LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Timbren Suspension Kit on Tacoma

Old 09-06-2011, 07:24 PM   #1
gerrymoose is on a distinguished road
gerrymoose's Tacoma Gallery
Timbren Suspension Kit on Tacoma

I want to install a Timbren rear Suspension Kit on my 2011 Tacoma. Looks like I need to remove the bumper stop in order to install it. I presume the Timbrens basically replace the bump stop which is on the springs. Has anyone installed these on a Post 2006 Tacoma? Were there any problems with the install?
Old 09-06-2011, 07:25 PM   #2
sees what you did there.
KPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by gerrymoose View Post
I want to install a Timbren rear Suspension Kit on my 2011 Tacoma. Looks like I need to remove the bumper stop in order to install it. I presume the Timbrens basically replace the bump stop which is on the springs. Has anyone installed these on a Post 2006 Tacoma? Were there any problems with the install?
You may want to do a search for " timbrens". You will find that several members run them.
Old 09-07-2011, 06:24 AM   #4
skytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: Gunners Mate
Name: Dave
skytower's Tacoma Gallery
Easy with basic hand tools. You'll need a deepwell socket and breaker bar.
They replace the stock bump stops. It does make for a little rougher ride, but works well when towing/loaded. Best value compared to other add-ons.
I have them on mine. I'm happy with them.
Old 09-07-2011, 09:26 AM   #5
YGWYPF
RainDodger is one of the sharper tools in the shedRainDodger is one of the sharper tools in the shedRainDodger is one of the sharper tools in the shedRainDodger is one of the sharper tools in the shedRainDodger is one of the sharper tools in the shedRainDodger is one of the sharper tools in the shedRainDodger is one of the sharper tools in the shedRainDodger is one of the sharper tools in the shedRainDodger is one of the sharper tools in the shedRainDodger is one of the sharper tools in the shedRainDodger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Naval Aviator
RainDodger's Tacoma Gallery
Simple install. Took 20 minutes per side. Go out there the night before and spray a bunch of WD40 or some other kind of penetrating oil on the 4 bolts on the U-shaped brackets that hold the axle to the spring pack, and it will be easier. No kidding... easy. You DON'T need to jack your truck up or anything at all.... basically ignore the stupid instructions that come with the Timbrens. Loosen all the bolts, slide out the old bumpers, slide in the Timbrens and tighten down the 4 bolts to 75 ft/lbs.
Old 09-07-2011, 09:30 AM   #6
Banned
johnw is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnw is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnw is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnw is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnw is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnw is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnw is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnw is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnw is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnw is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnw is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: john
johnw's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to johnw Send a message via Yahoo to johnw
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainDodger View Post
Simple install. Took 20 minutes per side. Go out there the night before and spray a bunch of WD40 or some other kind of penetrating oil on the 4 bolts on the U-shaped brackets that hold the axle to the spring pack, and it will be easier. No kidding... easy. You DON'T need to jack your truck up or anything at all.... basically ignore the stupid instructions that come with the Timbrens. Loosen all the bolts, slide out the old bumpers, slide in the Timbrens and tighten down the 4 bolts to 75 ft/lbs.
I would not advise people to not jack there truck off the ground when loosening the ubolts. You should always jack the truck up and set on jack stands when messong with suspension
Old 09-07-2011, 12:36 PM   #7
skytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnw View Post
I would not advise people to not jack there truck off the ground when loosening the ubolts. You should always jack the truck up and set on jack stands when messong with suspension
You can get away with doing one side at a time, but it is safer to use jack stands.
Old 09-07-2011, 05:56 PM   #8
tmiller is on a distinguished road
Name: Troy
tmiller's Tacoma Gallery
timbrens for sale

I will sell you mine for $100. They are 1 year old.
Old 09-07-2011, 08:44 PM   #9
YGWYPF
RainDodger is one of the sharper tools in the shedRainDodger is one of the sharper tools in the shedRainDodger is one of the sharper tools in the shedRainDodger is one of the sharper tools in the shedRainDodger is one of the sharper tools in the shedRainDodger is one of the sharper tools in the shedRainDodger is one of the sharper tools in the shedRainDodger is one of the sharper tools in the shedRainDodger is one of the sharper tools in the shedRainDodger is one of the sharper tools in the shedRainDodger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

There is no need to jack the truck because the axle is on the BOTTOM of the spring packs. there is no sense in in jacking it up. In fact if you do and the axle is hanging, it will be a bitch to loosen the bolts, as they will be supporting the weight of the axle as you loosen them. It is totally safe to leave the truck on the ground and take off the U bolts that go over the spring packs.

