapping the back of my cab when I'm driving with the tonneau open.
    [​IMG]

The G4 comes with a tailgate lock. It's simple but effective. The tonneau has a plate shaped like an upside down L mounted on the rear panel near the tailgate. This L shaped plate folds down with the tonneau panel, and slides behind a D shaped bracket mounted to the tailgate. The tailgate will not open when the FoldaCover is closed.
    [​IMG]

I did not take a picture of it, but the weather stripping on the very rear of the tonneau that keeps water from coming in over the tailgate is mounted with a very thin strip of adhesive. When the tonneau is hot, the weather strip detaches itself from the tonneau. If you touch the weather strip, it will come loose. I am going to have to get down with some Liquid Nails, or another kind of adhesive to keep the weather stripping from falling off. I guess that this is my biggest gripe of the G4.

Now onto the Bedslide.
    I am really impressed with the sturdiness and ease of use when rolling the Bedslide in and out. It is rated for 1200 pounds, so I know that it can handle the 150 pounds that I have piled on it. There is still room behind the wheelwells, where I plan to mount a rechargable flashlight, and fire extinguisher.
    [​IMG]

The Bedslide has has a heavy duty handle and locking system. You can tell that its a quality product.
    It has 3 locking positions, so you don't have to pull it out all the way if you don't need to. Here is what the Bedslide looks like fully extended.
    [​IMG]

All in all, I am very happy with my purchase. It wasn't cheap, and there are less pricey alternatives and knock-offs, but you get what you pay for. I plan on using the Bedslide and tonneau for the next 10 years and probably install them on my next truck.
    I give both a big thumbs up.

2. Sep 2, 2011 at 2:41 PM
    wing103

wing103 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Boston
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma TRD Sport / Dark Gray
    Grill Craft upper & Lower Grill WetOK Seat Cover, Devil Horn, Bug, Windows Deflector, Side step Bar, HID 55W 8000K Headlight, HID 35W 4000K Foglight, Fog Light Mod, Interior LED Map Light Mod, Electric Tail Gate Lock, Leer Cab, Key ring light, Bed LED lights Mod, Kenwood DNX5120, Signal Mirror with Heat
    I do plan to get that bedslide a while back ago, how much are they? and how strong is it?

3. Sep 2, 2011 at 4:04 PM
    junglefighter25

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle:
    The SR10 was about $900. I know its not cheap, but you get what you pay for.
    The Bedslide website says that it can take up to 1200 lbs, which I believe.

4. Sep 2, 2011 at 4:59 PM
    07TaCo07

07TaCo07 Well-Known Member

Member:
    oregon
    Vehicle:
    07 double cab 6" lift
    6" fab tech lift, 35" toyo m/t, 17" teflon wheels
    Haha ur bed cubbie is broke too. My buddy just put the foldacover on his tundra and loves it. I really want one.

5. Sep 2, 2011 at 5:06 PM
    Erlski

Erlski Active Member

Member:
    The Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD Sport DCLB
    Hey JungleFighter sweet setup you got there bro! Looks like it'll definitely be put to good use.

6. Aug 12, 2012 at 4:56 AM
    luisito72

luisito72 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    ANGEL
    orlando florida
    Vehicle:
    trd 4x4 sport
    TWO TONE TRD LEATHER/PIONEER 930BT NAVI,KICKER CUSTOM BASS BOX IN REAR WITH KICKER ALL AROUND THE DOORS!VIPER 5704 ALARM SYSTEM,NFAB STEP BARS,GRILLCRAFT BUMBER AND FRONT BLACK GRILL,BILSTEIN 5100 FRONT AND REAR SET AT 0 IN FRONT AND ADD A LEAF 1.5 IN REAR!OEM SKID PLATE,AFE S DRY AIR FILTER,MOTO-X BED EXTENDER!LIGHT RACING ,,UCA,SUNROOF,METAL MILLLER RED POWDERCOATED EMBLEM,,TOYTEC RED COILOVERS SET AT 3 INCHES,LED INTERIOR DOME LIGHTS,LED PLATE LIGHT,HELLA SUPERTONE HORNS,NFAB RHINO LINED STEP BARS,AVID LIGHT BAR RHINOLINED,POP A LOCK, RUGGED FOLD HARD COVER,CUSTOM RED PAINTED CENTER STAR ON ROCKSTAR RIMS,OEM BED MAT,TRD ETCHED POWDER COATED EXHAUST TIP.RETROFITTED HEADLIGHTS
    will this work with a bed extender?

