1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Stolen Tail Light Assembly's- WTF

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Nor Cal Girl, Sep 12, 2011.

1. Sep 12, 2011 at 1:06 PM
    Nor Cal Girl

Nor Cal Girl [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma- TRD Sport
    I was the unfortunate recipient of an thieving dirt bag who stole my entire tail light assembly's from my 2009 Tacoma while parked in a paid parking lot for work on Friday. In retrospect I had been a bit lax in locking my camper shell, but had no idea this had become a crime of opportunity. Dealer of course wanted $250 per light to replace & truck not driveable without them. Basically same cost as insurance deductible. I found them on Craigslist for $150 for the set (no doubt likely from same dirt bag who stole them from me to begin with). So now I am looking to 1 up this thief, I have swapped out the bolts for a star-head bolt-which may just slow them down but not stop entirely. Camper shell locks don't seem as though they will slow them down much if they really want to get in there. Short of grinding/stripping the bolt heads-does anyone have a better suggestion?
    Explored those tailgate pop-locks as an idea, with all the stolen tailgates mentioned-why hasn't Toyota done a better job of addressing this short-coming in the 2010 or 2011 models with a tailgate lock?

On a separate note-the tie down system that Toyota devised is such crap-has anyone found a better system. The tie downs bend as they are plastic & the rail system isn't secure enough to hold cargo let alone a dirtbike?... Ideas?

2. Sep 12, 2011 at 1:12 PM
    97yota4wd

97yota4wd Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Mesa, AZ
    Vehicle:
    alot of metal, small engine, decent travel.
    caged, camburg long travel, 50t leafpack (soon to be installed) light rack over cab, 5pt harnesses etc
    wtf someone stole your tail lights?!?

dam i would kill people with a screw driver....

honestly i dont even really know what to say to that...

3. Sep 12, 2011 at 1:19 PM
    Konaborne

Konaborne Pineapples on pizza Hawaiian does not it make.

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    Kealakekua, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    Lifted 00 TRD Off-Road
    fox extended travel remote resivoir coilovers, 14" eibach 600lb coils, All Pro tubular chromoly 1" uniball upper control arms, All Pro expedition leaf packs, 10" bilstein 5150 piggyback reservoir shocks 265/75r16 Goodyear wrangler MT/R kevlars wrapped around 16" Helo 791 gloss black, Mini H1 retrofits with 6000k bulbs, 18" magnaflow w/custom exhaust reroute various decals, Sockmonkey retro hood stripes
    Dang! That's crazy. 1st time I've heard about that happening, so I havent heard of other ways to secure the screws. I'd definitely look into tailgate locks though.

Try looking around the site for replacement tails, since your in cali theres tons of members around you, and I can guarantee someone switched to aftermarkets and have OEMs laying around.

4. Sep 12, 2011 at 1:22 PM
    Johns Taco

Johns Taco I'm not 4x4, and have an open diff. So i'm 4x1

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Albuquerque, NM
    Vehicle:
    05 DSM Base SR5 Slug Taco
    Full custom stereo, onboard air compressor, train horns, spacer lift, 30" tires, optima yellow top, rear slider window & tailgate anti-theft mod, pop & lock, class 3 tow hitch, lights in bed, Ultra Gauge, Weather Tech mats, yellow fog lights, camper top, air lift rear airbags, rear diff breather mod, soon to be more...
    Definitely get the POP & LOCK, I would use a spoon to kill the guy by the way....

5. Sep 12, 2011 at 1:40 PM
    Nor Cal Girl

Nor Cal Girl [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma- TRD Sport
    Farbio615-yes, the engraving is a great suggestion. In fact my dad offered me his dremel for this purpose, should probably do the tailgate while I am at it!

Johns Taco & 97 Yota 4wd-both made me LOL!!! Need to arm myself with a spoon & a screw driver clearly!

6. Sep 12, 2011 at 1:44 PM
    Nor Cal Girl

Nor Cal Girl [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma- TRD Sport
    I did buy a new set for $150 from a fella who had claimed to of had the same thing happen to him & ran his claim thru insurance as he lost his tailgate, tail lights & a bed extender. So insurance replaced his originals & he was upgrading.
    When I reported the theft to the transit police they noted this was their 2nd reported theft of tail lights last week. I will also say-special shout out to the Sheriff's department who wouldn't take the report since it happened on transit authority's property. Had to drive the disabled truck back to the lot to make the report!!!! Safety first!

7. Sep 12, 2011 at 1:47 PM
    Tacoma831

Tacoma831 Member

Member:
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma Sport 4x4
    OME 886 Coils, OME Shocks, OME Dakars, Snug Top, De-Badged, ARB Bullbar, XRC8 Winch
    Damn that sucks! Thieves will go for just about anything now...I would be soo pissed.

8. Sep 12, 2011 at 1:49 PM
    Nor Cal Girl

Nor Cal Girl [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma- TRD Sport
    I am somewhat fortunate that I have a camper shell I can make a better attempt to secure the tail gate-there was a twinge of sadness when I noticed all the other Tacomas in the lot today that don't have shells & are likely to be next on this dirt bag's list of opportunity!

