Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

OH crap! what happened to my driveline?

Old 09-07-2011, 08:06 AM   #1
JAG is one of the sharper tools in the shedJAG is one of the sharper tools in the shedJAG is one of the sharper tools in the shedJAG is one of the sharper tools in the shedJAG is one of the sharper tools in the shedJAG is one of the sharper tools in the shedJAG is one of the sharper tools in the shedJAG is one of the sharper tools in the shedJAG is one of the sharper tools in the shedJAG is one of the sharper tools in the shedJAG is one of the sharper tools in the shed
JAG's Tacoma Gallery
OH crap! what happened to my driveline?

I just got done installing a three inch lift and it looks like it is really leaking bad. I had a lil leak before the lift, but now its like a bunch of fluid just recently shot out. Is this the tranny fluid? The one smear on the drive shaft is from my thumb... i was just rubbing the oil off my finger cause i was trying to see what color it was.

Old 09-07-2011, 08:12 AM   #2
Defined is one of the sharper tools in the shedDefined is one of the sharper tools in the shedDefined is one of the sharper tools in the shedDefined is one of the sharper tools in the shedDefined is one of the sharper tools in the shedDefined is one of the sharper tools in the shedDefined is one of the sharper tools in the shedDefined is one of the sharper tools in the shedDefined is one of the sharper tools in the shedDefined is one of the sharper tools in the shedDefined is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: mike
Defined's Tacoma Gallery
yup ! transmission output seal is shot
Old 09-07-2011, 08:20 AM   #3
JAG is one of the sharper tools in the shedJAG is one of the sharper tools in the shedJAG is one of the sharper tools in the shedJAG is one of the sharper tools in the shedJAG is one of the sharper tools in the shedJAG is one of the sharper tools in the shedJAG is one of the sharper tools in the shedJAG is one of the sharper tools in the shedJAG is one of the sharper tools in the shedJAG is one of the sharper tools in the shedJAG is one of the sharper tools in the shed
JAG's Tacoma Gallery
thanks bud for the help. i did a search on what you told me and found out its a reoccurring problem...

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...l-problem.html

thanks again.
Old 09-07-2011, 08:22 AM   #4
GTACO
GTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedGTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedGTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedGTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedGTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedGTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedGTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedGTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedGTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedGTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedGTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Gabriel
GTACO's Tacoma Gallery
Damn that sucks..... I think mine will soon look like that too. Need to get it fixed
Old 09-07-2011, 08:43 AM   #5
JAG's Tacoma Gallery
found this.....

tsb 90311-40034

http://www.toyotapart.com/A750E_TRAN...SB-0173-09.pdf
Old 09-07-2011, 08:47 AM   #6
I Liquid I is one of the sharper tools in the shedI Liquid I is one of the sharper tools in the shedI Liquid I is one of the sharper tools in the shedI Liquid I is one of the sharper tools in the shedI Liquid I is one of the sharper tools in the shedI Liquid I is one of the sharper tools in the shedI Liquid I is one of the sharper tools in the shedI Liquid I is one of the sharper tools in the shedI Liquid I is one of the sharper tools in the shedI Liquid I is one of the sharper tools in the shedI Liquid I is one of the sharper tools in the shed

I Liquid I's Tacoma Gallery
Mine leaked, though not nearly that much. I just had a drop. Changed the seal and it still leaked a drop. Stopped paying attention to it for now. Once I changed the universals and the carrier bearing the leaking stopped I think. Might want to check if you have some damaged parts down there and if there is any play. Change any damaged parts along with the seal. At least that's what fixed it for me.
Old 09-07-2011, 10:59 AM   #7
JAG's Tacoma Gallery
i hope this is something I can do by myself bc i can't imagine how much it will cost me at the dealer (long over warranty).... I am somewhat mechanically inclined, but i don't know if this is going to be over my head with having to refill the tranny and aligning the drive shaft correctly?
Old 09-07-2011, 11:21 AM   #8
I'll eat all your food.
UndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Justin
UndefinedTaco's Tacoma Gallery
It's easy peasy..especially since your lifted.

Try doing it on a 99' Tacoma that the front cross member is 5 inches off the ground...and you have to lift your suspension using your fenders to get a normal floor jack under the frame...

If you have a bent dust shield, it can cause the seal to blow out...I.E. expedience from my 99

It could be tranny fluid..but look around your truck. Is the steering rack seals good? (any leaks over by the rack?)