Just look at it for a second and it will make sense. Believe me.

(If it was the reverse - if the axle was on the top of the spring pack like some other vehicles, you would want to support the springs so there would be no tension on the U bolts.) Just use your head.
Old 09-08-2011, 07:57 AM   #10
gerrymoose is on a distinguished road
gerrymoose's Tacoma Gallery
I was looking at it after reading the instructions about lifting up the truck, and with the axle under the spring pack I figured all I had to do was loosen the U-Bolts and remove the old bump stop and slide in the Timbren. It's reall easy to get at the U Bolts and bump stop just from crawling under the truck. Thanks all for the info. I have the Timbrens arriving tomorrow, so I will post after I install then.
Old 09-08-2011, 08:11 AM   #11
As long as you only do one side at a time, the axle will stay put. If you loosen both sides, there is a potential for the axle to roll out. Slim chance, but still a chance.
Old 09-08-2011, 08:22 AM   #12
Dark Lord of the Sith
wrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Instructor: AAAB/Bravo Co 1-210 AVN REGT/128th AVN BDE (Provisional)
Name: Ryan Mathis
Location: Lives: Newport News, VA(soon to be Ft. Carson)/Home: Leesburg, GA
wrmathis's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via ICQ to wrmathis Send a message via Yahoo to wrmathis
id be willing to jack it up and put it on jack stands and pull the tire of just to have more room. i installed mine with out removing the tire and it kinda sucked. would have been easier to do it with the tires removed
Old 09-08-2011, 08:23 AM   #13
Almost there
08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Oliver
08pretaco's Tacoma Gallery
those are pretty pricey....might want to look into these:

http://www.wheelersoffroad.com/05uptacomasuperbumps.htm

I have heard NOTHING but GREAT things about these and they are pretty affordable as well, timbrens are close to 2x the price IIRC
Old 09-08-2011, 08:32 AM   #14
YGWYPF

Gerrymoose, you figured it out. Good man. It's not difficult at all, as I said. 08pretaco... you're right.... those look like they'd work just as well as the Tiimbrens. If I had known about them, I would have tried them. I mean... what can they screw up? They're just rubber.... unless they're really soft or something. I have to admit that the Timbrens are very hard - you do notice it when you bottom out. There's an audible bump and it's apparent when you hit them.

Then again... I hate to tell some of you, but... a Tacoma is actually a TRUCK! Yes, a truck! It's not a soft-riding passenger car! You want a cushy ride? Go buy that Camry that's next to the Tacoma at the dealership....
Old 09-08-2011, 08:41 AM   #15
Almost there
08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

From the information I have gathered, the Wheelers stops are a little bigger so they start dampening sooner preventing a harder, more abrupt hit. Thats from what I gather which might be incorrect though.
Old 09-08-2011, 08:43 AM   #16
Questions... Morphology? Longevity? Incept dates?
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 08pretaco View Post
those are pretty pricey....might want to look into these:

http://www.wheelersoffroad.com/05uptacomasuperbumps.htm

I have heard NOTHING but GREAT things about these and they are pretty affordable as well, timbrens are close to 2x the price IIRC
I'm deciding between these and Timbrens right now
Old 09-08-2011, 08:48 AM   #17
Almost there

What are you pro's and con's between the 2 set-ups?
Old 09-08-2011, 08:51 AM   #18
Questions... Morphology? Longevity? Incept dates?
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 08pretaco View Post
What are you pro's and con's between the 2 set-ups?
I'm just learning all that now .

Seems that the Timbrens are better for load carrying , but rebound a bit when engaged .

Superbumps offer a smoother cushion but don't contribute as much for load carrying .

I have Dakars so I'm now leaning towards the Superbumps
Old 09-08-2011, 08:51 AM   #19
YGWYPF

Who can say? I doubt there's anyone that's tried both.
Old 09-08-2011, 08:53 AM   #20
Buckeye Member
cc350 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcc350 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcc350 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcc350 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcc350 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcc350 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcc350 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcc350 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcc350 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcc350 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcc350 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: HT1st Class
Name: Chas
cc350's Tacoma Gallery
An extended bump stop isn't the same as Timbrens! Timbrens are designed to help carry a load and work as a bump stop. I've run them for awhile now and empty you can feel them contact a little(not bad) but with a load they are nice and smooth.