Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Would you buy a truck with an oil leak?

Old 09-07-2011, 03:44 PM   #1
saugus is on a distinguished road
saugus's Tacoma Gallery
Would you buy a truck with an oil leak?

Just looked at a 2007 regular cab stick with 90k. It has a slight leak around the right edge of the oil pan in the front. Seems to be from the pan gasket but not sure. Is that common on these? Should I walk away from this?
Old 09-07-2011, 06:47 PM   #2
Science!
AndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shed

AndrewFalk's Tacoma Gallery
If you're not positive what you're doing, I would have a trusted mechanic look at it and tell you their thoughts on the truck. Otherwise, a simple leak that could be fixed with a new gasket would not really deter me from buying.
Old 09-07-2011, 07:04 PM   #3
07TaCo07 is on a distinguished road
07TaCo07's Tacoma Gallery
I think there is a tsb about leaking valve cover gasket. I had oil on the bottom of the oil pan got the tsb done and no more leak
Old 09-07-2011, 07:47 PM   #4
saugus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewFalk View Post
If you're not positive what you're doing, I would have a trusted mechanic look at it and tell you their thoughts on the truck. Otherwise, a simple leak that could be fixed with a new gasket would not really deter me from buying.
Yeah the salesman was saying the same thing. I was just paranoid that it might be major. Pan and valve cover is a breeze. rear and front seals not. Anyway there are a lot of fish in the sea so I think I will move on to less uncertainty.
Old 09-08-2011, 07:44 AM   #5
Don't ask questions you don't want the answer to..
chadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shed

chadderkdawg's Tacoma Gallery
I wouldn't buy a vehicle that you know you already have to fix, if the dealer is good, they will fix it or tell you to move on.
Old 09-08-2011, 07:45 AM   #6
buddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force: 2nd Bomb Wing
buddywh1's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by saugus View Post
Just looked at a 2007 regular cab stick with 90k. It has a slight leak around the right edge of the oil pan in the front. Seems to be from the pan gasket but not sure. Is that common on these? Should I walk away from this?
Is this a V6 4x4? there's definitely a TSB for leak timing chain cover gasket. It would have been covered under 6/60 warranty, but that's not an option now and it's a pain to fix on 4x4 ($$$ if done by dealer.)

But, IMO, if the leak's not bad so what? A little oil doesn't harm anything... it all depends on how bad. I'd pass on it if it looks like it'll leave drips on the driveway and necessitate checking oil at every fill up. If I owned already it would be cheaper living with that than fixing it, but there's no sense in buying-in to it.
Old 09-08-2011, 07:55 AM   #7
saugus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by buddywh1 View Post
Is this a V6 4x4? there's definitely a TSB for leak timing chain cover gasket. It would have been covered under 6/60 warranty, but that's not an option now and it's a pain to fix on 4x4 ($$$ if done by dealer.)

But, IMO, if the leak's not bad so what? A little oil doesn't harm anything... it all depends on how bad. I'd pass on it if it looks like it'll leave drips on the driveway and necessitate checking oil at every fill up. If I owned already it would be cheaper living with that than fixing it, but there's no sense in buying-in to it.
It's the 2.7L. My corolla has leaked oil and power steering and brake fluid at different times. I fixed the ps and brakes my self. The oil leak was valve cover and fixed when timing belt was changed. I know oil leaking a little is not the end of the world, but oil can damage rubber parts like engine mounts and tires. So I'd fix it if purchased. Anyway that was the first truck I looked at so I am in no hurry to grab it up.
Old 09-09-2011, 09:22 AM   #8
saugus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by god View Post
Who said anything about a dealer?
Virtually *all* used cars will need to have *something* fixed. Its just a question about how hard it is to fix what you need or want to have fixed and how much it helps you get the price down by. Everything that is wrong with it is a point in your favor for negotiating the price down. Hell, for the right price, I'd take one with a totally destroyed engine. I.e., what is it worth to **the buyer** in its present condition?
I kind of implied dealer. Anyway I settled with another higher mileage vehicle for a couple grand less. I could not find one thing wrong except worn tires. No leaks
Old 09-09-2011, 09:30 AM   #9
Wally is one of the sharper tools in the shedWally is one of the sharper tools in the shedWally is one of the sharper tools in the shedWally is one of the sharper tools in the shedWally is one of the sharper tools in the shedWally is one of the sharper tools in the shedWally is one of the sharper tools in the shedWally is one of the sharper tools in the shedWally is one of the sharper tools in the shedWally is one of the sharper tools in the shedWally is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Wally's Tacoma Gallery
You didn't say if it an I4, V6, 2WD or a 4X4. It could affect the cost of repair quite a bit.

The oil pan is in 2 pieces, there's an aluminum body that bolts to the bottom of the engine block and a smaller stamped metal sump that bolts onto the back section of that.

If the leak is from the back sump, any vehicle configuration would be an easy fix.

If it's from the seal between the main engine block and the aluminum housing portion of the oil pan, then there is a lot more work required to remove it and reseal it.

Oil leak is no big deal ... just make sure you understand exactly what is required to fix it.
Old 09-09-2011, 09:31 AM   #10
Wally is one of the sharper tools in the shedWally is one of the sharper tools in the shedWally is one of the sharper tools in the shedWally is one of the sharper tools in the shedWally is one of the sharper tools in the shedWally is one of the sharper tools in the shedWally is one of the sharper tools in the shedWally is one of the sharper tools in the shedWally is one of the sharper tools in the shedWally is one of the sharper tools in the shedWally is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Wally's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by saugus View Post
I kind of implied dealer. Anyway I settled with another higher mileage vehicle for a couple grand less. I could not find one thing wrong except worn tires. No leaks
LOL, too late ... never mind.
Old 09-09-2011, 10:18 AM   #11
Senior NEWBIE
Tigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Isaac
Tigahshark's Tacoma Gallery
If your not really sure where the oil leak is try ask the guy if he can engine grease that area for you or even you do it for him and run the truck to see if you can see exactly where its coming from, thats what they did to my ford at the auto shop and that worked.
Old 09-09-2011, 10:19 AM   #12
Senior NEWBIE
Tigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Isaac
Tigahshark's Tacoma Gallery
Shit scratched what i just said since you bought another one!