1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Timbren Suspension Kit on Tacoma

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by gerrymoose, Sep 6, 2011.

1. Sep 6, 2011 at 7:24 PM
    gerrymoose

gerrymoose [OP] Member

Member:
    I want to install a Timbren rear Suspension Kit on my 2011 Tacoma. Looks like I need to remove the bumper stop in order to install it. I presume the Timbrens basically replace the bump stop which is on the springs. Has anyone installed these on a Post 2006 Tacoma? Were there any problems with the install?

2. Sep 6, 2011 at 7:25 PM
    TexasTacoma37

TexasTacoma37 Well-Known Member

Member:
    You may want to do a search for " timbrens". You will find that several members run them.

3. Sep 6, 2011 at 8:54 PM
    woods247

woods247 Well-Known Member

Member:
    back yonder
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Sport Double Cab 4x4
    SAWs front, Fox resi rear, Total Chaos UCAs, 17" BBS RD-Truck FJ Rims with 255 BFG KM2s, TRD exhaust/intake, OME Springs, All-Pro flip kit, Timbren rear bumpstops, custom spare carrier, All-Pro skids, Beefed Sliders, All-Pro front bumper, Warn M8000 w/Synth MasterPull line, Procomp 30" LED lightbar, Bestop Soft topper, Safari Snorkel, CBI Bushmaster (custom), Baja Racks Utility rack, All Pro custom bed rack, Leer 100XQ
    I'm planning to install them in the back with a flip kit from All Pro this weekend. It's looks pretty easy to me.

4. Sep 7, 2011 at 6:24 AM
    skytower

skytower Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    virginia
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma 4x4
    Hitch and wiring, aux back-up light, rear strobe lights, radio and underseat sub.
    Easy with basic hand tools. You'll need a deepwell socket and breaker bar.
    They replace the stock bump stops. It does make for a little rougher ride, but works well when towing/loaded. Best value compared to other add-ons.
    I have them on mine. I'm happy with them.

5. Sep 7, 2011 at 9:26 AM
    RainDodger

RainDodger YGWYPF

Member:
    Great Northwest
    Vehicle:
    '09 Black, TRD Sport
    None yet! It's new!
    Simple install. Took 20 minutes per side. Go out there the night before and spray a bunch of WD40 or some other kind of penetrating oil on the 4 bolts on the U-shaped brackets that hold the axle to the spring pack, and it will be easier. No kidding... easy. You DON'T need to jack your truck up or anything at all.... basically ignore the stupid instructions that come with the Timbrens. Loosen all the bolts, slide out the old bumpers, slide in the Timbrens and tighten down the 4 bolts to 75 ft/lbs.

6. Sep 7, 2011 at 9:30 AM
    johnw

johnw Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    john
    orlando florida
    Vehicle:
    06 prerunner v-6 4.0L 4 door
    well you asked for specs..... 06 trd sport speedway blue 5.3l v8 4.0 camburg lift spindles extended travel icons total chaos lowers allpro 4" leaf pack 17" xd hoss rims 37/12.5/17 mickey thompson baja atz Allpro hybrid bumper grill craft grill wicked flow muffler inside i have..... wet okole real tree camo seat cover blue oznium dome light stealth sub box with 2 10" kicker comp subs kicker 400 watt amp weathertech floor mats
    I would not advise people to not jack there truck off the ground when loosening the ubolts. You should always jack the truck up and set on jack stands when messong with suspension

7. Sep 7, 2011 at 12:36 PM
    skytower

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    virginia
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma 4x4
    Hitch and wiring, aux back-up light, rear strobe lights, radio and underseat sub.
    You can get away with doing one side at a time, but it is safer to use jack stands.

8. Sep 7, 2011 at 5:56 PM
    tmiller

tmiller New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Troy
    Kenosha WI
    Vehicle:
    07 DCSport 4x4 SB
    I will sell you mine for $100. They are 1 year old.

9. Sep 7, 2011 at 8:44 PM
    RainDodger

RainDodger YGWYPF

Member:
    Great Northwest
    Vehicle:
    '09 Black, TRD Sport
    None yet! It's new!
    There is no need to jack the truck because the axle is on the BOTTOM of the spring packs. there is no sense in in jacking it up. In fact if you do and the axle is hanging, it will be a bitch to loosen the bolts, as they will be supporting the weight of the axle as you loosen them. It is totally safe to leave the truck on the ground and take off the U bolts that go over the spring packs.

Just look at it for a second and it will make sense. Believe me.

(If it was the reverse - if the axle was on the top of the spring pack like some other vehicles, you would want to support the springs so there would be no tension on the U bolts.) Just use your head.

