1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Driving from S.Carolina to Alaska...W/Trailer

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by kevinklk97, Sep 12, 2011.

1. Sep 12, 2011 at 5:35 AM
    kevinklk97

kevinklk97 [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Clarksville TN
    Vehicle:
    2007 doublecab PreRunner
    The title says it all I just need as much advise I can get. Im in the military and getting stationed in Alaska not sure where though. I plan on driving my 07 Prerunner up there with a U-haul trailer around April/May time frame.

Question#1 Has anyone drove the route? and were you driving a Tacoma?

Question #2 How would the Tacoma do with the trailer with about 7000lbs
    not having 4x4?

2. Sep 12, 2011 at 5:40 AM
    Mxpatriot

Mxpatriot Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '06 4x4 AP LT and Locked
    7,000 pounds is over our tow capacity. Even if you drop a thousand pounds, it's going to be an unpleasant drive and hard on the truck. Trailer brakes/brake controller and anti-sway hitch mandatory. Remember, calculate weight of truck cargo and passengers in as well. Also, I wouldn't even think about it without the tow package (transmission cooler).

My $.02 - do a partial do-it-yourself move. Let DoD handle all your furniture and heavy stuff, and pack a small u-haul full of everything that you will immediately need and things you don't want the movers handling. You'll still get paid for the stuff you move, the mileage you drive, and DLA. You won't kill your truck (or yourself) by driving thousands and thousands of miles overloaded. The trip might actually become enjoyable.

3. Sep 12, 2011 at 5:47 AM
    toughtaco

toughtaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    05 tacoma dbl cab short bed
    TRD CAI, MBRP dual exhaust, PIAA headlights and driving lights, 5% limo tint, 3 inch Skyjacker lift , AFE throttle body spacer, 285/70/17 BF Goodright AT TA KO, Grillcraft MX with PIAA's behind the grill, anytime fog light mod, reverse camera anytime mod, and PIAA fog lights on the rear bumper anytime mod light bar behind back window with truck lights for reverse assistance, Optima Red Top Battery, Onza 3x5" LEd reverse lights attached to light bar behind cab
    That sounds like fun with out the 7000 pound trailer. That doesn't sound safe. I know that the Military gives you plenty of time for travel. Whatever you do plan your trip stop by stop and plan for stops along the way. Be safe keep us updated.

4. Sep 12, 2011 at 5:50 AM
    AndrewFalk

AndrewFalk Science!

Member:
    The North East
    Vehicle:
    2010 5 speed 5 lug
    :)
    As others have said, that would be a rough ride with a 7000 lb. trailer. 4X4 isn't going to affect your towing other than the fact it adds a a few hundred extra lbs.

With that being said, I have no doubt that the truck CAN do it. If you decide to make the trip, then take it easy and enjoy the ride. No need to push it with that kind of weight.

5. Sep 12, 2011 at 5:55 AM
    WVTacoma08

WVTacoma08 Well-Known Member

Member:
    West Virginia
    Vehicle:
    '20 TRD PRO Super White
    Alaska + Prerunner = Not Ideal

Personally, I wouldn't want to traverse Canadian/Alasksan Roads with snow without 4x4. :D

6. Sep 12, 2011 at 6:29 AM
    kevinklk97

Member:
    Clarksville TN
    Vehicle:
    2007 doublecab PreRunner
    Good point about the trailer gents honestly I have no idea about the weight of the trailer. From what I hear the mountains in western Canada are pretty steep so im still debating on even taking a trailer,Im definatly driving though. Anymore advise will much appreciated.

7. Sep 12, 2011 at 6:54 AM
    907taco

907taco Alaskan Assassin

Member:
    First Name:
    Bobby
    Alaska
    Vehicle:
    2010 BlackSandPearl 4x4
    ultimate lift kit ( toytec ) ome dakar leaf pack , w/ extended length billies, LR uca's, Pro comp 7089s, KM2's 285 70 17, neoprene seat covers, weather techs, CBI sliders w/kickout, URD ss, cab mount chop, VHT night shade tint>tails,3rd B-light. Debadged. Grillecraft grille, rear diff breather mod. CBI Moab front bumper, warn M8000 winch, HID kragens 7", Hella's micro fogs. retrofit headlights HIDS, LED solutions maps/license! 886 back up light mod,
    trade that in for a 4x4 my friend. The snow is coming and alot of area's on the alcan will be hell with a rear wheel drive especially towing something.

8. Sep 12, 2011 at 7:25 AM
    GrayTacoma

GrayTacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    Huntingtown, MD
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD off road
    PIAA ion yellow fogs stay on all time,aux reverse lights, aux lights, camper with rack, cb, air bags, on board air, aux fuse box, aux batt, CAI, etc.............
    We drove from Florida to Alaska in 03', and back to Texas in 07', there are some steep hills all over, and some roads are not even paved. We drove a tahoe 4x4, did not have to used the 4x4 but the 5.3L was a lot of help. Do partial dity move. drive during the day in the ALCAN (alaska canada highway.) Be carefull with the moose. Stop at Fast Eddy's in Tok, Alaska and order a Musher's omelette for breakfast (it will feed a small family) I hope you get station in Anchorage. Be carefull and enjoy AK.

9. Sep 12, 2011 at 7:42 AM
    kevinklk97

Member:
    Clarksville TN
    Vehicle:
    2007 doublecab PreRunner
    907taco Im actually thinking of trading it in for the new 2012 4x4 its sucks this one is almost paid off

10. Sep 12, 2011 at 7:44 AM
    kevinklk97

Member:
    Clarksville TN
    Vehicle:
    2007 doublecab PreRunner
    graytacoma great info yeah im hoping and praying for Anchorage I hear thats the best place to get stationed in the world.