It probably is your tailshaft seal. I'd put some fluid in that beezy for now.
Old 09-07-2011, 11:30 AM   #9
I Liquid I is one of the sharper tools in the shedI Liquid I is one of the sharper tools in the shedI Liquid I is one of the sharper tools in the shedI Liquid I is one of the sharper tools in the shedI Liquid I is one of the sharper tools in the shedI Liquid I is one of the sharper tools in the shedI Liquid I is one of the sharper tools in the shedI Liquid I is one of the sharper tools in the shedI Liquid I is one of the sharper tools in the shedI Liquid I is one of the sharper tools in the shedI Liquid I is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG View Post
i hope this is something I can do by myself bc i can't imagine how much it will cost me at the dealer (long over warranty).... I am somewhat mechanically inclined, but i don't know if this is going to be over my head with having to refill the tranny and aligning the drive shaft correctly?
If you mean the Universals thing, its real easy. If you have a torch to heat it up and a good hammer, they will come out very fast. Taking out the whole driveline is needed and advised of course.

As far as aligning the drive shaft. Why would it not be aligned already? Only things that could be causing problems would be the universals and the carrier bearing and its easy to see if they are damaged. Then again, I could be wrong, as im not a mechanic, im just a tree shade mechanic that likes to take everything apart.

As far as refilling the tranny, there is a DYI here, somewhere, over the rainbo... ehhh, in the 2nd Gen How To's...

You should probably get under the truck and check those first, then get back here to see what you really need to do and what you don't.
Old 09-07-2011, 11:51 AM   #10
JAG's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by UndefinedTaco View Post
It's easy peasy..especially since your lifted.

Try doing it on a 99' Tacoma that the front cross member is 5 inches off the ground...and you have to lift your suspension using your fenders to get a normal floor jack under the frame...

If you have a bent dust shield, it can cause the seal to blow out...I.E. expedience from my 99

It could be tranny fluid..but look around your truck. Is the steering rack seals good? (any leaks over by the rack?)

It probably is your tailshaft seal. I'd put some fluid in that beezy for now.
whoa yeah lifted is prob gonna be easier. lol thanks man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Liquid I View Post
If you mean the Universals thing, its real easy. If you have a torch to heat it up and a good hammer, they will come out very fast. Taking out the whole driveline is needed and advised of course.

As far as aligning the drive shaft. Why would it not be aligned already? Only things that could be causing problems would be the universals and the carrier bearing and its easy to see if they are damaged. Then again, I could be wrong, as im not a mechanic, im just a tree shade mechanic that likes to take everything apart.

As far as refilling the tranny, there is a DYI here, somewhere, over the rainbo... ehhh, in the 2nd Gen How To's...

You should probably get under the truck and check those first, then get back here to see what you really need to do and what you don't.
i thought i could just drop the drive shaft and put the new double lipped seal in and add some tranny oil and that would be fine. I just didn't know how easy it is to get the drive shaft back up once i let it down.

Things that I think are gonna be easy end up being difficult and drawn out. for example it took me four hours to install the firestone air bag kit yesterday, but i had no install manual in my defense.
Old 09-07-2011, 02:15 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG View Post
whoa yeah lifted is prob gonna be easier. lol thanks man!

i thought i could just drop the drive shaft and put the new double lipped seal in and add some tranny oil and that would be fine. I just didn't know how easy it is to get the drive shaft back up once i let it down.

Things that I think are gonna be easy end up being difficult and drawn out. for example it took me four hours to install the firestone air bag kit yesterday, but i had no install manual in my defense.
Well yeah, if you are just going to install the seal, its a matter of releasing the 2 bolts from the carrier bearing (be careful so it doesn't drop) and pulling down the shaft. Then you take out the old seal with a set of pliers, very easy, install new one and secure it. Put shaft back and the 2 bolts from the carrier bearing.

Done. You should be able to do without lifting the vehicle at all in under 15 minutes.

Note: Make sure everything is clean. Don't let any debris be on the connecting parts.
Old 09-08-2011, 04:34 PM   #12
JAG's Tacoma Gallery
i couldn't get the splines from the driveshaft to align.... researched a lil... i then blocked off the wheels so the truck can't move. then i put the truck in neutral and released parking breaking. the splines in the tranny were able to move then and I was able to slip the driveshaft back in like nothing. now i need fill the tranny fluid back.
Old 09-09-2011, 04:19 PM   #13

So ur fixed?
Old 09-10-2011, 02:29 AM   #14
JAG's Tacoma Gallery
Yep! Got a pump to fill the tranny back up. I'm gonna have to have it checked tho bc i might of lost a lot of fluid since I saw the undercarriage was all saturated.