Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

DIY- Front Wheel Bearings

Old 09-06-2011, 06:03 PM   #1
ST3VE is one of the sharper tools in the shedST3VE is one of the sharper tools in the shedST3VE is one of the sharper tools in the shedST3VE is one of the sharper tools in the shedST3VE is one of the sharper tools in the shedST3VE is one of the sharper tools in the shedST3VE is one of the sharper tools in the shedST3VE is one of the sharper tools in the shedST3VE is one of the sharper tools in the shedST3VE is one of the sharper tools in the shedST3VE is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
ST3VE's Tacoma Gallery
DIY- Front Wheel Bearings

Me & My Friend Dan Replaced The Front Wheel Bearing... I decided to Make A video Out Of It.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c17YAsJFBwk
Old 09-06-2011, 06:45 PM   #2
ˇYo Quiero Taco World!
hamNswiss on rye is one of the sharper tools in the shedhamNswiss on rye is one of the sharper tools in the shedhamNswiss on rye is one of the sharper tools in the shedhamNswiss on rye is one of the sharper tools in the shedhamNswiss on rye is one of the sharper tools in the shedhamNswiss on rye is one of the sharper tools in the shedhamNswiss on rye is one of the sharper tools in the shedhamNswiss on rye is one of the sharper tools in the shedhamNswiss on rye is one of the sharper tools in the shedhamNswiss on rye is one of the sharper tools in the shedhamNswiss on rye is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nick
hamNswiss on rye's Tacoma Gallery
its funny that youre running spacers. did your bearings go early? nice vid
Old 09-06-2011, 07:11 PM   #4
BlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BlueT's Tacoma Gallery
Seal that you re-used is non-reusable. Once you install it cannot be removed with out damaging. It will never seal 100%
otherwise great video
Old 09-07-2011, 01:02 AM   #6
stmpjmpr is one of the sharper tools in the shedstmpjmpr is one of the sharper tools in the shedstmpjmpr is one of the sharper tools in the shedstmpjmpr is one of the sharper tools in the shedstmpjmpr is one of the sharper tools in the shedstmpjmpr is one of the sharper tools in the shedstmpjmpr is one of the sharper tools in the shedstmpjmpr is one of the sharper tools in the shedstmpjmpr is one of the sharper tools in the shedstmpjmpr is one of the sharper tools in the shedstmpjmpr is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jimmy
stmpjmpr's Tacoma Gallery
nice video. why did u replace bearing? is there a time interval to replace the bearings? or when they fail. and how do u know when they fail?
Old 09-07-2011, 12:56 PM   #7
ST3VE is one of the sharper tools in the shedST3VE is one of the sharper tools in the shedST3VE is one of the sharper tools in the shedST3VE is one of the sharper tools in the shedST3VE is one of the sharper tools in the shedST3VE is one of the sharper tools in the shedST3VE is one of the sharper tools in the shedST3VE is one of the sharper tools in the shedST3VE is one of the sharper tools in the shedST3VE is one of the sharper tools in the shedST3VE is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ST3VE's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamNswiss on rye View Post
its funny that youre running spacers. did your bearings go early? nice vid
I had the spacers on for a little short of 2 years now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnw View Post
cool vid man wish there was music added to it
Yea me too. I did it on my netbook.. so I dont have iTunes on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stmpjmpr View Post
nice video. why did u replace bearing? is there a time interval to replace the bearings? or when they fail. and how do u know when they fail?
I hear they fail usually about 75,000 miles.. I have about 97,000 now, so I'm not sure really the life average of the bearings. I go wheeling alot and with the spacers I hear they add stress to the bearings too. And I was getting alot of shaking in my wheel and even more when I was breaking, I jacked the front wheel up in my driveway and they wheel wobbled about a inch or so when I shook the tire itself.
Old 09-08-2011, 11:42 AM   #8
stmpjmpr is one of the sharper tools in the shedstmpjmpr is one of the sharper tools in the shedstmpjmpr is one of the sharper tools in the shedstmpjmpr is one of the sharper tools in the shedstmpjmpr is one of the sharper tools in the shedstmpjmpr is one of the sharper tools in the shedstmpjmpr is one of the sharper tools in the shedstmpjmpr is one of the sharper tools in the shedstmpjmpr is one of the sharper tools in the shedstmpjmpr is one of the sharper tools in the shedstmpjmpr is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jimmy
stmpjmpr's Tacoma Gallery
St3ve thanks for the headsup. I just flipped 96k on my 06. better do the test you mention. i think I feel a little steering wheel wobble.
Old 10-05-2011, 02:27 PM   #9
Sneeker is on a distinguished road
Sneeker's Tacoma Gallery
Great video!!! This is going to be invaluble for me to do this job. Any word on what parts number the seals are? And is the inner and outer seal the same part?
Old 10-05-2011, 02:41 PM   #11

ST3VE's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneeker View Post
Great video!!! This is going to be invaluble for me to do this job. Any word on what parts number the seals are? And is the inner and outer seal the same part?
I just ordered the hub and bearings from ebay. Not too sure of the part numbers tho.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muy Grande View Post
x2 on this video going to use it as reference. This has been golden and is going to save me some cabbage!
Thanks man. I am really happy it helps you out.. It was my main goal.
Old 11-02-2011, 12:00 PM   #12
bruce1271 is a glorious beacon of lightbruce1271 is a glorious beacon of lightbruce1271 is a glorious beacon of lightbruce1271 is a glorious beacon of lightbruce1271 is a glorious beacon of light
bruce1271's Tacoma Gallery
What happened to the Video? Can you re-post the video please?

