1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

20,000 mile oil change question

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by jmoreau, Sep 10, 2011.

1. Sep 10, 2011 at 7:32 AM
    Toyota Tech31

Toyota Tech31 Sometimes when I close my eyes, I can't see.

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Debary, Florida
    Vehicle:
    '08 SWB Bad ass SPORT
    Air Raid air intake, 40 Series Flowmaster Muffler, Front Turn Signals Now Turn And Park, KENWOOD HEAD UNIT W/ ALL KENWOOD SPEAKER UPGRADES AND 2-10" KENWOOD SUBS BEHIND BACK SEAT, Bilstein 5125'S In Rear W/ 1.5 AAL'S, Bilstein 5100 W/ Eibachs Up Front, LR Upper control arms, NFAB steps, Bruteforce Fab Hybrid front bumper, LP10000 SuperWinch, 2 Rigid Industries SRM-2's, OKLedlightbars 6 CREE LED lights as fogs, AVID RBG, 2 4" red ring HIDs mounted behind the grille.
    I do agree with stevie though, there are alot of recs that are case by case, but there are others that we would recommend at normal intervals. In the end, as i tell many customers, it is your decision as to what you want to do or dont want to do to your vehicle.

2. Sep 10, 2011 at 7:33 AM
    steviestyles

steviestyles The "Search" tab is your friend!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Colorado Springs
    Vehicle:
    07 DC 4x4 TRD Off Road
    Bone Stock

I've been trying to get a firm answer on this. I took my truck to my servicing dealer to have both diffs fluids swapped. My dealer told me it didn't need to be done until 60K cause I have the TRD OR with a locking diff, not a limited slip. He stated the 30K mile interval is for the Sport model or a model with the LSD. Looking in my service manual, I can see where that would be vague, it says if you have the LSD, then 30K. 60K for a normal diff fluid change.

3. Sep 10, 2011 at 7:38 AM
    river rat 69

river rat 69 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Orlando, Fla., Green side of the grass
    Vehicle:
    007, trd, sr5, fmf.
    NO Chrome,3" NFab's steps,TRD skid,Wet okie's.011 grill, k&n,5100's,All this comes right off when the old lady says let's go get a NEW ONE!!!
    The Amsoil in my atv is 4 yo :eek: I love the stuff. Ran it in the old 99 taco 4X4 and will be using it in my 07 when I pass the 60K mark. I would never put over 15k on it in the Fla. heat... Jim

4. Sep 10, 2011 at 7:39 AM
    Toyota Tech31

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Debary, Florida
    Vehicle:
    '08 SWB Bad ass SPORT
    Air Raid air intake, 40 Series Flowmaster Muffler, Front Turn Signals Now Turn And Park, KENWOOD HEAD UNIT W/ ALL KENWOOD SPEAKER UPGRADES AND 2-10" KENWOOD SUBS BEHIND BACK SEAT, Bilstein 5125'S In Rear W/ 1.5 AAL'S, Bilstein 5100 W/ Eibachs Up Front, LR Upper control arms, NFAB steps, Bruteforce Fab Hybrid front bumper, LP10000 SuperWinch, 2 Rigid Industries SRM-2's, OKLedlightbars 6 CREE LED lights as fogs, AVID RBG, 2 4" red ring HIDs mounted behind the grille.
    I see what you are talking about, but as it goes, its case by case, i personally replace my diff fluid @ 30k and would recommend it to others, i have seen some pretty nasty stuff come out of the diffs that go longer than 30k per service, its extremely easy to do for a DIYer, but i would also include the transfer case while i m there. And it really doesnt cost much to do it.

5. Sep 10, 2011 at 7:48 AM
    steviestyles

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Colorado Springs
    Vehicle:
    07 DC 4x4 TRD Off Road
    Bone Stock
    What should i expect to pay to have both diffs swapped and the transfer case as well?

6. Sep 10, 2011 at 7:53 AM
    Toyota Tech31

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Debary, Florida
    Vehicle:
    '08 SWB Bad ass SPORT
    At my dealer, i believe they are $50 each, but if you have the time, it only takes a little while to drain and fill them in your driveway, as long as you have the right tools and about 9 things of gear oil, give or take.

7. Sep 10, 2011 at 7:57 AM
    river rat 69

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Vehicle:
    007, trd, sr5, fmf.
    NO Chrome,3" NFab's steps,TRD skid,Wet okie's.011 grill, k&n,5100's,All this comes right off when the old lady says let's go get a NEW ONE!!!
    Im on toyo # 5 going back to the 80. Always changed out my drive line fluid's at 30k... Never lost anything under the truck's from poor care. A good tech. can tell by STICKEN his finger :eek: in the pumpkin and putting the eye's and nose on the fluid if its time to change it or not. I have pm'ed Jason and he is not a BS cat. I know my truck better then most but in Orl. if I'm lost, Jason will be under my hood!!! Jim

8. Sep 10, 2011 at 8:01 AM
    Toyota Tech31

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Debary, Florida
    Vehicle:
    '08 SWB Bad ass SPORT
    Thanks jim, i really appreciate the nice comments. Always here to try to help, if i'm not sure, i always have the toyota info right here on the computer.

