Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Touch up or Repaint?

Old 09-08-2011, 12:23 PM   #1
TRDsport253 is a splendid one to beholdTRDsport253 is a splendid one to beholdTRDsport253 is a splendid one to beholdTRDsport253 is a splendid one to beholdTRDsport253 is a splendid one to beholdTRDsport253 is a splendid one to beholdTRDsport253 is a splendid one to behold

TRDsport253's Tacoma Gallery
Touch up or Repaint?

Old 09-08-2011, 12:24 PM   #2
KalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: Electrician
Name: Jason
KalamaKid's Tacoma Gallery
i gave up trying to keep those things looking good. I'd just leave it and wait until someone is selling one online for cheap and replace it.
Old 09-08-2011, 12:25 PM   #3
TRDsport253 is a splendid one to beholdTRDsport253 is a splendid one to beholdTRDsport253 is a splendid one to beholdTRDsport253 is a splendid one to beholdTRDsport253 is a splendid one to beholdTRDsport253 is a splendid one to beholdTRDsport253 is a splendid one to behold

Sometimes I wish my truck was black.
Old 09-08-2011, 12:26 PM   #4

Was moving the refridgerator out the house and thought I was clear.
Old 09-08-2011, 12:28 PM   #5
KalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Branches tore mine up real good
Old 09-08-2011, 12:32 PM   #6

I may try to touch it up as it may take me for ever to find a use one. It's plastic so I'm sure its not going to rust or anything but It doesn't help when the entire truck is flawless except that one spot.
Old 09-08-2011, 12:36 PM   #8
Touch up paint didn't look good on mine as its a gash in the plastic. There is no longer a smooth surface to paint on.
Old 09-08-2011, 12:43 PM   #9
Boerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: (South Africa) Mechanized Infantry. 1 SAI Btn
Name: Ferdie
Boerseun's Tacoma Gallery
I have touched similar nicks up with the OE color matched paint touch up vials. You can get it at Advanced Auto Parts for much less than at the dealer. What is important is to get clear coat also. tape around the scratches as close as you can get to it. lightly sand the edges with wet sand paper, about 600 grit. Apply several coats of white, untill it is built up enough to be flush with the original paint. Sand down a little bit with wet sandpaper, and apply the clear coat. After that is dry sand again to be flush with the surrounding surface. If done right nobody will even see it, except you, because you know it is there. If you did not do it right, like I had done my first few, and it bothers you, you are only out about $15 in paint and a little time, so if you decide to have it painted, you have not wasted much. If you take it to a body shop to get it painted it will probably cost at least $100.
Old 09-08-2011, 02:06 PM   #10

I did a crappy job

I kinda rushed on this. Is it to late to sand down?

Old 09-08-2011, 02:37 PM   #11
Science!
AndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shed

AndrewFalk's Tacoma Gallery
Meh...I'd use touch up paint.
Old 09-08-2011, 06:29 PM   #12
plurpimpin is one of the sharper tools in the shedplurpimpin is one of the sharper tools in the shedplurpimpin is one of the sharper tools in the shedplurpimpin is one of the sharper tools in the shedplurpimpin is one of the sharper tools in the shedplurpimpin is one of the sharper tools in the shedplurpimpin is one of the sharper tools in the shedplurpimpin is one of the sharper tools in the shedplurpimpin is one of the sharper tools in the shedplurpimpin is one of the sharper tools in the shedplurpimpin is one of the sharper tools in the shed
plurpimpin's Tacoma Gallery
no its not too late to sand, once you apply the color you want to wait a day or 2 for it to dry, then sand and apply clear. then you want to wait a week or so before sanding the clear.
Old 09-09-2011, 08:18 PM   #13
What would Scooby do?
travelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brian
travelingman's Tacoma Gallery
Brake parts cleaner will remove touch up paint without doing a thing to the original paint if you want to redo anything.
Old 09-09-2011, 08:22 PM   #14
Banned
06SR5canada is one of the sharper tools in the shed06SR5canada is one of the sharper tools in the shed06SR5canada is one of the sharper tools in the shed06SR5canada is one of the sharper tools in the shed06SR5canada is one of the sharper tools in the shed06SR5canada is one of the sharper tools in the shed06SR5canada is one of the sharper tools in the shed06SR5canada is one of the sharper tools in the shed06SR5canada is one of the sharper tools in the shed06SR5canada is one of the sharper tools in the shed06SR5canada is one of the sharper tools in the shed
06SR5canada's Tacoma Gallery
scratches are custom, especially with this cheap, sweat-shop paint we rock
Old 09-09-2011, 08:28 PM   #15
pick21 is on a distinguished road
pick21's Tacoma Gallery
make sure you use a small block of some sort when u sand it or you will sand through paint around touch up. best way to do it is with a catalyst paint and no clear.
Old 09-09-2011, 08:52 PM   #16
tguil is on a distinguished road
tguil's Tacoma Gallery
This is this ultimate touch-up thread. Works well for me.

http://guidetodetailing.com/how-to-r...eep-scratches/

Tom
Old 09-09-2011, 08:55 PM   #17
jeepmor is on a distinguished road
jeepmor's Tacoma Gallery
It was fun making those wasn't it.
Old 09-09-2011, 09:02 PM   #18
Ivan is one of the sharper tools in the shedIvan is one of the sharper tools in the shedIvan is one of the sharper tools in the shedIvan is one of the sharper tools in the shedIvan is one of the sharper tools in the shedIvan is one of the sharper tools in the shedIvan is one of the sharper tools in the shedIvan is one of the sharper tools in the shedIvan is one of the sharper tools in the shedIvan is one of the sharper tools in the shedIvan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ivan
Ivan's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tguil View Post
This is this ultimate touch-up thread. Works well for me.

http://guidetodetailing.com/how-to-r...eep-scratches/

Tom

I'll be using this when needed,