Thanks
Old 11-02-2011, 01:49 PM   #13
85GT 79FJ40 has a brilliant future85GT 79FJ40 has a brilliant future85GT 79FJ40 has a brilliant future85GT 79FJ40 has a brilliant future85GT 79FJ40 has a brilliant future85GT 79FJ40 has a brilliant future85GT 79FJ40 has a brilliant future85GT 79FJ40 has a brilliant future85GT 79FJ40 has a brilliant future85GT 79FJ40 has a brilliant future85GT 79FJ40 has a brilliant future
Name: Ken
85GT 79FJ40's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ST3VE View Post
I just ordered the hub and bearings from ebay. Not too sure of the part numbers tho.

Thanks man. I am really happy it helps you out.. It was my main goal.
I couldn't watch your video but if you have access to a press the hub can be used over again. I've done this job 4 times now. My last 05 needed them around 75k and my current one I bought with bad bearings at 112k. Both trucks were bone stock. If you remove the entire spindle from the truck you can use it to hold the bearing into the spindle and press the hub out from the back. Last one I did took a little over an hour from jacking up the truck to checking the torque on the lugs. Always replace the inner seal on the spindle too. 3 of the 4 I've changed have had wasted inner seals. The 4th one wasn't terrible, it was just starting to make noise.
Old 11-02-2011, 06:54 PM   #14
bruce1271 is a glorious beacon of lightbruce1271 is a glorious beacon of lightbruce1271 is a glorious beacon of lightbruce1271 is a glorious beacon of lightbruce1271 is a glorious beacon of light
bruce1271's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 85GT 79FJ40 View Post
I couldn't watch your video but if you have access to a press the hub can be used over again. I've done this job 4 times now. My last 05 needed them around 75k and my current one I bought with bad bearings at 112k. Both trucks were bone stock. If you remove the entire spindle from the truck you can use it to hold the bearing into the spindle and press the hub out from the back. Last one I did took a little over an hour from jacking up the truck to checking the torque on the lugs. Always replace the inner seal on the spindle too. 3 of the 4 I've changed have had wasted inner seals. The 4th one wasn't terrible, it was just starting to make noise.
Where did you get your parts from? Also, this will be my first bearing job, anything to look out for? I guess I need to read up on the entire procedure.
Old 11-03-2011, 10:46 AM   #15

ST3VE's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce1271 View Post
What happened to the Video? Can you re-post the video please?

Thanks
Quote:
Where did you get your parts from? Also, this will be my first bearing job, anything to look out for? I guess I need to read up on the entire procedure.

Sorry about that.. my youtube was jacked. I reposted the video. And I got the hub assembly from ebay for about 70 bucks. Compared to the $450 the stealership wanted to fix it.
Old 11-03-2011, 10:57 AM   #16

ST3VE's Tacoma Gallery
Here is a whole list of sellers for the wheel hub bearings.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=...%2520Year=2005
Old 11-05-2011, 04:37 PM   #17
85GT 79FJ40 has a brilliant future85GT 79FJ40 has a brilliant future85GT 79FJ40 has a brilliant future85GT 79FJ40 has a brilliant future85GT 79FJ40 has a brilliant future85GT 79FJ40 has a brilliant future85GT 79FJ40 has a brilliant future85GT 79FJ40 has a brilliant future85GT 79FJ40 has a brilliant future85GT 79FJ40 has a brilliant future85GT 79FJ40 has a brilliant future
Name: Ken
85GT 79FJ40's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I used SKF bearings, aftermarket outer seals, and the only source for the inner seal is Toyota directly the last I knew. It's really not a bad job to do but you need to have the right tools.
Old 11-21-2011, 04:10 PM   #18
Unprofessional Driver
CUtacomaTIGER is one of the sharper tools in the shedCUtacomaTIGER is one of the sharper tools in the shedCUtacomaTIGER is one of the sharper tools in the shedCUtacomaTIGER is one of the sharper tools in the shedCUtacomaTIGER is one of the sharper tools in the shedCUtacomaTIGER is one of the sharper tools in the shedCUtacomaTIGER is one of the sharper tools in the shedCUtacomaTIGER is one of the sharper tools in the shedCUtacomaTIGER is one of the sharper tools in the shedCUtacomaTIGER is one of the sharper tools in the shedCUtacomaTIGER is one of the sharper tools in the shed

CUtacomaTIGER's Tacoma Gallery
do you have to pack the bearings with grease or not since they are pressed in?
Old 11-21-2011, 04:20 PM   #19

ST3VE's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by CUtacomaTIGER View Post
do you have to pack the bearings with grease or not since they are pressed in?
I am not sure if you are suppose to add more grease but I did just to be safe. When I took it all apart I just figured since it was apart that I would do it then.
Old 11-23-2011, 08:07 PM   #20
wileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shed

wileyC's Tacoma Gallery
these wheel bearings don't seem to last like you hear on most other vehicles... are they going bad from driving through water/mud, etc... just curious why i'm seeing a lot of wheel bearing threads lately