11. Sep 12, 2011 at 8:18 AM
    all.on.black

all.on.black Well-Known Member

Member:
    Auburn, WA
    Vehicle:
    06 Double Cab Sport with a few mods
    I would not haul 7000lbs more than a couple hundred miles in the Tacoma. The most I would take on that trip would be about 4000lbs. Also, if you have the means get rid of the PreRunner here. You won't be able to sell it up there and you'll want to if you're stationed there for a while. Purchase "Milepost," the book. It has all the information you need for the drive. It has fuel stations, campgrounds, restaurants, etc. Other than that, enjoy the drive, it's a beautiful one.

12. Sep 12, 2011 at 9:10 AM
    fixer5000

fixer5000 the logical one

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    2018 4runner limited in nautical blue
    you may be pleasantly suprised at what youll get for a trade in on it. that could sweeten the deal some. good luck and drive safe:)

13. Sep 12, 2011 at 9:34 AM
    kbp68

kbp68 hey...I can change this!

Member:
    B.C.
    Vehicle:
    TRD Off Road DC/SB
    3" Pro Comp Lift/Level, ARB Winch Bumper, Superwinch UT3000,White Sport Grille, Bedliner'd rocker panels, Draw-Tite brake controller
    Straight from the horses mouth my friend. Take it from a local. Compared to where he is I am in the deep south (South Okanagan) and I wouldn't be without 4x4 in the winter and in that part of the world April/May is still winter.

14. Sep 12, 2011 at 10:34 AM
    fbconvert

fbconvert Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Seacoast, NH
    Vehicle:
    2005 Tacoma Double Cab TRD Sport
    One more thing thing to consider... It would be better to trade in your truck before you get to Alaska, no one will want a 2wd truck up there. I would highly suggest trying to sell private party if you can and then look for a $x$ I mean 4x4... But you definitely don't want to bring that prerunner with you since its value will drop significantly. On a plus note I am willing to bet that a 4x4 tacoma will probably gain value if bought on the east coast and then driven to Alaska. I bought a ranger while in High school in Seattle and shipped it to Alaska, drove it for two year then sold it for what I paid for it....

I am guessing that you are headed to Fairbanks or Anchorage so you will be taking the Alcan. I grew up in southeast Alaska and we traveled from Alaska to Washington D.C when my dad took a detail assignment there for a few months. We took the ferry to Prince Rupert then drove across Canada and then dropped down into North Dakota and so on. We had our '91 blazer loaded 4' high on the roof lol. We rotated drivers and only stopped for gas. It took us 2 1/2 days with an adverage speed of 50 mph overall, taking into account the times we stopped for gas and what not.

It was anything but fun... But I was with family and we were in a hurry to say the least, so maybe you will have a better experience.

Good luck and let us know what you decide.

15. Sep 12, 2011 at 10:44 AM
    bryan83taco

bryan83taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Hawai’i
    Vehicle:
    2023 TRD Sport 4x4
    I just PCS'd to Florida. DOD now calls it a PPM "personally procured move". Same thing as a DITY, just another retarded name. Like stated above a PPM that far with 7K pounds from SC to AK sounds like a nightmare. My recent PPM blew. The axle on the trailer behind my budget 16 footer (carrying the mustang) broke. Spent 5 hours on the side of the road waiting for a new trailer. I would definitely do a partial PPM. Let the Gov't deal with the heavy shit.

16. Sep 12, 2011 at 12:55 PM
    iroc409

iroc409 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Washington
    Vehicle:
    A red one
    You might consider doing the move during winter, if possible. As I understand it, the Al-Can is a better drive in the winter. Based on my experience, that's probably true. The roads will probably be icy, but smoothed over instead of jostling and bumping in the non-paved (and maybe the paved) sections.

A friend of the wife moved to Fairbanks in November. She lived in CA/OR all her life (and didn't last long). Her boyfriend at the time drove their Uhaul, and she drove a brand new Jetta. They did fine.

As others said, 7,000lbs is over the limit. I wouldn't do that, personally, but wouldn't worry about making the trip with a small trailer or no trailer. You might consider a large rental truck and towing the Taco.

17. Sep 12, 2011 at 5:41 PM
    kevinklk97

Member:
    Clarksville TN
    Vehicle:
    2007 doublecab PreRunner
    Well you guys talked me into it I guess Ill get the new model 4x4 lol, I noticed there is a lot of military on this thread. I been in the ARMY for 13 yrs now. I been a Drill Sergeant now for 38 months I instruct at the Drill Sergeant School. Once again thanks for all the advice.

18. Sep 12, 2011 at 11:04 PM
    MLJak

MLJak Well-Known Member

Member:
    Anchroage
    Vehicle:
    2011 V6 Access Cab Base
    Good call Kevin. 2wd trucks sit on dealer lots forever and no one up here buys them.

The Alcan drive is going to be amazing. I've done it 3 times and it's a fantastic drive. It's definitely the way to go!!!

19. Sep 12, 2011 at 11:29 PM
    BullMoose

BullMoose BullMoose

Member:
    Mississippi
    Vehicle:
    2017 DCSB TRD-OR 4WD
    Hi all. New to this forum. But recently moved to Southeast Alaska from Mississippi. I drove my 04 Tacoma to Bellingham, WA and loaded up on the Alaska Marine Highway Ferry. The ferry took the "Inside Passage" and was a great trip. My Tacoma stayed safe and sound down below. I didn't drive through Canada because I carried a couple of guns (including handguns) and didn't want the hassle of declaring them. Just another option. It all depends on where in AK you actually go.

20. Sep 12, 2011 at 11:30 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    Yes

Products Discussed in

To Top