Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

4x4 conversion

Old 09-08-2011, 11:58 AM   #1
Vang Toua Moua is on a distinguished road
Name: Vang
Vang Toua Moua's Tacoma Gallery
4x4 conversion

well i want to know if it will be possible. i know, i already read as many threads on people wanting converisons, but its always prerunner to 4x4. i have the 05 tacoma 5 lug, and want to convert it. i have some cousins who have the 06 tacoma v6 4x4. i want to know if i would be able to trade body parts with them to make mine 4x4 and theres into a 2wd? oh n probably have a shop do all my work or something like that.

Would i atleast be able to trade parts with someone of an older 4x4 tacoma, or maybe find a reg cab, 2.7l 4x4?
Old 09-08-2011, 12:00 PM   #2
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
I believe in this case it woudl be easier and cheaper to just buy a 4wd.
Old 09-08-2011, 12:05 PM   #3
G scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Garrett
G scott04's Tacoma Gallery
I only know about first gens not 2nd, but no the reason you can convert a prerunner
is because they are set up exactly the same as the 4x4,

I mean my shifter plate had an x where I was supposed to cut lol,

but I think there are some major differences with
the 5 lug 2wd, to v6 4x4, so everything would not be bolt on.
you could just take a look under there yourself to confirm... I believe its way to expensive to do the swap on a 2nd gen to make it worth it
instead f buying a 4x4
unlike the 1st gens..
Old 09-08-2011, 12:08 PM   #4
aficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shed
aficianado's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vang Toua Moua View Post
....to make mine 4x4 and theres into a 2wd?..........
why dont you just exchange trucks?
Old 09-08-2011, 12:09 PM   #5
ATriplett513 has much to be proud ofATriplett513 has much to be proud ofATriplett513 has much to be proud ofATriplett513 has much to be proud ofATriplett513 has much to be proud ofATriplett513 has much to be proud ofATriplett513 has much to be proud ofATriplett513 has much to be proud of
Army:
ATriplett513's Tacoma Gallery
Anything is possible, but I've never seen a 2wd to 4wd IFS conversion. The easiest way to do it is a solid axle swap (SAS). It's expensive and takes a lot to do it right. You might as well go and trade your taco against a 4x4.
Old 09-08-2011, 12:11 PM   #6
n00b
MJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: MJ
MJonAgs32's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by aficianado View Post
why dont you just exchange trucks?
x2

the resale on these trucks is great
Old 09-08-2011, 12:13 PM   #7
yeah i do want to trade it in for a 2nd gen 4x4 tacoma, but i wouldnt have to money to pay for it. the reason y i only want their part is because they bought that tacoma used, and i had mine brand spanking new, 0 miles. so if it was possible i just want to trade parts, since they know nothing about off roading.
Old 09-08-2011, 12:14 PM   #8
The Welfare Cadilac
Max-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Michael
Max-4_Yota's Tacoma Gallery
SAS that hoe
Old 09-08-2011, 12:15 PM   #9
ericb is one of the sharper tools in the shedericb is one of the sharper tools in the shedericb is one of the sharper tools in the shedericb is one of the sharper tools in the shedericb is one of the sharper tools in the shedericb is one of the sharper tools in the shedericb is one of the sharper tools in the shedericb is one of the sharper tools in the shedericb is one of the sharper tools in the shedericb is one of the sharper tools in the shedericb is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Rotorhead
Name: Inigo Montoya
ericb's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
I believe in this case it woudl be easier and cheaper to just buy a 4wd.
I agree trade or sell and buy a 4X4 model
Old 09-08-2011, 12:15 PM   #10
Whyareyoureadingthis?
VirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sam I am, green eggs and ham
VirginiaBound's Tacoma Gallery
No way you can interchange parts between your 5 lug and their 6 lug.
Old 09-08-2011, 12:16 PM   #11
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Not worth the time. Do you even need 4wd?
Old 09-08-2011, 12:21 PM   #12
G scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATriplett513 View Post
Anything is possible, but I've never seen a 2wd to 4wd IFS conversion. The easiest way to do it is a solid axle swap (SAS). It's expensive and takes a lot to do it right. You might as well go and trade your taco against a 4x4.
Check out my truck in a week,
just gotta bolt up that front diff and swap spindles,
cost about a grand, IFS
Old 09-08-2011, 12:24 PM   #13
id love to, ive just been thru so much with my truck, so the least is to convert it. ive got in crashes, splashed high school kids for kicks, and drove my fiance around with it n other things. lol. would i be able to atleast switch with a 2.7l 4x4? well ive just dont ever want to be stuck in mud, wen it starts raining here, so a 4x4 conversion will be tons of fun. lol
Old 09-08-2011, 01:04 PM   #14
Time Traveler
MartyMcfly is one of the sharper tools in the shedMartyMcfly is one of the sharper tools in the shedMartyMcfly is one of the sharper tools in the shedMartyMcfly is one of the sharper tools in the shedMartyMcfly is one of the sharper tools in the shedMartyMcfly is one of the sharper tools in the shedMartyMcfly is one of the sharper tools in the shedMartyMcfly is one of the sharper tools in the shedMartyMcfly is one of the sharper tools in the shedMartyMcfly is one of the sharper tools in the shedMartyMcfly is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: ROB
MartyMcfly's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vang Toua Moua View Post
id love to, ive just been thru so much with my truck, so the least is to convert it. ive got in crashes, splashed high school kids for kicks, and drove my fiance around with it n other things. lol. would i be able to atleast switch with a 2.7l 4x4? well ive just dont ever want to be stuck in mud, wen it starts raining here, so a 4x4 conversion will be tons of fun. lol

