Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

3rd gear syncro is shot, what to do??

Old 09-09-2011, 11:28 AM   #1
Ipunchwalls will become famous soon enoughIpunchwalls will become famous soon enough
Name: Brian
Ipunchwalls's Tacoma Gallery
3rd gear syncro is shot, what to do??

So I took my 05 6sp in to the dealer today because every time I would go into third I'd get a small grind and they informed me that my 3rd gear syncro was toast. They suggested the be course of action is to replace the entire transmission....estimate for that was $4700. I was floored as I cannot really afford dropping that kind of cash right now. What do you guys think I should do? I'm going to be looking for other transmission shops in the area, if anyone knows of a good shop in South Denver let me know.
Old 09-09-2011, 11:37 AM   #2
Banned
97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Eric
97yota4wd's Tacoma Gallery
if you do drive it, make sure you rev it high in second and skip 3rd and go straight to 4th.

i would have a tranny shop go in there and fix it
Old 09-09-2011, 11:57 AM   #3
wlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: 72nd Security Forces, Tinker AFB
Name: William
wlmuncy's Tacoma Gallery
I skip third all the time go from 2nd to 4th and then 4th to 6th. You could do that for awhile as you save up, but you will have to get it fixed as it will deteriorate further.
Old 09-09-2011, 12:02 PM   #4
Bullwinkle J. Moose
bjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
bjmoose's Tacoma Gallery
I guess you're past even your drivetrain warranty period?

Don't pay dealer retail for a new transmission, see a tranny shop for a repair.

Meantime, learn to double- clutch. It's not that hard and once you get the hang of it, you may decide a repair isn't worth the cost.
Old 09-09-2011, 12:03 PM   #5
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
T56 swap!
Old 09-09-2011, 12:13 PM   #6
Almost there
08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Oliver
08pretaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ipunchwalls View Post
So I took my 05 6sp in to the dealer today because every time I would go into third I'd get a small grind and they informed me that my 3rd gear syncro was toast. They suggested the be course of action is to replace the entire transmission....estimate for that was $4700. I was floored as I cannot really afford dropping that kind of cash right now. What do you guys think I should do? I'm going to be looking for other transmission shops in the area, if anyone knows of a good shop in South Denver let me know.
I went both to a tranny and the dealer....MUCH BETTER deal from the local dealer than I got from AMCO. Labor itself was close to 75% less at my dealer.
Old 09-09-2011, 12:22 PM   #7
Bullwinkle J. Moose
bjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
bjmoose's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 08pretaco View Post
I went both to a tranny and the dealer....MUCH BETTER deal from the local dealer than I got from AMCO. Labor itself was close to 75% less at my dealer.
AAMCo does NOT count as a "local transmission shop!"
Old 09-09-2011, 12:27 PM   #8
Ipunchwalls will become famous soon enoughIpunchwalls will become famous soon enough
yeah I found a few shops I'm going to give a call to, other things I should look for is clutch replacement and possibly throwout bearing wear, anything else?
Old 09-09-2011, 12:29 PM   #9
Almost there
08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Oliver
08pretaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjmoose View Post
AAMCo does NOT count as a "local transmission shop!"
OK I am sharing my experience which is why I did not put it simply as a local transmission shop rather put the companys name...moving on
Old 09-09-2011, 12:32 PM   #10
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjmoose View Post
I guess you're past even your drivetrain warranty period?
see I bought the truck from a friend and was under the impression that it had the extended warranty, but we I take it in I tell them I don't know if it still has a warranty and they either don't check or it is in fact expired. I have around 80000 mi
Old 09-09-2011, 03:22 PM   #11
Buy the Ticket take the Ride.....
Mr_Torque is a jewel in the roughMr_Torque is a jewel in the roughMr_Torque is a jewel in the roughMr_Torque is a jewel in the rough

Mr_Torque's Tacoma Gallery
Have you considered a used one?
http://www.mypartshop.com/EOL_PublicSearchResults.aspx