7. Aug 12, 2012 at 5:50 AM
    bjboucher

bjboucher Mama says Tacoma World is da devil!

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    San Antonio, Texas
    Vehicle:
    Former 2012 DCLB 4x4 SR5 Texas Edition
    OME complete kit w/ 885s on Nitrocharger Sports, 1/4" spacers, Dakars w/ Nitrocharger Sports, LR UCAs, 265/70-17, Duratracs, G4 Elite tonneau, Weathertech Window Deflectors, Weathertech digital floor liners, factory JBL/Entune, rear differential breather relocate.
    Have you tested how well this keeps water out? I'm still torn on what/if any cover I want for my bed. I need something for when I take road trips to keep luggage secure/dry but don't want give up hauling space when I need it. So a solid tonneau cover wont work for me. I like the idea of the soft/folding covers but they seem to be leak prone from what i've read.

8. Aug 12, 2012 at 10:52 AM
    NEAScott

NEAScott Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Toledo, Oh
    Vehicle:
    2014 Chevrolet Impala Limited
    I love the Fold-a-covers. But compared to the Extang, Bak, or Flex, to get quick access to the full bed, the FAC is a PITA to take apart that front hinge and reassemble it to take it on/off. When/If Extang gets the Encore done for the Tacoma will remedy this.

Nice equipment though regardless. I have sold Bedslide before. Right now I do CargoEase and some JottoSlide.

9. Aug 12, 2012 at 1:07 PM
    bjboucher

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    San Antonio, Texas
    Vehicle:
    OME complete kit w/ 885s on Nitrocharger Sports, 1/4" spacers, Dakars w/ Nitrocharger Sports, LR UCAs, 265/70-17, Duratracs, G4 Elite tonneau, Weathertech Window Deflectors, Weathertech digital floor liners, factory JBL/Entune, rear differential breather relocate.
    Does this mean the FAC's are harder for a "do it yourself" install? I see you have them on your website but if I do end up buying, are they difficult to put on?

10. Aug 16, 2012 at 9:19 PM
    junglefighter25

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle:
    I get a few drips here and there, but nothing bad. I can't tell if it's just seepage that drops when I open the cover, or if the seams are actually leaking while the cover is closed.
    After hard Carolina summer storms, I will have a few splash marks from single drips on my Bedslide, but that's it.

11. Aug 17, 2012 at 3:14 AM
    bjboucher

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    San Antonio, Texas
    Vehicle:
    Thanks for the info. I'm definitely interested in this cover! Wish it was easier to take completely off, seems like the only downside.

12. Aug 17, 2012 at 7:53 AM
    Spruce Juice

Spruce Juice Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sam
    Vancouver, BC
    Vehicle:
    2012 4 x 4
    Fold A Cover, Factory Class 4 Hitch with Factory Harness, Cruise, Int Wipers, TRD Alloys, Fogs, K&N Air Filter
    I bought my Fold A Cover in early June and at the time they just started delivering the new revised version of the G4 Elite. The main difference now is that the bed rails (they call it the windseal) are no longer glued, they are now attached by bolts to the brackets. It is a one man job to install. I am extremely pleased with how the cover looks and functions.

From having done the entire installation myself I can say that the cover can be removed with ease. You are looking at removing 4 bolts and there is no re-alignment necessary during the re-install.

As for water seepage, because I have not experienced the rainy season yet, I cannot say. While I am sure it is not 100% water tight, based on what I see as possible areas of seepage, cargo will stay dry and whatever water does comes in will wind up under my cargo mat anyways so it won't be like my stuff is sitting in a puddle. I would say weatherproof enough to keep luggage clean and dry for road trips.

