Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

4x4 conversion

Old 09-08-2011, 10:59 PM   #21
Vang Toua Moua is a splendid one to beholdVang Toua Moua is a splendid one to beholdVang Toua Moua is a splendid one to beholdVang Toua Moua is a splendid one to beholdVang Toua Moua is a splendid one to beholdVang Toua Moua is a splendid one to beholdVang Toua Moua is a splendid one to behold
Name: Vang
Vang Toua Moua's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyMcfly View Post
I'm sure a shop would love to do this for you, because if they know what they're doing, they'll charge you about 15+ grand to swap the parts over. Which most likely would include the frame.

Here's a suggestion:
Why not just trade your cousin your truck for their truck? Or let them drive your truck and they let you drive their truck and call it even.

yes i think a shop would love to do it, money is not the problem on me its only if it could be done without problems. haha yes ive been told that already, but i will prefer mine because its been with the family since 000 miles and it has never been used for wat it can do till me.
Old 09-08-2011, 11:03 PM   #22
mmmmmmbourbon.
xodeuce is one of the sharper tools in the shedxodeuce is one of the sharper tools in the shedxodeuce is one of the sharper tools in the shedxodeuce is one of the sharper tools in the shedxodeuce is one of the sharper tools in the shedxodeuce is one of the sharper tools in the shedxodeuce is one of the sharper tools in the shedxodeuce is one of the sharper tools in the shedxodeuce is one of the sharper tools in the shedxodeuce is one of the sharper tools in the shedxodeuce is one of the sharper tools in the shed

xodeuce's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by G scott04 View Post
Check out my truck in a week,
just gotta bolt up that front diff and swap spindles,
cost about a grand, IFS
Cough cough... transfer case... cough.. ahem...

Phew... these coughing fits get me sometimes.
Old 09-08-2011, 11:05 PM   #23
S.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
S.B.'s Tacoma Gallery
Its just swapping parts from a donor/4x4.
Old 09-08-2011, 11:06 PM   #24
The Little Truck That Could
Yoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Roland
Yoytoda's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by S.B. View Post
not on a 5 lug it isnt
Old 09-08-2011, 11:06 PM   #25
S.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
S.B.'s Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoytoda View Post
not on a 5 lug it isnt
My bad. I assumed he had a pre-runner
Old 09-08-2011, 11:14 PM   #26
Manual Transmission Enthusiast
TacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
TacomaBuzz's Tacoma Gallery
It's possible to do a conversion but it will require cutting+welding and lots of parts. 5 luggers suspension is different. It's your money though and i would love to see some pics of it!
Old 09-09-2011, 12:29 AM   #27
G scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Garrett
G scott04's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by xodeuce View Post
Cough cough... transfer case... cough.. ahem...

Phew... these coughing fits get me sometimes.
Whatcha talking about? the transfer case thats already installed?

Whats that do?

How do you take out a transmission and swap output shafts?

Help
Old 09-09-2011, 12:31 AM   #28
I'll eat all your food.
UndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Justin
UndefinedTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Whatcha talking about? the transfer case thats already installed?

Whats that do?

How do you take out a transmission and swap output shafts?

Help
Split cases
Old 09-09-2011, 12:32 AM   #29
G scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Will it look like this?

And this?

Old 09-09-2011, 12:34 AM   #30
I'll eat all your food.
UndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

And it's possible to turn your 5 lug into a 4wd...easiest way would be to SAS..doesn't seem like it but your 5 lug front was never designed nor will work for a front driven suspension.

Unless you could modify some Ranger/Explorer shit to work up front..which anything can be done..with time and tools and mostly importantly skills OR money gets shit done.

You still then gotta do a case cross member, then swap tailshafts out on 2wd transmission to be able to bolt a case..or swap in a 4wd transmission.
Front driveline..steering of some sort.
Old 09-09-2011, 12:35 AM   #31
I'll eat all your food.

Quote:
Will it look like this?

And this?

Oh an automatic? I have no frigging clue. Automatics suck.
Old 09-09-2011, 12:36 AM   #32
Quote:
Originally Posted by UndefinedTaco View Post
but your 5 lug front was never designed nor will work for a front driven suspension.
x2
Old 09-09-2011, 12:36 AM   #33
Do I have to pull this stuff out?

Old 09-09-2011, 12:37 AM   #34
and cut this?

Old 09-09-2011, 12:39 AM   #35
I'll eat all your food.

Some shit like that..or it seems like it goes like that.

