Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Busted back shock with pictures..

Old 09-10-2011, 09:12 AM   #1
xmixpixx is on a distinguished road
xmixpixx's Tacoma Gallery
Busted back shock with pictures..

Well after I towed my hunting trailer today (6x10 enclosed full of goose decoys) I noticed my one back shock busted, and the rod pushed up and punctured the bed of the truck. Has anybody seen this before? I do not have the tsb done (aal).
Attached Thumbnails
Busted back shock with pictures..-truck.jpg   Busted back shock with pictures..-truck-2.jpg  
Old 09-10-2011, 09:19 AM   #2
J0hnMata is on a distinguished road

Name: John
J0hnMata's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by xmixpixx View Post
Well after I towed my hunting trailer today (6x10 enclosed full of goose decoys) I noticed my one back shock busted, and the rod pushed up and punctured the bed of the truck. Has anybody seen this before? I do not have the tsb done (aal).
WOWWWWW!!! Shitty
Old 09-10-2011, 09:23 AM   #3
toyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rob
toyotatacomaTRD's Tacoma Gallery
That sucks. Any idea of the weight of the trailer you were pulling?
Old 09-10-2011, 09:27 AM   #4
I would be surprised if the trailer weighs more than 1500-2000. I tow it and a boat (17ft aluminum center console with a 90hp fourstroke outboard on the back) without problems. I have never seen this happen before or even heard of it...
Old 09-10-2011, 09:29 AM   #5
Resident Fishing Expert
Maverick904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaverick904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaverick904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaverick904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaverick904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaverick904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaverick904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaverick904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaverick904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaverick904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaverick904 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kameron
Maverick904's Tacoma Gallery
This could just be that 1 in a million chance type thing...combo of events maybe...ontop of a shock that could be the bad one out of the batch...
Old 09-10-2011, 09:32 AM   #6
instagram: ATC510
sytfu510 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsytfu510 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsytfu510 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsytfu510 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsytfu510 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsytfu510 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsytfu510 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsytfu510 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsytfu510 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsytfu510 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsytfu510 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Infantry
Name: Alex
sytfu510's Tacoma Gallery
dam crazy!
Old 09-10-2011, 09:32 AM   #7
I haven't gotten under to look at it that closely, since I noticed it walking out the door on my way to work. What is it going to take to repair (parts, etc)? I am not too familiar with the upper shock mounts. Is that something that is welded on or a bolt-on piece?
Old 09-10-2011, 09:33 AM   #8
I could care less about the hole in the bed, it's just added drainage! Maybe I should add that to the DIY mods, extra drainage for during monsoon season.
Old 09-10-2011, 09:36 AM   #9
Resident Fishing Expert
Maverick904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaverick904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaverick904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaverick904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaverick904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaverick904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaverick904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaverick904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaverick904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaverick904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaverick904 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

As long as the shock mounts arent damaged, (its hard to tell in the pic) a replacement shock is all that would be needed. Id suggest just upgrading both in the back in the process tho.
Old 09-10-2011, 09:43 AM   #10
That's what I was thinking/hoping. Would it be worth putting an AAL on to help with towing since I do a fair amount of it? From what I can tell the shock mounts are fine. It looks like it just pushed right up through. The hole it put in the bed is actually very clean too. It's a nice circle the size of the rod.
Old 09-10-2011, 10:01 AM   #12
My boat trailer I can pick the tongue up and pull it around because of the majority of the weight being behind the axle. I tow my goose hunting trailer just a couple miles, so I think airbags may be more than I need. I think I'm going to replace the shocks w/ 5100's and eventually do the AAL.
Old 09-10-2011, 10:10 AM   #13
What is this "search" you speak of?
Andrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Andrew H's Tacoma Gallery
have a pic of it actually through the bed?
Old 09-10-2011, 10:23 AM   #14
As a matter of fact I do. I just added it to my original post.
Old 09-10-2011, 10:34 AM   #15
Resident Fishing Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacooon View Post
Just go to toyota and tell them wat the fuck and if your gunna be towing a lot I'd suggest getting airbags
He has an 05...I doubt he warranty is even close to still being valid.
Old 09-10-2011, 10:39 AM   #16
Yea. I bought it as a certified preowned, but I am up to 120k on it, so the warranty is long gone. I am planning on getting 5100's and possibly doing the aal. From what I can tell they are still the original shocks. I bought the truck with 59K and haven't replaced them...
Old 09-10-2011, 10:40 AM   #17
In the meantime, how safe or unsafe is it to be driving? I commute 5 miles to work, all city. I am just trying to figure out what to do until the shocks arrive.
Old 09-10-2011, 10:45 AM   #18
Resident Fishing Expert

If you do an AAL you may need longer shocks if I remember correctly. Just keep that in mind. I havent used them but id recommend Downsouth Motorsports, they give you a deal and seem to have incredible customer service.
Old 09-10-2011, 10:46 AM   #19
Special Edition Member
Gincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Gincoma's Tacoma Gallery
Holy shit On my previous tacoma I changed to 5100 on rears, I lost a tool I needed during installation so I ran to the store to buy a tool without shocks...the rears were bouncy over bumps but I was careful...it was only a few miles..
Old 09-10-2011, 11:09 AM   #20
blah blah blah
inesshell is one of the sharper tools in the shedinesshell is one of the sharper tools in the shedinesshell is one of the sharper tools in the shedinesshell is one of the sharper tools in the shedinesshell is one of the sharper tools in the shedinesshell is one of the sharper tools in the shedinesshell is one of the sharper tools in the shedinesshell is one of the sharper tools in the shedinesshell is one of the sharper tools in the shedinesshell is one of the sharper tools in the shedinesshell is one of the sharper tools in the shed

inesshell's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to inesshell
you should be fine driving it like that for a temp period of time.