10. Sep 8, 2011 at 7:57 AM
    gerrymoose

gerrymoose [OP] Member

Member:
    I was looking at it after reading the instructions about lifting up the truck, and with the axle under the spring pack I figured all I had to do was loosen the U-Bolts and remove the old bump stop and slide in the Timbren. It's reall easy to get at the U Bolts and bump stop just from crawling under the truck. Thanks all for the info. I have the Timbrens arriving tomorrow, so I will post after I install then.

11. Sep 8, 2011 at 8:11 AM
    skytower

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    virginia
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma 4x4
    As long as you only do one side at a time, the axle will stay put. If you loosen both sides, there is a potential for the axle to roll out. Slim chance, but still a chance.

12. Sep 8, 2011 at 8:22 AM
    wrmathis

wrmathis Dark Lord of the Sith

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Bonaire, GA
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tacoma TRD OR 4x4
    parts and stuff
    id be willing to jack it up and put it on jack stands and pull the tire of just to have more room. i installed mine with out removing the tire and it kinda sucked. would have been easier to do it with the tires removed

13. Sep 8, 2011 at 8:23 AM
    08pretaco

08pretaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    az
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tundra 4x4 CM 5.7L SR5
    @ADSracingshocks - F 3 point ohh / R 2.5 - w/clickers @camburgracing - uniball UCA @rigidindustries - 40" amber/white split, Dually XL, D2 @coopertires - 35/12.5/17 STT MAXX @bayareametalfab - low pro bed rack @toyotausa - 17" rock warrior @sdhqoffroad - rock sliders, a-pillar @hondogarage / @apple / @gaiagps / @dualgps- navigation @wheelersoffroadinc - superbumps
    those are pretty pricey....might want to look into these: I have heard NOTHING but GREAT things about these and they are pretty affordable as well, timbrens are close to 2x the price IIRC

14. Sep 8, 2011 at 8:32 AM
    RainDodger

RainDodger YGWYPF

Member:
    Great Northwest
    Vehicle:
    '09 Black, TRD Sport
    None yet! It's new!
    Gerrymoose, you figured it out. Good man. It's not difficult at all, as I said. :) 08pretaco... you're right.... those look like they'd work just as well as the Tiimbrens. If I had known about them, I would have tried them. I mean... what can they screw up? They're just rubber.... unless they're really soft or something. I have to admit that the Timbrens are very hard - you do notice it when you bottom out. There's an audible bump and it's apparent when you hit them.

Then again... I hate to tell some of you, but... a Tacoma is actually a TRUCK! Yes, a truck! It's not a soft-riding passenger car! You want a cushy ride? Go buy that Camry that's next to the Tacoma at the dealership....

15. Sep 8, 2011 at 8:41 AM
    08pretaco

Member:
    az
    Vehicle:
    @ADSracingshocks - F 3 point ohh / R 2.5 - w/clickers @camburgracing - uniball UCA @rigidindustries - 40" amber/white split, Dually XL, D2 @coopertires - 35/12.5/17 STT MAXX @bayareametalfab - low pro bed rack @toyotausa - 17" rock warrior @sdhqoffroad - rock sliders, a-pillar @hondogarage / @apple / @gaiagps / @dualgps- navigation @wheelersoffroadinc - superbumps
    From the information I have gathered, the Wheelers stops are a little bigger so they start dampening sooner preventing a harder, more abrupt hit. Thats from what I gather which might be incorrect though.

16. Sep 8, 2011 at 8:43 AM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    I'm deciding between these and Timbrens right now

17. Sep 8, 2011 at 8:48 AM
    08pretaco

Member:
    az
    Vehicle:
    What are you pro's and con's between the 2 set-ups?

18. Sep 8, 2011 at 8:51 AM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    I'm just learning all that now .

Seems that the Timbrens are better for load carrying , but rebound a bit when engaged .

Superbumps offer a smoother cushion but don't contribute as much for load carrying .

I have Dakars so I'm now leaning towards the Superbumps

19. Sep 8, 2011 at 8:51 AM
    RainDodger

RainDodger YGWYPF

Member:
    Great Northwest
    Vehicle:
    '09 Black, TRD Sport
    None yet! It's new!
    Who can say? I doubt there's anyone that's tried both.

20. Sep 8, 2011 at 8:53 AM
    cc350

cc350 Retired Member

Member:
    An extended bump stop isn't the same as Timbrens! Timbrens are designed to help carry a load and work as a bump stop. I've run them for awhile now and empty you can feel them contact a little(not bad) but with a load they are nice and smooth.

Products Discussed in

To Top