Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Is the Haynes book the best "first book"?

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-09-2011, 11:35 AM   #1
saugus is on a distinguished road
saugus's Tacoma Gallery
Is the Haynes book the best "first book"?

I want to buy a book for repairs and replacements for my new purchase. I know there are probably better books out there, but is the Haines book the go to book for most of you?
Old 09-09-2011, 11:58 AM   #2
wlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: 72nd Security Forces, Tinker AFB
Name: William
wlmuncy's Tacoma Gallery
This one is. http://www.customtacos.com/tech/files/05FSM/repair.html
Old 09-09-2011, 01:22 PM   #3
saugus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by wlmuncy View Post
thanks I'll bookmark that one.
Old 09-09-2011, 01:23 PM   #4
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
I will be getting a Haynes soon. I would rather much have a paper manual I can refer to instead of running upstairs to use the PC.
Old 09-09-2011, 01:30 PM   #5
Qjake is one of the sharper tools in the shedQjake is one of the sharper tools in the shedQjake is one of the sharper tools in the shedQjake is one of the sharper tools in the shedQjake is one of the sharper tools in the shedQjake is one of the sharper tools in the shedQjake is one of the sharper tools in the shedQjake is one of the sharper tools in the shedQjake is one of the sharper tools in the shedQjake is one of the sharper tools in the shedQjake is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Billy
Qjake's Tacoma Gallery
^^ Laptop, tablet, smartphone?

great link, thanks!
Old 09-09-2011, 01:31 PM   #6
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qjake View Post
^^ Laptop, tablet, smartphone?

great link, thanks!
Don't need laptop or tablet and I have a smartphone but is it really useful for that purpose? Not really.
Old 09-09-2011, 01:32 PM   #7
macgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brad
macgyver's Tacoma Gallery
The Haynes manual is like a coloring book compared to the Toyota FSM. They do work well for balancing out tables on uneven floors though.
Old 09-09-2011, 01:34 PM   #8
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by macgyver View Post
The Haynes manual is like a coloring book compared to the Toyota FSM. They do work well for balancing out tables on uneven floors though.
Yes true but the online FSMs on NCTTORA are only for 05 and 06 models and the actual books are over $400ish. Yes they are the same trucks but there has been changes.
Old 09-09-2011, 02:16 PM   #9
A_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shedA_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shedA_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shedA_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shedA_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shedA_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shedA_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shedA_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shedA_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shedA_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shedA_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Medicaly Discharged 13M
A_Ninja_Racer's Tacoma Gallery
I have owned a Haynes manual for almost every vehical I have ever owned. It is a pretty valuable tool for its price. I'm not saying its a better book then the FSM by any means but it is also a lot cheaper and like you said its easy to keep in your tool box as opposed to a laptop or PC.
Old 09-09-2011, 02:32 PM   #10
"Old Timer," compliments of 11Taco2.7
rleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Master Sergeant, Training Superintendent, 67th Network Warfare Wing
Name: Bob
rleeharris's Tacoma Gallery
I've been using Haynes manuals for 25 years. Always good to have the factory manuals if you can get them (years ago, that was a bit hard to do--Thanks Al Gore for the internet). On countless vehicles, I have rebuilt trannys, rear ends, and just about everything else using Haynes manuals and a little common sense. Still something about being able to open an actual book and get grease and crap all over it. Almost a little pride being able to pull out a well-worn grease-stained manual.

But that link above is a good think to have.
Old 09-09-2011, 02:43 PM   #11
wlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: 72nd Security Forces, Tinker AFB
Name: William
wlmuncy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
Yes true but the online FSMs on NCTTORA are only for 05 and 06 models and the actual books are over $400ish. Yes they are the same trucks but there has been changes.
I like the haynes and have them for other cars. However there is no comparison to an FSM. The problem I have with haynes is there will be times when I really wish there was a picture and they chose not to take that one.

I always go to the section I need and print it out. That way I have it on paper as I am doing the actual work. Can toss it when I am done! On top of that when someone says I need to know how to do X. I don't have to lose my book until they get around to giving it back.
Old 09-09-2011, 02:51 PM   #12
saugus's Tacoma Gallery
I am buying one for $16.47 at

http://www.amazon.com/Toyota-Tacoma-...5601045&sr=8-2

Couldn't hurt to keep it in the truck for emergencies even if I don't use it. (But I will)
Old 09-09-2011, 03:03 PM   #13
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by wlmuncy View Post
I like the haynes and have them for other cars. However there is no comparison to an FSM. The problem I have with haynes is there will be times when I really wish there was a picture and they chose not to take that one.

I always go to the section I need and print it out. That way I have it on paper as I am doing the actual work. Can toss it when I am done! On top of that when someone says I need to know how to do X. I don't have to lose my book until they get around to giving it back.
I would get both.

http://www.helminc.com/helm/homepage.asp?Style=helm
Old 09-09-2011, 03:08 PM   #14
saugus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
for $551.03 + tax and shipping, I can wait
Old 09-09-2011, 03:10 PM   #15
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by saugus View Post
for $551.03 + tax and shipping, I can wait
Buy 2 sets!

Products Discussed in this Thread