Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Mobil1 vs. Penzoil Platinum vs. Goo

Old 09-09-2011, 05:34 AM   #1
Tacologist has much to be proud ofTacologist has much to be proud ofTacologist has much to be proud ofTacologist has much to be proud ofTacologist has much to be proud ofTacologist has much to be proud ofTacologist has much to be proud ofTacologist has much to be proud of
Navy: 2nd class electronic tech.
Name: Bob
Tacologist's Tacoma Gallery
Mobil1 vs. Penzoil Platinum vs. Goo

A few months ago I posted the pix below and asked what the herd thought it could be. I got a lot of responses from a gasket leak to normal condensation from short trips to a bad flux capacitor (not that because I replaced the flux cap just a week before).

I remembered seeing this condition before so I went with goo build up from short trips.

I use Mobil 1 5W-30 oil with a filter change at each oil change usual at about 6-7 K miles.

I went to Penzoil Platinum with NO changes in driving patterns and although no pix is included, the filler stayed clean as the day it was new.

Mobil 1 is good stuff but it does often show high iron when an oil analysis is done and it appears not to handle short trips as well as Penzoil.

Old Pix

Old 09-09-2011, 05:43 AM   #2
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery
Did you run an oil report through Blackstone (or some other lab)? I'd be interested in seeing the results.
Old 09-09-2011, 05:48 AM   #3
Razorecko is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazorecko is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazorecko is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazorecko is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazorecko is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazorecko is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazorecko is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazorecko is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazorecko is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazorecko is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazorecko is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Razorecko's Tacoma Gallery
mobil 1 sucks. Alot of people still praise it though its not a real true syn imho. I run Pennzoil Ultra in my 09 cts-v and that is most likely the best APPROVED oil on the market outside the amsoil products
Old 09-09-2011, 09:42 AM   #4
tim455 is on a distinguished road
Name: Tim
tim455's Tacoma Gallery
I had the same problem. A friend told me it was because I took off the stupid plastic cover on top of the engine! I put it back on and cleaned all the crap out of cap and filler neck and it hasn't been back. That cover holds heat in and prevents that condensation. Has nothing to do with the oil.
Old 09-09-2011, 10:19 AM   #5
Chris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
Name: Chris
Chris(NJ)'s Tacoma Gallery
interesting. Well, I use Mobil1 and never took the cover off. Never had a problem. But, glad to hear that the change in oil mfg worked for the op!
Old 09-09-2011, 10:26 AM   #6
KBToyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedKBToyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedKBToyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedKBToyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedKBToyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedKBToyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedKBToyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedKBToyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedKBToyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedKBToyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedKBToyota is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: Sgt (DD-214), 3d Marine Division
Name: Kurt
KBToyota's Tacoma Gallery
Mobil 1 is an old oil... PP is newer with a different additive package. I noticed PP was a lot quieter in my 4.7 Tundra as well.
Old 09-09-2011, 11:27 AM   #7
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
My sisters jeep does (05 3.7 IIRC) the same thing and she runs dyno.
Old 09-09-2011, 11:33 AM   #8
Tylerm5000 has much to be proud ofTylerm5000 has much to be proud ofTylerm5000 has much to be proud ofTylerm5000 has much to be proud ofTylerm5000 has much to be proud ofTylerm5000 has much to be proud ofTylerm5000 has much to be proud ofTylerm5000 has much to be proud ofTylerm5000 has much to be proud of
Name: Tyler
Tylerm5000's Tacoma Gallery
It isn't the oil. That is from either a cracked head, or a leaking head gasket. I had the same problem due to switching from the old style antifreeze to the new style. It mixed because there was some left over in the heater core.

Pull your spark plugs and look inside the tubes and look at the spark plugs themselves.

Mobil one wont do this to your engine. Even though it is not a group 5 or whatever, it is still a good oil.
Old 09-09-2011, 11:40 AM   #9

Marines:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tylerm5000 View Post
It isn't the oil. That is from either a cracked head, or a leaking head gasket. I had the same problem due to switching from the old style antifreeze to the new style. It mixed because there was some left over in the heater core.

Pull your spark plugs and look inside the tubes and look at the spark plugs themselves.

Mobil one wont do this to your engine. Even though it is not a group 5 or whatever, it is still a good oil.
I'm sorry but this is wrong. Mobil 1 does it, dyno does it too. It's because of two things; extended plastic fill tubes and no breathers.

Moisture cannot escape these engines.
Old 09-09-2011, 11:47 AM   #10
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
40k on my 2010 and I have been using Mobil One for the past 5 or so oil changes. I do not have the engine cover either. I never get this stuff on the bottom of my 710 cap or in the neck itself. I drive 62 miles round trip for work 4 days a week.
Old 09-09-2011, 11:47 AM   #11
Tacologist has much to be proud ofTacologist has much to be proud ofTacologist has much to be proud ofTacologist has much to be proud ofTacologist has much to be proud ofTacologist has much to be proud ofTacologist has much to be proud ofTacologist has much to be proud of
Navy: 2nd class electronic tech.
Name: Bob
Tacologist's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 98tacoma27 View Post
Did you run an oil report through Blackstone (or some other lab)? I'd be interested in seeing the results.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tim455 View Post
I had the same problem. A friend told me it was because I took off the stupid plastic cover on top of the engine! I put it back on and cleaned all the crap out of cap and filler neck and it hasn't been back. That cover holds heat in and prevents that condensation. Has nothing to do with the oil.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razorecko View Post
mobil 1 sucks. Alot of people still praise it though its not a real true syn imho. I run Pennzoil Ultra in my 09 cts-v and that is most likely the best APPROVED oil on the market outside the amsoil products
Didn't go through Blackstone on this one.

Didn't take the plastic cover off. I feel it has a lot to do with the oil.

I think it was Casterol that started calling itself synthetic oil when in fact it is hydrocracked oil which is a super highly refined dino that exhibits synthetic properties. Mobil sued and lost in court. From that point on, there seemed to be a change in Mobil's formula that a lot of people questioned but got no answers to. They MAY have gone to hydrocracking as a cost saving and profitable measure now that hydrocracked oil could be peddled as synthetic.
Old 09-09-2011, 11:48 AM   #12
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 98tacoma27 View Post
I'm sorry but this is wrong. Mobil 1 does it, dyno does it too. It's because of two things; extended plastic fill tubes and no breathers.

Moisture cannot escape these engines.
X2
Old 09-09-2011, 03:51 PM   #13
the logical one
fixer5000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfixer5000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfixer5000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfixer5000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfixer5000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfixer5000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfixer5000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfixer5000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfixer5000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfixer5000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfixer5000 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Steve
fixer5000's Tacoma Gallery
as a former jeep nut i can tell you that this is caused by short trips and not fully heating the motor up. do you do mostly short trips? i doubt its a gasket blown or anything else. just wipe the crud out and keep an eye on it
Old 09-09-2011, 05:22 PM   #14
WV150 is a jewel in the roughWV150 is a jewel in the roughWV150 is a jewel in the rough
WV150's Tacoma Gallery
I see you have a 2005 model.Have you ever changed the PCV valve? If the engine will not ventilate it will do this.Is the temp getting up to normal operating temp?If not then change thermostat.