Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Weird noise when hitting gas

Old 09-09-2011, 03:20 PM   #1
iliketurtles is one of the sharper tools in the shediliketurtles is one of the sharper tools in the shediliketurtles is one of the sharper tools in the shediliketurtles is one of the sharper tools in the shediliketurtles is one of the sharper tools in the shediliketurtles is one of the sharper tools in the shediliketurtles is one of the sharper tools in the shediliketurtles is one of the sharper tools in the shediliketurtles is one of the sharper tools in the shediliketurtles is one of the sharper tools in the shediliketurtles is one of the sharper tools in the shed
iliketurtles's Tacoma Gallery
Weird noise when hitting gas

I drive a 2011 4wd tacoma w/the v6 and 6 speed..whenever I hit the gas in reverse after moving forward or hit the gas in 1st after reversing I get a single, loud click from under the truck. I can't tell exactly where it's coming from, but it sounds to be in the middle of the truck. Has anyone else experienced this or heard of it?
Old 09-09-2011, 03:24 PM   #2
the boss man
trek is on a distinguished road
trek's Tacoma Gallery
i get that
Old 09-09-2011, 03:56 PM   #3
iliketurtles is one of the sharper tools in the shediliketurtles is one of the sharper tools in the shediliketurtles is one of the sharper tools in the shediliketurtles is one of the sharper tools in the shediliketurtles is one of the sharper tools in the shediliketurtles is one of the sharper tools in the shediliketurtles is one of the sharper tools in the shediliketurtles is one of the sharper tools in the shediliketurtles is one of the sharper tools in the shediliketurtles is one of the sharper tools in the shediliketurtles is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by trek View Post
i get that
You know what causes it?
Old 09-09-2011, 06:42 PM   #4
40 Year Toyota/Chrysler Tech/ASE Master
Tacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Tacoma Mike's Tacoma Gallery
Do you get it immediately when the tires start in the other direction ???
Old 09-09-2011, 06:55 PM   #5
Tacoma Addict
Nubes has a spectacular aura aboutNubes has a spectacular aura about

Name: Chris
Nubes's Tacoma Gallery
I got that on my old 2005 A/C 5 speed. It would make a pop sound when I moved in reverse. Never knew what it was but I lived with it, doesn't do it on my 2011 though
Old 09-09-2011, 06:59 PM   #6
Not very sporting to fire on an unarmed opponent.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by iliketurtles View Post
I drive a 2011 4wd tacoma w/the v6 and 6 speed..whenever I hit the gas in reverse after moving forward or hit the gas in 1st after reversing I get a single, loud click from under the truck. I can't tell exactly where it's coming from, but it sounds to be in the middle of the truck. Has anyone else experienced this or heard of it?
That's the front brakes
Old 09-09-2011, 07:15 PM   #7
Tacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
That's the front brakes
That's where i was heading OZ but he needs to get it confirmed with a buddy listening next to the front end.
Old 09-09-2011, 07:29 PM   #8
Not very sporting to fire on an unarmed opponent.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacoma Mike View Post
That's where i was heading OZ but he needs to get it confirmed with a buddy listening next to the front end.
Sure , but I have exactly the same thing , brakes clack after changing direction
Old 09-09-2011, 07:33 PM   #9
neoflex is one of the sharper tools in the shedneoflex is one of the sharper tools in the shedneoflex is one of the sharper tools in the shedneoflex is one of the sharper tools in the shedneoflex is one of the sharper tools in the shedneoflex is one of the sharper tools in the shedneoflex is one of the sharper tools in the shedneoflex is one of the sharper tools in the shedneoflex is one of the sharper tools in the shedneoflex is one of the sharper tools in the shedneoflex is one of the sharper tools in the shed
neoflex's Tacoma Gallery
My 4Runner does that but the Tacoma doesn't yet which I believe is probably because my pads are not that far worn yet. Toyota trucks pads set themselves when you shift into reverse to the change in direction. Totally normal. Brought the Runner to two different dealers to question it and got the same answer. Seems to be normal in Toyo Trucks once the pads have a decent amount of mileage on them.
Old 09-09-2011, 08:04 PM   #10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacoma Mike View Post
Do you get it immediately when the tires start in the other direction ???
Yes. The Toyota tech seemed to have no idea what it was. I'll ask them about the brake thing. Thanks guys.
Old 09-09-2011, 08:25 PM   #11
Banned
06SR5canada is one of the sharper tools in the shed06SR5canada is one of the sharper tools in the shed06SR5canada is one of the sharper tools in the shed06SR5canada is one of the sharper tools in the shed06SR5canada is one of the sharper tools in the shed06SR5canada is one of the sharper tools in the shed06SR5canada is one of the sharper tools in the shed06SR5canada is one of the sharper tools in the shed06SR5canada is one of the sharper tools in the shed06SR5canada is one of the sharper tools in the shed06SR5canada is one of the sharper tools in the shed
06SR5canada's Tacoma Gallery
most likely brake pads shifting direction, if that aint it a u-joint is my guess.
Old 09-10-2011, 04:01 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by iliketurtles View Post
Yes. The Toyota tech seemed to have no idea what it was. I'll ask them about the brake thing. Thanks guys.
check it yourself.
If you hear this nose as described then i have a way to calm it down quite a bit.

You don't need to go there just to confirm this.
Old 09-10-2011, 04:03 AM   #13
Bah Humshit!
brian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: Work and Fly on the Four Fans of Freedom
brian's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to brian
Quote:
Originally Posted by neoflex View Post
My 4Runner does that but the Tacoma doesn't yet which I believe is probably because my pads are not that far worn yet. Toyota trucks pads set themselves when you shift into reverse to the change in direction. Totally normal. Brought the Runner to two different dealers to question it and got the same answer. Seems to be normal in Toyo Trucks once the pads have a decent amount of mileage on them.
Just FYI I have brand new pads and mine still does it
Old 09-10-2011, 04:21 AM   #14
Sometimes when I close my eyes, I can't see.
Toyota Tech31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Tech31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Tech31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Tech31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Tech31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Tech31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Tech31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Tech31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Tech31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Tech31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Tech31 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jason
Toyota Tech31's Tacoma Gallery
From our experience, if it's not pad shift, it is typically from the drive shaft changing direction, if that makes any sense. When u put it into a forward gear from reverse, the slack is taken out the first time u hit the gas, thus causing a noise like u are describing. As a Toyota Tech, this is where i would start.
Old 09-10-2011, 08:37 AM   #15
Thanks. I'll check those out in a few months when I get home.