Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Is your 4.0 V6 noisy?

Old 09-11-2011, 05:25 AM   #41
A10Warthog is on a distinguished road
Air Force: 2W031
A10Warthog's Tacoma Gallery
To be honest, if I can make mine last to 500k miles, I don't care how loud it is. If the "tick" is just a Toyota thing, I can live with it.

I called my buddy who has a 2004 V8 4runner and his sister has a V6 4Runner, they both said they have "ticky" motors.
Old 09-11-2011, 06:14 AM   #42
ระดับอาวุโส สมาชิกอาวุโส
dYL0n is one of the sharper tools in the sheddYL0n is one of the sharper tools in the sheddYL0n is one of the sharper tools in the sheddYL0n is one of the sharper tools in the sheddYL0n is one of the sharper tools in the sheddYL0n is one of the sharper tools in the sheddYL0n is one of the sharper tools in the sheddYL0n is one of the sharper tools in the sheddYL0n is one of the sharper tools in the sheddYL0n is one of the sharper tools in the sheddYL0n is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dyl0n
dYL0n's Tacoma Gallery
1st gen's are loud. especially initially, their fan seems much louder than ours.
Old 09-11-2011, 02:19 PM   #43
myname150 has a brilliant futuremyname150 has a brilliant futuremyname150 has a brilliant futuremyname150 has a brilliant futuremyname150 has a brilliant futuremyname150 has a brilliant futuremyname150 has a brilliant futuremyname150 has a brilliant futuremyname150 has a brilliant futuremyname150 has a brilliant futuremyname150 has a brilliant future

myname150's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dylandigirolamo View Post
1st gen's are loud. especially initially, their fan seems much louder than ours.
I noticed when i first got the truck from a cold start, our trucks are louuuuudddd.

(and now with an Aero Turbine on mine, it's a hell of alot louder at start up )

Never heard a 1st gen though.
Old 09-11-2011, 02:31 PM   #44
haddix will become famous soon enoughhaddix will become famous soon enough

haddix's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dylandigirolamo View Post
Yeah I think my 1st gen is pretty loud. Like you said especially the fan but I love the sound of the 3.4.
Old 09-11-2011, 02:34 PM   #45
Because Tacos are too mainstream...and Im poor.
TheMrGExperience is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMrGExperience is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMrGExperience is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMrGExperience is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMrGExperience is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMrGExperience is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMrGExperience is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMrGExperience is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMrGExperience is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMrGExperience is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMrGExperience is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Garrett
TheMrGExperience's Tacoma Gallery
my 4cyl is a bit noisy as well. its a truck though so idc
Old 09-11-2011, 05:42 PM   #46
maineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Law Enforcement:
Name: Tim
maineah's Tacoma Gallery
The cam followers have clearance they make a little noise it's not loud get over or buy a Lexus or some thing it's normal.
Old 09-11-2011, 05:46 PM   #47
Science!
AndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shed

AndrewFalk's Tacoma Gallery
I like engines that make noise. My buddy has a Honda Ridgeline, and that thing is silent. It's almost impossible to hear it start.
Old 09-12-2011, 08:50 AM   #48
Wally is one of the sharper tools in the shedWally is one of the sharper tools in the shedWally is one of the sharper tools in the shedWally is one of the sharper tools in the shedWally is one of the sharper tools in the shedWally is one of the sharper tools in the shedWally is one of the sharper tools in the shedWally is one of the sharper tools in the shedWally is one of the sharper tools in the shedWally is one of the sharper tools in the shedWally is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Wally's Tacoma Gallery
My buddy's car is a VW Diesel. He was walking to school one day to pick up his kids and I was driving so I stopped to give him a lift. So I'm running through the first couple of gears shifts when he turns to me and says/asks "This is a diesel?".

On the plus side, not a lot of sound insulation to get soaking wet ...
Old 09-12-2011, 05:16 PM   #49
Jimsc is a jewel in the roughJimsc is a jewel in the roughJimsc is a jewel in the roughJimsc is a jewel in the rough
Name: Jim
Jimsc's Tacoma Gallery
Mine is very quiet at idle. The fan does make some noise on the highway.
Old 09-12-2011, 05:21 PM   #50
HEAVY WT is on a distinguished road
Name: Matthew
HEAVY WT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by A10Warthog View Post
I traded in my 06 V6 Accord for my Tacoma a couple months ago and can't get over how rattly the engine is. My Accord was SILENT when running. My Tacoma (especially at low RPMS) almost sounds like a quiet diesel (which would be nice)

I've changed to Mobil 1 Synthetic, changed plugs. Don't know what else I can do to quiet this thing down.

I'm probably just so used to the Accord and my wifes TSX and how refined they are and need to get used to the fact I drive a truck now.

Other than that, really liking the Tacoma. Fits my needs perfect.
My daily drive is a Acura CL-S so pretty much the same engine, I agree the engine noise is different. I would have to say is the nature of the best. Your not going to get a 4.0 liter engine to be as rev happy and smooth to red line as the smaller J series engines. Just turn the radio up louder or roll the windows down!
Old 09-13-2011, 10:12 AM   #51
Banned
SoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
SoCaltaco65's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
Mine sounds like an engine running.
This...
Old 09-13-2011, 10:14 AM   #52
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCaltaco65 View Post
This...
It is always that. People just like to bitch. My engine ticks and I did the mod to try to quiet it down. It didn't help so I said oh gee and I just go about my business driving where I need to go.
Old 09-13-2011, 10:20 AM   #53
Senior NEWBIE
Tigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Isaac
Tigahshark's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 808TRDTaco10 View Post
Minus the ticking I think that the 4.0 is pretty quiet, quieter than the 3.4 in my 4Runner. But then again, this is coming from a guy who drives diesel farm tractors as a part time job
Wow sounds like a cool job