1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

TOB, PDM vs URD

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by grant99, Sep 11, 2011.

1. Sep 11, 2011 at 5:06 PM
    grant99

grant99 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    London, ON
    Vehicle:
    05 4DR TRD Sport 6SPD
    I have the crickets in my trans. Looking to do the TOB upgrade and did some searching comparing the two with no avail. Anyone see any major difference between the PDM and the URD one?

I just tried pdmtsk.com and found that their web page expired so that may have answered which one I'm going to buy but I thought I'd ask the questions anyway.

also has anyone heard if the replacement TOB is widely available (someone suggested it was a tundra TOB) or if its something I'd have to repurchase from this specific vendor when it eventually wears out?

2. Sep 11, 2011 at 5:43 PM
    Trapper6speed

Trapper6speed Hacksaw engineer

Member:
    Stock
    They should do about the same thing. Just get the URD fast and good service.

3. Sep 12, 2011 at 12:39 PM
    Wally

Wally Well-Known Member

Member:
    Ontario (the metric version)
    Vehicle:
    07 Access Cab TRD 4x4 6MT 1GR-FE
    Toyota issued a TSB that replaces the clutch release bearing, clutch fork, and clutch release cylinder. If the bell housing extension the release bearing rides on is worn, they replace that too. Pre-TSB practice was to replace the bell housing and bearing but it kept on coming back for some people since the parts were the same. The new release bearing has considerably more surface area to ride on eliminating the wear issue.

Are you under warranty? If not, the aftermarket solutions would probably be cheaper.

On a side note, I have my transmission off for a different reason and I have virtually no wear after 25K miles. I measured the surfaces that the bearing rides on with calipers and there is maybe .001" max wear between the shiny parts of the snout and the wear surfaces. The surfaces are also very smooth to the touch so no grooving anywhere. Inspection with a magnifying glass also looks good. So it's really quite curious that people have such different experiences with the same parts/design. I have some close-up pictures in my gallery if you want to look at them.

4. Sep 13, 2011 at 4:28 AM
    grant99

grant99 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    London, ON
    Vehicle:
    05 4DR TRD Sport 6SPD
    I guess I haven't updated my signature yet, ya I'm WAY outta warranty '05 200km. Thats why I'm thinking the aftermarket one with the sleeve is in my best interest. The PO seems to have fixed the basic "safety related issues" but other things not so much. I am afraid this has been "chirping" for quite sometime. I'm kinda afraid to see what the shaft looks like! lol

Products Discussed in

To Top