LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Questions from a new owner

Old 09-09-2011, 07:25 PM   #1
dfisher is on a distinguished road
dfisher's Tacoma Gallery
Questions from a new owner

Just bought a new 2011 TRD Offroad and I've got a few questions. My purchase was driven by a rust recall on my 2000 Tacoma.
  • Extended Warranty - The dealer offered me one and claimed it was discounted for the rust recall. Toyota Extra Care 8yr/75K @ $675. I normally don't go for extended warranties, but maybe someone thinks this one is worth it?
  • Undercoating - Does this provide any rust protection? I didn't think so, but I thought I would ask.
  • Accessories - I want a few more items: hood protector, bed extender, roof or bed rack, seat covers. Best to buy from a dealer or does anyone have a cheaper source?

Thanks in advance and here's a pic:

Old 09-09-2011, 07:36 PM   #2
ouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Royal Canadian Air Force: Mobile Support Equipment Operator
Name: Ryan
ouyin2000's Tacoma Gallery
For aftermarket parts, the dealer ALWAYS charges out the wazoo for that stuff. Shop around and you'll see what I mean. There's some very good dealers on this site that have aftermarket parts for some great prices.
Old 09-09-2011, 07:38 PM   #3
Throughhonor is on a distinguished road

Marines: 2/25 Garden City NY
Name: Ryan
Throughhonor's Tacoma Gallery
Unfortunately I only know the answer to one of you questions, I bought a hood protector from carid.com and I know it was cheaper than if I bought it from the dealer, My overall assessment is that everything could be found for cheaper than what the dealer would offer.
Old 09-09-2011, 07:43 PM   #4
lezavw90 is on a distinguished road
lezavw90's Tacoma Gallery
I was told by the dealer that the factory hood protector doesn't do a darn thing. All it protects is the lip of the hood and you can get the same protection from some clear 3m. Aftermarket hood deflectors have more of a lip on them.
Old 09-09-2011, 07:45 PM   #5
PCHearn has a spectacular aura aboutPCHearn has a spectacular aura aboutPCHearn has a spectacular aura about

Air Force: During Viet Nam
Name: Patrick
PCHearn's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfisher View Post
  • Extended Warranty - The dealer offered me one and claimed it was discounted for the rust recall. Toyota Extra Care 8yr/75K @ $675. I normally don't go for extended warranties, but maybe someone thinks this one is worth it?
I bought a new 2011 Tacoma from the dealer in January. I shopped for an extended warranty and Jerry at the Midwest Superstore (Toyota dealer in Kansas) sent me an offer for 8 years and 75,000 miles for $659. I haven't decided whether I'll do it or not. Just wanted you to know what price I was offered.
Old 09-09-2011, 07:45 PM   #6
Banned
jjw1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjw1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjw1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjw1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjw1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjw1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjw1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjw1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjw1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjw1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjw1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Jesse
jjw1's Tacoma Gallery
The clips that hold on the bug shield scratches the paint. I suggest weathertech. And Wet Okole make good seat covers.
Old 09-09-2011, 07:46 PM   #7
2kool4school is one of the sharper tools in the shed2kool4school is one of the sharper tools in the shed2kool4school is one of the sharper tools in the shed2kool4school is one of the sharper tools in the shed2kool4school is one of the sharper tools in the shed2kool4school is one of the sharper tools in the shed2kool4school is one of the sharper tools in the shed2kool4school is one of the sharper tools in the shed2kool4school is one of the sharper tools in the shed2kool4school is one of the sharper tools in the shed2kool4school is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: FC1(SW)
Name: Beau
2kool4school's Tacoma Gallery
What part of VA are you in?
I have heard, not seen myself, that the hood protectors actually will damage your paint in the event you deside to remove it. The undercoat will help with rust, not sure how much though. As for Accessories, you will do better to shop around, If you want some Stainless Steal steps, depending on where your located I can cut you a deal on the ones off my truck.
Old 09-09-2011, 07:51 PM   #8
sees what you did there.
KPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilredstud View Post
The clips that hold on the bug shield scratches the paint. I suggest weathertech. And wet implement make good seat covers
Implement? Autocorrect fail?
Old 09-09-2011, 08:01 PM   #9
Banned
jjw1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjw1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjw1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjw1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjw1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjw1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjw1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjw1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjw1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjw1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjw1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Jesse
jjw1's Tacoma Gallery
Yes very much an autocorrect fail. Wet Okole is what I meant lol
Old 09-09-2011, 08:02 PM   #10
dfisher's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
The clips that hold on the bug shield scratches the paint. I suggest weathertech. And wet implement make good seat covers
The weathertech shield looks nice. What is wet implement?
Old 09-09-2011, 08:02 PM   #11
dfisher's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Yes very much an autocorrect fail. Wet Okole is what I meant lol
Ah. Thanks.

Products Discussed in this Thread