9. Sep 10, 2011 at 8:05 AM
    steviestyles

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Colorado Springs
    Vehicle:
    07 DC 4x4 TRD Off Road
    Bone Stock
    Thanks Jim and Jason. On previous vehicles, I too have never had a mechanical failure due to lack of maintenance. I had a 99 Jeep Wrangler that only had oil changes, no diff or transfer case fluid swaps. Jeep has 180K miles on it and still runs strong. Sold that Jeep to a buddy of mine 4 years ago, and accrording to him, still hasn't had any issues. I'm probably going to swap both diffs and transfer case fluid here sooon, but I'm not worried since I don't tow or off-road. I think the biggest thing to take from the whole discussion is do the maintenance required based on your driving pattern.

10. Sep 10, 2011 at 8:13 AM
    river rat 69

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Vehicle:
    007, trd, sr5, fmf.
    I know you have seen it first hand alot of tech's stand ass deep in BS. IF YOU CAN STAND THE :crapstorm:YOU WILL BE A BIG HELP TO TW.... Dont let the A'hole's get under your skin and it's a way cool place to hang. Welcome, Jim

11. Sep 10, 2011 at 8:26 AM
    river rat 69

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Vehicle:
    007, trd, sr5, fmf.
    My old AF pal's are maint. retentive.. 180k WTF MAN:confused::eek: oh i get it you wanted it to die so the wife would let you get the taco:cool: Jim

12. Sep 10, 2011 at 8:39 AM
    steviestyles

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Colorado Springs
    Vehicle:
    07 DC 4x4 TRD Off Road
    Bone Stock
    lol. I'm maintenance by trade as well, so I know all about following checklists. The Jeep was sold to a buddy of mine when I was stationed in England. He took the Jeep back to New Mexico, and I bought a Trailblazer when I got back to the States in 2005. Let's just say the Tralblazer didn't work out and I got rid of it after 16 months and bought the Taco. From that experience, it would take some time to go back to GM. That Wrangler 4.0 was all but bullet proof. Eventhough I don't care for Chrysler, that Jeep was a pretty solid vehicle. I can't say the same about the newer models though. They seem to watered down.

13. Sep 10, 2011 at 9:14 AM
    river rat 69

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Vehicle:
    007, trd, sr5, fmf.
    I think everythink is not what it used to be even our taco's.. What part of England. My dad was A.F. W.O. at Upper Hayford in the late 50's. The fam. spent 3 y's there nice place.

14. Sep 10, 2011 at 9:24 AM
    george3

george3 Well-Known Member

Member:
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    2008 2.7 Manual Trans Tacoma
    Seat belt beeper, Cabelas (Weathertech) floor liner gray, Covercraft Seat Savers in Taupe, Protecta Heavy Duty Rubber Truck Bed Mat, Pop n Lock PL5200, Pace Edwards Full Metal JackRabbit, Wolverine oil pan heater, Scangauge2, afe pro dry s filter, Remote Underbody 4 Piece LED Light Kit (White) used as Bed light, DIY Washable Cabin Air Filter, PA15-TOY, 4x4 Illuminated Switch, full synthetic, Redline Tuning Hood Support, Smittybilt Nerf Steps black powder-coated
    Please advance me the $270. I will fly down and do your oil change then you can point me to the women throwing beads off balconies. Thanks. Oh, never mind that's Nola.

15. Sep 10, 2011 at 2:42 PM
    CraigS

CraigS Member

Member:
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    11 4dr TRD Sport
    The TRD Sport has a clutch type LS rear diff. The Offroad has a a locking diff that reminds me of a shifter rail in a stick trans but is actuated by a solenoid.The clutches wear in the Sport diff so changing the oil at 30k may be a good idea.There are no clutches in the OR diff so 60k changes are more reasonable. To the original question; Ask the dealer what the list is of stuff done for $270 and pick what you want to pick. Remember that all car/truck manufacturers are trying to cut the cost of ownership for 100,000 miles for advertizing purposes.Over the last 5-6 years especially they have drastically reduced the recommended maintenance on the vehicles to keep costs down. BUT, these reductions are quite often done from one model year to the next even when there is NO mechanical change to the vehicle. I think that they are sometimes playing the odds as to how long they can go w/o fluid changes. For instance, I am sure that most all modern differentials can get 100,000 miles on the original oil.But I am not doing that to my car/truck!

