Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

steering rack bushings??

Old 09-06-2011, 08:53 PM   #1
Toolex is on a distinguished road
Toolex's Tacoma Gallery
steering rack bushings??

Hey guys, ive been having a lot of issues with "loose" steering lately and found out today that my steering rack has a lot of play in it.I've called around and i cannot find anyone selling replacement rack bushings, only the whole rack itself. Has anyone delt with this yet? Only 78k on an 06. I would rather not have to buy the whole rack
Old 09-06-2011, 09:02 PM   #2
distinguished bongo truck art critic
Mxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Military Police Platoon Leader
Name: Chase
Mxpatriot's Tacoma Gallery
Before swapping the rack I'd check the torque on the bolts holding the power steering rack in place, your upper control arm bolt/nut torque, and bleed the power steering system. I haven't seen bushings for 2nd gens for sale either.

I bled mine last week and it removed almost every bit of play out of the steering.
Old 09-06-2011, 09:55 PM   #3
charles08tacoma has much to be proud ofcharles08tacoma has much to be proud ofcharles08tacoma has much to be proud ofcharles08tacoma has much to be proud ofcharles08tacoma has much to be proud ofcharles08tacoma has much to be proud ofcharles08tacoma has much to be proud ofcharles08tacoma has much to be proud ofcharles08tacoma has much to be proud of

charles08tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mxpatriot View Post
Before swapping the rack I'd check the torque on the bolts holding the power steering rack in place, your upper control arm bolt/nut torque, and bleed the power steering system. I haven't seen bushings for 2nd gens for sale either.

I bled mine last week and it removed almost every bit of play out of the steering.
Does anyone have the torque specs for the above mentioned bolts?
Old 09-07-2011, 08:26 AM   #4
Toolex's Tacoma Gallery
Hmm, is it normal for the steering rack to move a bit when turning the wheels?
Old 09-07-2011, 09:15 AM   #5
Defined is one of the sharper tools in the shedDefined is one of the sharper tools in the shedDefined is one of the sharper tools in the shedDefined is one of the sharper tools in the shedDefined is one of the sharper tools in the shedDefined is one of the sharper tools in the shedDefined is one of the sharper tools in the shedDefined is one of the sharper tools in the shedDefined is one of the sharper tools in the shedDefined is one of the sharper tools in the shedDefined is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: mike
Defined's Tacoma Gallery
replaceable bushings for the steering rack are coming soon!
Old 09-07-2011, 11:56 AM   #6
Toolex's Tacoma Gallery
Any idea of when and who's going to make them? this is super frustrating; I don't want to spend $$$ on a new steering rack just to end up with the same crappy bushings and the same steering wheel slop. This problem alone is making me consider getting rid of my truck.