Doesn't always work for some dumb reason
Old 09-09-2011, 01:07 AM   #36
2008taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed2008taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed2008taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed2008taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed2008taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed2008taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed2008taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed2008taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed2008taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed2008taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed2008taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: chris
2008taco's Tacoma Gallery
OP it is seriously not worth it. Your best bet would be to take your body off anf put it on their frame and visa versa. Any way you do it, it is not as simple as just replacing parts. you are talking about replacing all the wiring, engine, ecu, transmission, suspension, frame reinforcement, front AND rear axles, etc. Also you're going to have to report it to the dmv or get hit hard next time you smog it and they find out. If you had a shop do it I think realistically you're looking at 20-30k. 15k would be to convert a prerunner with spare or new parts, but you're having them work on 2 trucks and rip EVERYTHING out of both of them and then putting both back together. You'll have a hard time even finding a shop willing to do this.

I understand vehicular sentiment, but you would be much better off trading it in and getting a new one with 0 miles. You'd have to spend just as much anyways, plus it'd be less hassle.
Old 09-09-2011, 11:25 PM   #37
Vang Toua Moua is a splendid one to beholdVang Toua Moua is a splendid one to beholdVang Toua Moua is a splendid one to beholdVang Toua Moua is a splendid one to beholdVang Toua Moua is a splendid one to beholdVang Toua Moua is a splendid one to beholdVang Toua Moua is a splendid one to behold
Name: Vang
Vang Toua Moua's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacomaBuzz View Post
It's possible to do a conversion but it will require cutting+welding and lots of parts. 5 luggers suspension is different. It's your money though and i would love to see some pics of it!
Quote:
Originally Posted by S.B. View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2008taco View Post
OP it is seriously not worth it. Your best bet would be to take your body off anf put it on their frame and visa versa. Any way you do it, it is not as simple as just replacing parts. you are talking about replacing all the wiring, engine, ecu, transmission, suspension, frame reinforcement, front AND rear axles, etc. Also you're going to have to report it to the dmv or get hit hard next time you smog it and they find out. If you had a shop do it I think realistically you're looking at 20-30k. 15k would be to convert a prerunner with spare or new parts, but you're having them work on 2 trucks and rip EVERYTHING out of both of them and then putting both back together. You'll have a hard time even finding a shop willing to do this.

I understand vehicular sentiment, but you would be much better off trading it in and getting a new one with 0 miles. You'd have to spend just as much anyways, plus it'd be less hassle.

yeah i could weld n cut n all that, i just need the time, which i cant seem to find. lol yeah i wish it was more like just swapping parts. lol. yeah right now, im thinkin more of just keeping my tacoma and putting a locker in it with bfg 31 all terrians n a bunch more. ill probably just get me the new tacomas wen i grad from college, then i could build that one also. lol. right now im just gonna live with wat i got, ugh i wish i was still under 18, so my dad would of got me that 2011 tacoma 4x4. lol
Old 09-10-2011, 03:47 AM   #38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vang Toua Moua View Post
yeah i could weld n cut n all that, i just need the time, which i cant seem to find. lol yeah i wish it was more like just swapping parts. lol. yeah right now, im thinkin more of just keeping my tacoma and putting a locker in it with bfg 31 all terrians n a bunch more. ill probably just get me the new tacomas wen i grad from college, then i could build that one also. lol. right now im just gonna live with wat i got, ugh i wish i was still under 18, so my dad would of got me that 2011 tacoma 4x4. lol

yes
Old 09-10-2011, 04:12 AM   #39
U no kea but AINOFEA!
kauaibuilt is one of the sharper tools in the shedkauaibuilt is one of the sharper tools in the shedkauaibuilt is one of the sharper tools in the shedkauaibuilt is one of the sharper tools in the shedkauaibuilt is one of the sharper tools in the shedkauaibuilt is one of the sharper tools in the shedkauaibuilt is one of the sharper tools in the shedkauaibuilt is one of the sharper tools in the shedkauaibuilt is one of the sharper tools in the shedkauaibuilt is one of the sharper tools in the shedkauaibuilt is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army: 66H now w/ PHS
kauaibuilt's Tacoma Gallery
SAS!!!!

Junk yard D44 and divorced Toy or NP203/205 doubler. All you need is a good welder and can use a SAS kit from any reputable manufacturer (may I suggest Skymfg).

It'll be fun!
Old 09-10-2011, 07:43 AM   #40
The Little Truck That Could
Yoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Roland
Yoytoda's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by kauaibuilt View Post
SAS!!!!

Junk yard D44 and divorced Toy or NP203/205 doubler. All you need is a good welder and can use a SAS kit from any reputable manufacturer (may I suggest Skymfg).

It'll be fun!
nobody makes a bolt on sas kit and the sky kit is designed for first gens...

im not 100% sure but i think the 5 lug tacomas have a different frame than 6 luggers too. not just suspension

OP if you go start spending stupid money on your 5 lug have you thought about long travel?