Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

2nd Gen. Auto Shifter Mod

Old 09-05-2011, 01:10 PM   #1
Night In The Ruts!
09DC4X4 has a spectacular aura about09DC4X4 has a spectacular aura about09DC4X4 has a spectacular aura about

Name: Brian
09DC4X4's Tacoma Gallery
2nd Gen. Auto Shifter Mod

Get a new shifter knob you like. Make sure the knob is threaded 8mm x 1.25 internal threads. Need what I think was a sleeve of 7/16" electrical heatshrink. Remove old knob. Fit new knob and measure length of heat shrink needed. Remove knob. Cut heatshrink to length and install over shifter and install new knob.
Heat the heatshrink with heatgun or carefully with lighter. Done.
Can always cut-off later if needed.
The new knob sits alittle higher and makes for positive shifts and you can actually see what gear you are putting it in. Enjoy!
Old 09-05-2011, 02:14 PM   #2
sees what you did there.
KPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 09DC4X4 View Post
Get a new shifter knob you like. Make sure the knob is threaded 8mm x 1.25 internal threads. Need what I think was a sleeve of 7/16" electrical heatshrink. Remove old knob. Fit new knob and measure length of heat shrink needed. Remove knob. Cut heatshrink to length and install over shifter and install new knob.
Heat the heatshrink with heatgun or carefully with lighter. Done.
Can always cut-off later if needed.
The new knob sits alittle higher and makes for positive shifts and you can actually see what gear you are putting it in. Enjoy!
Alright I'm completely lost here.
Old 09-05-2011, 02:16 PM   #3
Whyareyoureadingthis?
VirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sam I am, green eggs and ham
VirginiaBound's Tacoma Gallery
What purpose does this solve?
Old 09-05-2011, 02:23 PM   #4
What would Scooby do?
travelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

travelingman's Tacoma Gallery
What?
Old 09-05-2011, 02:33 PM   #6
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery
The heat shrink is an accent to cover the shift handle..................like plasti-derp
Old 09-05-2011, 02:40 PM   #8
Night In The Ruts!
09DC4X4 has a spectacular aura about09DC4X4 has a spectacular aura about09DC4X4 has a spectacular aura about

09DC4X4's Tacoma Gallery
No it just covers up the chrome on the original shifter and mine had tooling marks and a sharp step down machined on it. If your remove your knob, you will see what I'm talking about. Some might like the blacked-out look. Just an idea and I liked it. Thought I would share.
Old 09-05-2011, 02:43 PM   #9
sees what you did there.
KPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
No it just covers up the chrome on the original shifter and mine had tooling marks and a sharp step down machined on it. If your remove your knob, you will see what I'm talking about. Some might like the blacked-out look. Just an idea and I liked it. Thought I would share.
Oh I get it. It's a cool idea, it just wasn't clear from your original pst what you were trying to accomplish. In fact it sounded like you were saying that the shrink wrap was used to make the shifter knob higher...
Old 09-05-2011, 02:47 PM   #10
He who walk with a Cane
CoTacoTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoTacoTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoTacoTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoTacoTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoTacoTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoTacoTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoTacoTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoTacoTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoTacoTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoTacoTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoTacoTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Gramps
CoTacoTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Buy this:

http://www.trdsparks.com/displayimag...p?partsid=1443

It fits!
Old 09-05-2011, 03:00 PM   #12
He who walk with a Cane
CoTacoTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoTacoTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoTacoTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoTacoTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoTacoTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoTacoTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoTacoTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoTacoTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoTacoTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoTacoTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoTacoTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Gramps
CoTacoTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by allmotorrex View Post
hahahahahahahah wtf!!!!????
No need for heat shrink as it covers the shaft. I have it on mine even though it was for a Tundra. Fits all the way down since the shaft is shorter then on the Tundra. Just an opinion.
Old 09-05-2011, 03:09 PM   #13
Night In The Ruts!

09DC4X4's Tacoma Gallery
Yes I was in a hurry. Guess I should have called it a chrome cover-up. Or fix my crappy machined and shitty chromed shifter. Having a ball type knob really seems to work good, positve shifting, no slapping around trying to get it in the right gear.
Maybe I'm just getting old and lazy.
Old 09-06-2011, 04:14 AM   #14
BUZZCUT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBUZZCUT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBUZZCUT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBUZZCUT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBUZZCUT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBUZZCUT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBUZZCUT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBUZZCUT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBUZZCUT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBUZZCUT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBUZZCUT is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force: KC-135A/R Crew Chief NKAWTG
BUZZCUT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

I thought that was the reason for the indicators inside the instrument cluster?
Old 09-07-2011, 01:25 AM   #15
THIS IS AMERICA!!!
Cortland is one of the sharper tools in the shedCortland is one of the sharper tools in the shedCortland is one of the sharper tools in the shedCortland is one of the sharper tools in the shedCortland is one of the sharper tools in the shedCortland is one of the sharper tools in the shedCortland is one of the sharper tools in the shedCortland is one of the sharper tools in the shedCortland is one of the sharper tools in the shedCortland is one of the sharper tools in the shedCortland is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Cortland
Cortland's Tacoma Gallery
That's actually a pretty cool shift knob
Old 09-07-2011, 08:45 AM   #16
Night In The Ruts!

09DC4X4's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks Cortland. It's Tiger wood. Found it on eBay and thought it was kinda cool.
Something different and cheap enough.