The only improvement I like to see is for a smaller gap between the top of the tailgate and the cover panel as that would improve security. Right now the weather strip seal that covers the gap is wider than I'd like.

13. Sep 5, 2012 at 8:23 PM
    Chad7088

Chad7088 Old Newbie

Member:
    First Name:
    Chad
    19th state
    Vehicle:
    ‘20 Tacoma Off Road DCSB 4x4 MT
    Lots to come
    Bob....thanks alot for the write up and especially pics. I am in the process of researching covers and really considering this one.

14. Sep 12, 2012 at 1:59 AM
    Ernesto4

Ernesto4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    North Hollywood
    Vehicle:
    15 Tacoma access cab 5 lug SR5
    hows it holding up with everyday use? i am about to buy this but in my kind of work i will be opening it and closing it ever single day and i need a cover that will be able to withstand it and still maintain its security and functionality

15. Sep 13, 2012 at 7:31 PM
    Jonah

Jonah Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Charleston, SC
    Vehicle:
    2007 TRD O/R 4x4
    5100s F&R, TSB leaf springs, N-Fab steps, bed lights
    I've had a Fold-A-Cover G4 for about 8 months and it's proven to be very trouble free so far. I open mine 2-3 times a week to haul building material. I really like how easy it is to fold and stack against the cab. While you don't get full bed access, I have no problem with lumber or plywood.
    I installed it myself, and it was a bit of a PITA. 2 people would make the job much easier.
    We've had some really heavy rains and I never noticed more than small drips, so I wouldn't hesitate to carry luggage or boxes. I agree with the comment about the rear seal adhesive being pretty weak. Both ends of my seal came loose within a couple of months. I used Gorilla Glue to reattach them and so far it's holding up fine. Liquid nails or silicone adhesive would work too.
    Overall, I love the cover. It looks good, is built really well and seems relatively secure. If someone was determined to break in, I'm sure they could, but out of sight, out of mind...

16. Sep 13, 2012 at 7:38 PM
    BeeRadd

BeeRadd Bought not built.

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    Fountain Valley, CA
    Vehicle:
    2010 DCSB LT 4x4
    Hey Bob, how much was the cover itself? Great Write-Up BTW.

17. Sep 13, 2012 at 8:00 PM
    Chad7088

Chad7088 Old Newbie

Member:
    First Name:
    Chad
    19th state
    Vehicle:
    Lots to come
  18. Sep 13, 2012 at 8:02 PM
    BeeRadd

BeeRadd Bought not built.

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    Fountain Valley, CA
    Vehicle:
    2010 DCSB LT 4x4
    Cool, Thanks for the info!

19. Sep 13, 2012 at 8:17 PM
    Chad7088

Chad7088 Old Newbie

Member:
    First Name:
    Chad
    19th state
    Vehicle:
    Lots to come
    your welcome

20. Sep 13, 2012 at 8:27 PM
    fletch aka

fletch aka www.BeLikeBrit.org

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Left Coast
    Vehicle:
    09 Magnetic Gray TRD OffRoad
    TRD cat back exhaust, TRD Cold Air Intake, differential breather mod' Hellwig rear sway bar, 16x8 TRD Ivan Stewart's, Michelin LTX A/T2, DTRL Stealth Mode Mod, custom "Texas Edition" shift knob, Sock's "Classic" bedside decals, MetalMiller custom grill emblem, 20% front tinted windows, tinted taillights, Viper alarm, ScanGauge II, Flyzeye Designs V2W Tacoma Interior LED lighting, de-mud flapped, de-badged, extra D-rings under bed bolts, WeatherTech ED floor mats, G4 Elite Fold a Cover ,Toyota bed mat, tailgate theft deterrent device and absolutely no plasti-dip!
    I have the same cover and have nothing to add. The best part for me is the locking portion at the cab, it is perfect and why I went with this cover. I keep a couple of bin boxes at the front of the bed and I just toss stuff from the cab in, lock the cover and forget forget about it.

Products Discussed in

To Top