Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

drive shaft drop and axle shims

Old 10-29-2008, 02:18 AM   #1
HILOTOY
HILOTOY will become famous soon enoughHILOTOY will become famous soon enough

HILOTOY's Tacoma Gallery
drive shaft drop and axle shims

I finally decided to get the 3 in. Toytec lift ...885's, alcan aal, nitro shocks, front diff drop. Do I need to get the rear axle shims??? What about the drive shaft bearing drop kit??? I want to make sure so I dont end up paying for more shipping cost... ....... HAWAII ............. any comments??? Different lifts????? Please help before I press the CONFIRM ORDER button. .
Old 10-29-2008, 09:11 AM   #2
Stock Taco For Now
311offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed311offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed311offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed311offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed311offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed311offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed311offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed311offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed311offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed311offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed311offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
311offroad's Tacoma Gallery
bump

Im thinking about getting the toytec kit also, need to know about the drive shaft drop and axle shims as well.
Old 10-29-2008, 09:16 AM   #3
abides.
Brunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: LT- CG MH-65C/D Driver- CGAS NOLA
Name: Mark
Brunes's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Brunes
Are you guys talking about like a differential drop?? I think from what I've read...you can go without it...but you risk some binding and catching issues in certain flex positions.

To do it "right" you should get it.

I just talked with a Toytec rep about a 3 inch lift...and he didn't mention anything about axel shims....If you ahve issues with vibrations you can get them later...but since you are trying to save a few bones....Skip them for now and see how it works out??

PS...Someone who has a lift or knows wtf they are talking about is prolly going to say something different...I'd go with what they say.
Old 10-29-2008, 09:28 AM   #5
dtrujillo63 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtrujillo63 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtrujillo63 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtrujillo63 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtrujillo63 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtrujillo63 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtrujillo63 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtrujillo63 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtrujillo63 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtrujillo63 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtrujillo63 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Denny
dtrujillo63's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to dtrujillo63
I originally just got the toytec shims and still got vibs going from 5-10 MPH, after I installed a drive shaft (carrier bearing) drop all my vibs went away. They are cheap enough that I would just order them. I tried getting washer and that didn't work our too good. For $10 you might as well get the real thing.
Old 10-29-2008, 09:32 AM   #6
abides.
Brunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: LT- CG MH-65C/D Driver- CGAS NOLA
Name: Mark
Brunes's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Brunes
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtrujillo63 View Post
I originally just got the toytec shims and still got vibs going from 5-10 MPH, after I installed a drive shaft (carrier bearing) drop all my vibs went away. They are cheap enough that I would just order them. I tried getting washer and that didn't work our too good. For $10 you might as well get the real thing.
And that is good info- ::thinks about adding axel shims into his list::
Old 10-29-2008, 09:39 AM   #7
dtrujillo63 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtrujillo63 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtrujillo63 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtrujillo63 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtrujillo63 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtrujillo63 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtrujillo63 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtrujillo63 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtrujillo63 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtrujillo63 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtrujillo63 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrunesDoesTRD View Post
And that is good info- ::thinks about adding axel shims into his list::
Either you pay $19 now and it will be included for the same shipping price or $30 later ($19 + $11 shipping).
Old 10-29-2008, 09:45 AM   #8
Justin626 has much to be proud ofJustin626 has much to be proud ofJustin626 has much to be proud ofJustin626 has much to be proud ofJustin626 has much to be proud ofJustin626 has much to be proud ofJustin626 has much to be proud ofJustin626 has much to be proud of

Justin626's Tacoma Gallery
I installed shims and no center bearing drop with no issues.
Old 10-29-2008, 09:59 AM   #9
╒╪╕
MyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nick
MyToyTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to MyToyTaco
I did the 3" toytec a couple weeks ago and I am doing the shims this weekend. I got some vibration in the rear end that i hope this will fix..
Old 10-29-2008, 10:00 AM   #10
╒╪╕
MyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nick
MyToyTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to MyToyTaco
Quote:
was your vibe in the front or rear?
Old 10-29-2008, 11:53 AM   #11
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
When it comes to axle shims... Every situation is different.

Shims come in different sizes and if you start off with a smaller sized shim - you can get bigger ones if you're still experiencing vibes. I think the smallest sized shims you can get are like 2.5 degrees.

If you get shims - try to get steal shims. Avoid alluminum shims - as they're soft and flatten out over time. When they flatten, that makes your u-bolts loosen up and you can break centering pins.

If you're not offroading 'hard' - then you could go without the diff drop. But definately get the diff drop if you're doing some hard offroading.
Old 10-29-2008, 06:33 PM   #12
HILOTOY

HILOTOY's Tacoma Gallery
Hey thanks you guys. Its always nice to get some opinions. This takes the quess work out. Thats what I like about this site........Im pushing the PURCHASE NOW button right now. Will let you guys know how it all comes out. AAUURIIIIGHHHHT..................
Old 10-29-2008, 06:56 PM   #13
SurfNut is on a distinguished road
SurfNut's Tacoma Gallery
Got um shipped to Kauai

I ordered from ToyTec a couple weeks ago. Got coil overs and AALs, with all the other stuff. It doesn't add that much, if any to the shipping cost. Now I just gotta install um.
Old 10-29-2008, 08:35 PM   #14
HILOTOY

HILOTOY's Tacoma Gallery
Anyone running the ome nitros 140's and 182. Hows the match with the 885 springs. I want it stiffer than what it is now(stock) but not toooo stiff. I want to add a bull bar or bumper later on............ any thoughts?????
Old 10-29-2008, 09:12 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyToyTaco View Post
was your vibe in the front or rear?
Rear, felt more like center though. Where the carrier bearing meets.
Old 02-16-2009, 09:07 PM   #17
m_yota will become famous soon enough

m_yota's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
So you have the shims and the carrier bearing drop kit too? Which do you have on?
Old 02-17-2009, 01:26 AM   #18
SurfNut's Tacoma Gallery
tested it out this weekend

The coilovers work great. Rocks, logs, water and mud NP
Attached Thumbnails
drive shaft drop and axle shims-774617794112_0_bg.jpg  
Old 02-17-2009, 10:31 AM   #20
SurfNut's Tacoma Gallery
Diff drop, carrier bearing drop and shims...smooth.