Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Any recommendations for oversized oil filters for my 2006 2.7L?

Old 09-10-2011, 08:07 AM   #1
saugus is on a distinguished road
saugus's Tacoma Gallery
Any recommendations for oversized oil filters for my 2006 2.7L?

I guess all of the Tacomas, Tundras and Landcruisers made in 2006 use the same size oil filter. I am going to buy a pureone oil filter and test whether it fits on my Tacoma. I want the biggest one that I can fit on comfortably. Anybody have a recommendation? I found that this one has the same threads and diameter and is 1.38" longer.

Old 09-10-2011, 08:55 AM   #3
Carolina Alliance Southwest Region Ambassador
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jandrews's Tacoma Gallery
I wouldn't bother:

- The 2.7L has a fucking enormous oil capacity, something like 6q.
- The OEM Toyota filters typically have much more media surface in them than aftermarket.
Old 09-10-2011, 10:00 AM   #5
myname150 has a brilliant futuremyname150 has a brilliant futuremyname150 has a brilliant futuremyname150 has a brilliant futuremyname150 has a brilliant futuremyname150 has a brilliant futuremyname150 has a brilliant futuremyname150 has a brilliant futuremyname150 has a brilliant futuremyname150 has a brilliant futuremyname150 has a brilliant future

myname150's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSJ View Post
Looking for a filter with more filtration? Start here...

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/tec...mpetition.html
I just watched and looked at all of those, I'm glad all I've been using is Toyota OEM filters.

ONE TIME though, the Toyota Dealership gave me a taller filter than before, will having a taller filter lead to anything negligible for the engine?
Old 09-10-2011, 12:34 PM   #6
Gordon-Gekko is on a distinguished road

Gordon-Gekko's Tacoma Gallery
Tall OEM oil filter for 2.7L, 90915-YZZD3

This is the tall filter Toyota sells that fits many Toyo applications including our 4 Cyl 2.7 trucks. I have an '08 and have been using these since I bought the truck. Search for the part number on ebay and you will find dealers that sell them by the case ( Qty 10 ). The case cost me $39.00 in 2008

Genuine Toyota Oil Filter 90915-YZZD3

Old 09-10-2011, 01:33 PM   #7
saugus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon-Gekko View Post
This is the tall filter Toyota sells that fits many Toyo applications including our 4 Cyl 2.7 trucks. I have an '08 and have been using these since I bought the truck. Search for the part number on ebay and you will find dealers that sell them by the case ( Qty 10 ). The case cost me $39.00 in 2008

Genuine Toyota Oil Filter 90915-YZZD3

Sweet. That is what I want.
Old 09-10-2011, 03:28 PM   #8
CraigS is on a distinguished road
CraigS's Tacoma Gallery
That's what I use on mine.I work at a lexus dealer and prior to 06 we had a D1 for 6 cyl and the D3 pictured above for V8s.I took the number from the short filter that my truck came w/ ( not a D1) to work and asked the parts man to check in the Lexus system. It crossed to the D3. So I get D3s now.
Old 09-10-2011, 06:28 PM   #9
650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Police
Name: Mike
650H1's Tacoma Gallery
What's a bigger oil filter do for us?
Old 09-10-2011, 06:34 PM   #10
Carolina Alliance Southwest Region Ambassador
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jandrews's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 650H1 View Post
What's a bigger oil filter do for us?
The theoretical advantage is that filters with more filter medium will hold more contaminants, and can thus go longer between changes with minimal risk to the vehicle.

Large filter housing does not equal more filter media though.
Old 09-13-2011, 08:01 AM   #11
My Truck is Cuter than Yours
Kelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kelson
Kelson's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jandrews View Post
The theoretical advantage is that filters with more filter medium will hold more contaminants, and can thus go longer between changes with minimal risk to the vehicle.

Large filter housing does not equal more filter media though.
it does make the filter easier to take off. true story bro.
Old 09-13-2011, 11:32 AM   #12
saugus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by god View Post
Note that this is entirely pointless for this reason; the filter is definitely sufficient to hold all of the particles large enough to be captured, without blocking, during a single oil change interval. If there is even REMOTELY sufficient crud getting filtered out that it would start to plug up the filter, you've got MAJOR PROBLEMS on your hands and YOU KNOW IT ALREADY.
I now understand your username. Reread your first sentence. Are you a toyota engineer?

First off, are there any disadvantages? Don't think so
Second, the larger filter holds more oil = a little more dilutution.
Third, larger filter = less resistance. After 7000 miles, do you really think the stock filter is still flowing at the same rate with the same pressure as a brand new one?
Forth, they are the same price.