Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Going over 5k mi OK?

Old 09-07-2011, 05:38 PM   #1
Bajones is a jewel in the roughBajones is a jewel in the roughBajones is a jewel in the rough
Bajones's Tacoma Gallery
Going over 5k mi OK?

Dumb newbie question but it looks like I won't get in for service until about 5600 mi. I want my truck to last and am hoping this won't be a big deal?
Old 09-07-2011, 05:40 PM   #2
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
I wouldn't.
Old 09-07-2011, 05:41 PM   #4
toyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rob
toyotatacomaTRD's Tacoma Gallery
It's probably fine. I wouldn't do it on my truck, but I am always overly cautious. Are you running sythetic?
Old 09-07-2011, 06:40 PM   #5
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
What kind of driving? If it's tough driving, heavy hauling, towing, etc, I wouldn't push it. If it's just cruising, it's not the end of the world. It's not like your oil automatically goes bad at 5k miles on the dot. That being said, I'd try to get it done before if you can, it can only help your engine's longevity.
Old 09-07-2011, 06:44 PM   #6
Banned
97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Eric
97yota4wd's Tacoma Gallery
you will be fine. IMO
Old 09-07-2011, 06:45 PM   #7
Motorboatin' SOB
Fink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Former FF/EMT
Name: Chris
Fink's Tacoma Gallery
If it is still under any kind of warranty, I would recommend getting it changed it before 5,000mi.

Fink
Old 09-07-2011, 06:45 PM   #8
Junebug McQuinn is one of the sharper tools in the shedJunebug McQuinn is one of the sharper tools in the shedJunebug McQuinn is one of the sharper tools in the shedJunebug McQuinn is one of the sharper tools in the shedJunebug McQuinn is one of the sharper tools in the shedJunebug McQuinn is one of the sharper tools in the shedJunebug McQuinn is one of the sharper tools in the shedJunebug McQuinn is one of the sharper tools in the shedJunebug McQuinn is one of the sharper tools in the shedJunebug McQuinn is one of the sharper tools in the shedJunebug McQuinn is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Junebug McQuinn's Tacoma Gallery
I went to 5400 miles, but I wouldn't do it again. I'd rather be safe than risk taking life off of my engine. I think you're fine, but from now on I'd change it on schedule.
Old 09-07-2011, 07:45 PM   #9
Science!
AndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shed

AndrewFalk's Tacoma Gallery
You won't hurt a thing. Typically, I go 5000-5500 between changes. I'm gonna take this next one to 6k+ (as long as I don't do any real hard driving/ heavy hauling).
Old 09-07-2011, 07:50 PM   #10
JKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

JKD's Tacoma Gallery
I would be surprised if conventional oil were actually 'bad' even at 7500 miles of normal driving.

If you're towing 6500 pounds uphill in the desert most of the time, probably you want to stick to a 5k or less oil change schedule. If you're driving like normal people drive, I would not lose any sleep over 600 additional miles.
Old 09-07-2011, 08:00 PM   #11
Mr Thundermaker is about to start barking fire!
RCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shed

RCBS's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKD View Post
I would be surprised if conventional oil were actually 'bad' even at 7500 miles of normal driving.

If you're towing 6500 pounds uphill in the desert most of the time, probably you want to stick to a 5k or less oil change schedule. If you're driving like normal people drive, I would not lose any sleep over 600 additional miles.
X2. My old T100 listed either 5k or 7500k for service depending on conditions. I will admit though that I changed every 3k with dino-oil.
Old 09-08-2011, 08:29 AM   #12
Don't ask questions you don't want the answer to..
chadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shed

chadderkdawg's Tacoma Gallery
Go synthetic, I take mine to 10k, no problem.
Old 09-08-2011, 08:32 AM   #13
wlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: 72nd Security Forces, Tinker AFB
Name: William
wlmuncy's Tacoma Gallery
If synthetic, no issue at all. If dyno, still no issue, but I would not do it often since the truck is basing the 5k change interval on dyno oil. But only in the US are we so damn worried about that 3-5 K oil change. Other countries have much longer change intervals.
Old 09-08-2011, 08:39 AM   #14
jzicc86 is a glorious beacon of lightjzicc86 is a glorious beacon of lightjzicc86 is a glorious beacon of lightjzicc86 is a glorious beacon of lightjzicc86 is a glorious beacon of light
Name: jake
jzicc86's Tacoma Gallery
im sure its fine but make sure i never buy a vehicle from you haha
Old 09-08-2011, 12:12 PM   #15
Bajones is a jewel in the roughBajones is a jewel in the roughBajones is a jewel in the rough
Bajones's Tacoma Gallery
I live 1.5 hrs from the closest dealer and getting an appt. was a little tough. Finally do have one scheduled in a few days. What does bother me is that the dipstick is indicating that I'm low on oil (little more than halfway between the two marks). I want to put half a quart in there but was told not to by Toyota so they can see how low I am. Hopefully the parking spot I'm in is just uneven, will try it in the garage today.
Old 09-08-2011, 12:33 PM   #18
puckstopper55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpuckstopper55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpuckstopper55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpuckstopper55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpuckstopper55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpuckstopper55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpuckstopper55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpuckstopper55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpuckstopper55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpuckstopper55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpuckstopper55 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

puckstopper55's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bajones View Post
I live 1.5 hrs from the closest dealer and getting an appt. was a little tough. Finally do have one scheduled in a few days. What does bother me is that the dipstick is indicating that I'm low on oil (little more than halfway between the two marks). I want to put half a quart in there but was told not to by Toyota so they can see how low I am. Hopefully the parking spot I'm in is just uneven, will try it in the garage today.
If I remember correctly. the manual says you will burn some oil and then lists a specific amount that is "OK". I was a bit surprised when I read this ... anyone else recall reading this?
Old 09-08-2011, 12:36 PM   #19
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bajones View Post
What does bother me is that the dipstick is indicating that I'm low on oil (little more than halfway between the two marks). I want to put half a quart in there but was told not to by Toyota so they can see how low I am. Hopefully the parking spot I'm in is just uneven, will try it in the garage today.
Between the marks is normal not low. Toyota won't care about the level unless it doesn't show up on the dipstick at all. But all engine burn some amount of oil.
Old 09-08-2011, 12:37 PM   #20
RideFast is a splendid one to beholdRideFast is a splendid one to beholdRideFast is a splendid one to beholdRideFast is a splendid one to beholdRideFast is a splendid one to beholdRideFast is a splendid one to beholdRideFast is a splendid one to behold

Name: Jesse
RideFast's Tacoma Gallery
one of the guys at my work has not changed the oil in his camry in 3 years. He drives 40 miles a day! Its got over 200k on it.

600 miles overdue, you will be fine