16. Sep 10, 2011 at 3:22 PM
    Tigahshark

Tigahshark Senior NEWBIE

Member:
    First Name:
    Isaac
    On a volcano, literally!
    Vehicle:
    2011 DC TRD off road 4X4
    Tint Weathertech floor liner, weathertech window visor Roll n lock tonneau cover Rubber bed mat Smoked license plate covers
  17. Sep 10, 2011 at 3:55 PM
    Texoma

Texoma IG: Triple C Chop Shop

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris(Topher)
    Lago Vista, TX
    Vehicle:
    10 Taco 4x4
    A bunch a cool stickers, a bada ass MetalMiller Tx Longhorns grill emblem painted Hemi Orange, JBA long tube headers with o2 sims, Diff breather mod, Red LED interior lights, Fancy head unit that plays ipod n movies, Also DIY install factory stuff like, factory cruise control, factory intermittent wipers, OME nitro struts with 886x springs and toy tec top plate, JBA high caster UCA's for better alignmnet and dey beefier too, Old Man Emu Dakar leaf springs in da rear with the gear, U bolt flipper, Ivan Stewart TRD rims with 33" K Bro 2's, some bad ass weather tech floor liners so I don't muck up my interior, an ATO shackle flipper for mo travel in da rear wit the gear, also super shiny Fox 2.0 shocks back there too, all sorts of steal armor for bouncing off of the rocks like demello sliders, AP front skid, trans skid, n transfer skid, demello gas tank skid, and a tough as nails ARB bumper with warn 8k winch, I'm sure there's more
    I spoke with one of my local dealers about changing the tranny fluid with the WS fluid, and they told me unless there are extreme circumstances like towing often, TOO NEVER CHANGE IT. That's great, but I still don't feel comfortable with that. So I proceeded and asked what the cost and what they do. They said it's just a drain and fill for $160. They wouldn't even replace the filter. Other than this I feel good about the change intervals toyota recomends. I would like to do this myself. But lack the thermometer to check tranny temp, and am unsure of how accurate the jumper shifter method is. I do think I will change the fluid out at either 60k or I might do it at 100k, depends on if I notice any thing strange. I am very curious as to the list toyota is gonna give the OP for the recomended maint that's costing $250. When I was doing the toyota care, everything was free and they never recomended anything to me. So I await the list OP.

18. Sep 10, 2011 at 4:42 PM
    Tacoma Mike

Tacoma Mike 48 Year Chrysler/Toyota/ASE/ Master Tech.RETIRED

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Southern Maine
    Vehicle:
    2011 Double Cab V6 1995 Bass Tracker
    Large Storage Box, 02610 intermittent switch swap, "Hot Wire" Power Outlets, DRL Shut Off, Disable Fob Beep, Disable Seat Belt Buzzers, Parking Light Mod, Battery Tender, 4 Leaf Spring Pack, Rear Headrest Removal, Factory Tow Package (7 Pin) Rear Diff Mod, Taco Lean Mod, 2WD Low ECU.
    Not to hijack this thread but I've been watching some of your posts Jason and i must say your a breath of fresh air.

With the new kids coming into the business most could care less about self respect and honesty. I see it all the time. They want the big money. Been trying all my life to change the stigma of a Dealership. Having customers follow me when i changed location for over 39 years means the world to me.
    One thing you will never do is change that Stigma. However, what you can do is keep thinking the way you are now. When you get customers that want you and only you and trust you to work on their vehicle, there's no greater feeling. You have peoples lives in your hands. There are some I wouldn't let them work on my lawn mower.

It's not an easy road as you know. Just keep your bay the one that's honest.
    Good Luck

19. Sep 11, 2011 at 5:32 AM
    Toyota Tech31

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Debary, Florida
    Vehicle:
    '08 SWB Bad ass SPORT
    :amen: Thank you for that. I have tried since day one, 13 yrs ago to always treat my customers as if they are family. It does feel great when the customers come in and say they want me to work on their cars or they referr me to their friends and they show up and ask for me not even knowing who i am. I dont have all the answers, but they know i will do whatever i can to figure out the probelm. :)

20. Sep 11, 2011 at 6:04 AM
    george3

george3 Well-Known Member

Member:
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    2008 2.7 Manual Trans Tacoma
    Seat belt beeper, Cabelas (Weathertech) floor liner gray, Covercraft Seat Savers in Taupe, Protecta Heavy Duty Rubber Truck Bed Mat, Pop n Lock PL5200, Pace Edwards Full Metal JackRabbit, Wolverine oil pan heater, Scangauge2, afe pro dry s filter, Remote Underbody 4 Piece LED Light Kit (White) used as Bed light, DIY Washable Cabin Air Filter, PA15-TOY, 4x4 Illuminated Switch, full synthetic, Redline Tuning Hood Support, Smittybilt Nerf Steps black powder-coated
    :cheers::bananadance::woot:

Products Discussed in

To Top