I'm sure a shop would love to do this for you, because if they know what they're doing, they'll charge you about 15+ grand to swap the parts over. Which most likely would include the frame.

Here's a suggestion:
Why not just trade your cousin your truck for their truck? Or let them drive your truck and they let you drive their truck and call it even.
Old 09-08-2011, 01:05 PM   #15
It works if you work it.
fbconvert has a brilliant futurefbconvert has a brilliant futurefbconvert has a brilliant futurefbconvert has a brilliant futurefbconvert has a brilliant futurefbconvert has a brilliant futurefbconvert has a brilliant futurefbconvert has a brilliant futurefbconvert has a brilliant futurefbconvert has a brilliant futurefbconvert has a brilliant future

Name: Brian
fbconvert's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by G scott04 View Post
cost about a grand, IFS

Where is the link to your 4x4 conversion I saw it once before.
Old 09-08-2011, 01:09 PM   #16
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Just trade trucks...
Old 09-08-2011, 01:10 PM   #17
The Little Truck That Could
Yoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Roland
Yoytoda's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by G scott04 View Post
cost about a grand, IFS
your also going from a prerunner to 4x4 not base model 5 lug to 4x4
Old 09-08-2011, 01:13 PM   #18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoytoda View Post
your also going from a prerunner to 4x4 not base model 5 lug to 4x4
Yeah i know thats why I told him people do the preunner because its the same truck.. the 5 lugs are set up different
Old 09-08-2011, 01:22 PM   #19
Time Traveler
MartyMcfly is one of the sharper tools in the shedMartyMcfly is one of the sharper tools in the shedMartyMcfly is one of the sharper tools in the shedMartyMcfly is one of the sharper tools in the shedMartyMcfly is one of the sharper tools in the shedMartyMcfly is one of the sharper tools in the shedMartyMcfly is one of the sharper tools in the shedMartyMcfly is one of the sharper tools in the shedMartyMcfly is one of the sharper tools in the shedMartyMcfly is one of the sharper tools in the shedMartyMcfly is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: ROB
MartyMcfly's Tacoma Gallery
God, we are waaay too nice on TW. Just think what would happen if the OP posted this on TTORA.
Old 09-08-2011, 01:31 PM   #20
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyMcfly View Post
God, we are waaay too nice on TW. Just think what would happen if the OP posted this on TTORA.
Yeah.. I posted my prerunner to 4x4 over there and they all just said buy a new truck or solid axle. lol