Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Front brake pad replacement question

Old 09-09-2011, 08:03 PM   #1
syncroguzzi is on a distinguished road
syncroguzzi's Tacoma Gallery
Front brake pad replacement question

First post, read many threads and used the pad replacement sticky to help me do my first pad change at 49,000 miles tonight.

When I changed the pads I pressed the pistons in with a wood dowel, after I first got them moving I was able to push them with my fingers - is that bad? Does that mean there is a problem? Other than that it went well, the pads I bought at autozone didn't come with shims so I resused the factory ones that were on there.

I couldn't see in the plug on the rear drums for adjustment - do you just feel for the adjuster with a screwdriver?

also what is the proper torque for the driveshaft bolts?

thanks, you guys are a great resource.
Old 09-09-2011, 09:05 PM   #2
Tearmytaco
rzimm001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrzimm001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrzimm001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrzimm001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrzimm001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrzimm001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrzimm001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrzimm001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrzimm001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrzimm001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrzimm001 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bobby
rzimm001's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by syncroguzzi View Post
First post, read many threads and used the pad replacement sticky to help me do my first pad change at 49,000 miles tonight.

When I changed the pads I pressed the pistons in with a wood dowel, after I first got them moving I was able to push them with my fingers - is that bad? Does that mean there is a problem? Other than that it went well, the pads I bought at autozone didn't come with shims so I resused the factory ones that were on there.

I couldn't see in the plug on the rear drums for adjustment - do you just feel for the adjuster with a screwdriver?

also what is the proper torque for the driveshaft bolts?

thanks, you guys are a great resource.
Usually pistons are pretty difficult to push in the entire way and require the use of a clamp. As for the rear drums, making the adjustment is pretty easy but a pain in the ass to get your head up in there. The oval hole at the top of the drum next to the leaf springs is what you want to pop open. Use a flat screw driver to move the little sprocket in there. They are auto adjusting, but may need adjustment from time to time if seized. I had this problem myself. It's best that you use a flash light to make sure what your moving. Hard to mess up but not easy to get right if you can't see what your doing. The lug nuts should be torqued to 85lbs.