9. Sep 12, 2011 at 1:53 PM
    Tacoma831

Tacoma831 Member

Member:
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma Sport 4x4
    OME 886 Coils, OME Shocks, OME Dakars, Snug Top, De-Badged, ARB Bullbar, XRC8 Winch
    Damn I'm about to put my shell back on for winter anyway. Sounds like it will double as a theft deterrent. I don't think anyone will steal my cracked tail lights and scratched up tailgate though :p

10. Sep 12, 2011 at 1:54 PM
    Yota Toy

Yota Toy Taco Sauce

Member:
    FX retros, Blazer fog-light retro, JVC KW-NT30HD head unit, Pioneer 6X9's in front doors, Pioneer 6.5's in rear doors, two Pioneer 12" subs in sealed boxes, Sony X-Plod amp, Hidden Hitch trailer hitch, EGR window visors, two PIAA low-tone horns, Westin light bar with two 100-watt KC low profile driving lights.
    Tailgate lock, security Torx, and some red Lock-tite should slow them down.

[​IMG]

11. Sep 12, 2011 at 2:32 PM
    SilverStreak05

SilverStreak05 Well-Known Member

Member:
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2005 4x4 TRD Off-Road
    DR coilovers, DR rear reservoir shocks, Deaver custom 11 pack leaf springs
    Was this in the SJ area by chance? Probably only a coincidence, but I was just driving to get something to eat and noticed a tacoma in someones driveway with the tail lights missing. Might be a new trend to make a quick buck.

12. Sep 12, 2011 at 2:50 PM
    cortez_a

cortez_a Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    Colorado
    Logical Source has the Tail light assemblies for $64 each. I buy cabin air filters from them. I've never bought a replacement part from them, but they seem good. Here's the link

http://www.logical-source.com/2008-TOYOTA-TACOMA.html

I know the link is for 2008 Taco's, for some reason their 2009 page has the redesigned tail light assemblies.

13. Sep 12, 2011 at 3:00 PM
    Nor Cal Girl

Nor Cal Girl [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma- TRD Sport
    This was in Castro Valley-but thugs travel. Those poor people who came home and found their truck, I know too well the feeling!

14. Sep 12, 2011 at 3:12 PM
    DeeKay21

DeeKay21 Lieutenant Dan.

Member:
    Nevada/Utah
    Vehicle:
    06' TRD Sport 4x4
    I'd say the best bet would be to get a pop-n-lock. Not saying that would hold them off but at least the look of a lock would make them think twice.:rolleyes: I agree, the OEM tie-down clips dont work good on heavy loads. Do the D-ring mod, only costs a few bucks per D-ring and they work great off the truck bed!! I pack around my bike pretty often and the rings hold up great!!!;)

Here is the link. Post #3.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/technical-chat/4838-cheap-free-mods.html#post45406

[​IMG]

15. Sep 12, 2011 at 5:18 PM
    Steves104x4

Steves104x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Buffalo NY
    Vehicle:
    2010 RC 2.7 4x4
    BUCKLE UP! It makes it harder for Aliens to pull you out of your Truck.
    Nice. Now I get to worry about my taillights. Thanks for the heads-up.

16. Sep 12, 2011 at 5:23 PM
    TegoXR

TegoXR Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Freddy
    Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    '06 X-Runner
    Its been a problem here locally at the dealerships...lol!

17. Sep 12, 2011 at 6:13 PM
    UndefinedTaco

UndefinedTaco I'll eat all your food.

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Tracy, CA
    Vehicle:
    Toyota
    It's an 89 Toyota Pickup. I got some stuff done to it.. FJ axles going under it soon.
    Toyota Tailights are common to be stolen, I've heard about it in the Bay Area.

They get a ring going and steal em..then sell em on Craigslist/Ebay..or sell em to grimey ass auto shop owners for some coke money.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  18. Sep 12, 2011 at 6:59 PM
    PSJ

PSJ Prerunners Work

Member:
    Sebastian Inlet
    Vehicle:
    09 Access Cab Prerunner
    Rear Leaf spring TSB, Bilstein 5100's all around w/ front set at 1.75", 265/75R/16 Mickey Thompson Baja STZ's, Trailer hitch w/custom wiring, AFE drop in dry filter, Rear Diff breather mod, Debadged truck, customized stock TRD wheel center caps, added factory fog lights, bed mat, door sills, tinted windows
    Its the 09+ led lights they want now...:cool:

19. Sep 12, 2011 at 9:05 PM
    happyguy

happyguy Well-Known Member

Member:
    Colorado Mountains
    Vehicle:
    2017 SR5
    I am so happy that I live in the middle of nowhere. I really feel bad for you OP as that sucks! I would never steal anything, and I would assume no one would ever steal something that I have.

20. Sep 12, 2011 at 9:43 PM
    pantherballhp

pantherballhp Active Member

Member:
    Athens, WV
    Vehicle:
    '11 Tacoma
    ^^^this, we don't have as many thieves but I did have a broken laptop and my $500 camera stolen out of my truck while it was outside of my shop at work. I'd do bad things to the thief if i got my hands on him/her

Products Discussed in

To Top