Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Stolen Tail Light Assembly's- WTF

Old 09-12-2011, 02:06 PM   #1
Nor Cal Girl is on a distinguished road
Nor Cal Girl's Tacoma Gallery
Stolen Tail Light Assembly's- WTF

I was the unfortunate recipient of an thieving dirt bag who stole my entire tail light assembly's from my 2009 Tacoma while parked in a paid parking lot for work on Friday. In retrospect I had been a bit lax in locking my camper shell, but had no idea this had become a crime of opportunity. Dealer of course wanted $250 per light to replace & truck not driveable without them. Basically same cost as insurance deductible. I found them on Craigslist for $150 for the set (no doubt likely from same dirt bag who stole them from me to begin with). So now I am looking to 1 up this thief, I have swapped out the bolts for a star-head bolt-which may just slow them down but not stop entirely. Camper shell locks don't seem as though they will slow them down much if they really want to get in there. Short of grinding/stripping the bolt heads-does anyone have a better suggestion?
Explored those tailgate pop-locks as an idea, with all the stolen tailgates mentioned-why hasn't Toyota done a better job of addressing this short-coming in the 2010 or 2011 models with a tailgate lock?

On a separate note-the tie down system that Toyota devised is such crap-has anyone found a better system. The tie downs bend as they are plastic & the rail system isn't secure enough to hold cargo let alone a dirtbike?... Ideas?
Old 09-12-2011, 02:12 PM   #2
Banned
97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Eric
97yota4wd's Tacoma Gallery
wtf someone stole your tail lights?!?

dam i would kill people with a screw driver....

honestly i dont even really know what to say to that...
Old 09-12-2011, 02:19 PM   #3
Pineapples on pizza Hawaiian does not it make.
Konaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Cody
Konaborne's Tacoma Gallery
Dang! That's crazy. 1st time I've heard about that happening, so I havent heard of other ways to secure the screws. I'd definitely look into tailgate locks though.

Try looking around the site for replacement tails, since your in cali theres tons of members around you, and I can guarantee someone switched to aftermarkets and have OEMs laying around.
Old 09-12-2011, 02:22 PM   #4
I'm not 4x4, and have an open diff. So i'm 4x1
Johns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
Johns Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Definitely get the POP & LOCK, I would use a spoon to kill the guy by the way....
Old 09-12-2011, 02:40 PM   #5
Farbio615-yes, the engraving is a great suggestion. In fact my dad offered me his dremel for this purpose, should probably do the tailgate while I am at it!

Johns Taco & 97 Yota 4wd-both made me LOL!!! Need to arm myself with a spoon & a screw driver clearly!
Old 09-12-2011, 02:44 PM   #6
I did buy a new set for $150 from a fella who had claimed to of had the same thing happen to him & ran his claim thru insurance as he lost his tailgate, tail lights & a bed extender. So insurance replaced his originals & he was upgrading.
When I reported the theft to the transit police they noted this was their 2nd reported theft of tail lights last week. I will also say-special shout out to the Sheriff's department who wouldn't take the report since it happened on transit authority's property. Had to drive the disabled truck back to the lot to make the report!!!! Safety first!
Old 09-12-2011, 02:47 PM   #7
Tacoma831 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma831 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma831 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma831 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma831 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma831 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma831 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma831 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma831 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma831 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma831 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Tacoma831's Tacoma Gallery
Damn that sucks! Thieves will go for just about anything now...I would be soo pissed.
Old 09-12-2011, 02:49 PM   #8
I am somewhat fortunate that I have a camper shell I can make a better attempt to secure the tail gate-there was a twinge of sadness when I noticed all the other Tacomas in the lot today that don't have shells & are likely to be next on this dirt bag's list of opportunity!
Old 09-12-2011, 02:53 PM   #9
Tacoma831 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma831 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma831 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma831 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma831 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma831 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma831 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma831 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma831 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma831 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma831 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Tacoma831's Tacoma Gallery
Damn I'm about to put my shell back on for winter anyway. Sounds like it will double as a theft deterrent. I don't think anyone will steal my cracked tail lights and scratched up tailgate though
Old 09-12-2011, 02:54 PM   #10
Taco Sauce
Yota Toy is a glorious beacon of lightYota Toy is a glorious beacon of lightYota Toy is a glorious beacon of lightYota Toy is a glorious beacon of lightYota Toy is a glorious beacon of light
Yota Toy's Tacoma Gallery
Tailgate lock, security Torx, and some red Lock-tite should slow them down.

Old 09-12-2011, 03:32 PM   #11
SilverStreak05 is a splendid one to beholdSilverStreak05 is a splendid one to beholdSilverStreak05 is a splendid one to beholdSilverStreak05 is a splendid one to beholdSilverStreak05 is a splendid one to beholdSilverStreak05 is a splendid one to beholdSilverStreak05 is a splendid one to behold
SilverStreak05's Tacoma Gallery
Was this in the SJ area by chance? Probably only a coincidence, but I was just driving to get something to eat and noticed a tacoma in someones driveway with the tail lights missing. Might be a new trend to make a quick buck.
Old 09-12-2011, 03:50 PM   #12
cortez_a is on a distinguished road
Name: Andy
cortez_a's Tacoma Gallery
Logical Source has the Tail light assemblies for $64 each. I buy cabin air filters from them. I've never bought a replacement part from them, but they seem good. Here's the link

http://www.logical-source.com/2008-TOYOTA-TACOMA.html

I know the link is for 2008 Taco's, for some reason their 2009 page has the redesigned tail light assemblies.
Old 09-12-2011, 04:00 PM   #13
This was in Castro Valley-but thugs travel. Those poor people who came home and found their truck, I know too well the feeling!
Old 09-12-2011, 04:12 PM   #14
Lieutenant Dan.
DeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Lieutenant
DeeKay21's Tacoma Gallery
I'd say the best bet would be to get a pop-n-lock. Not saying that would hold them off but at least the look of a lock would make them think twice. I agree, the OEM tie-down clips dont work good on heavy loads. Do the D-ring mod, only costs a few bucks per D-ring and they work great off the truck bed!! I pack around my bike pretty often and the rings hold up great!!!

Here is the link. Post #3.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/tec...html#post45406

Old 09-12-2011, 06:18 PM   #15
Slow as shit. Cute as Hell.
Steves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
Steves104x4's Tacoma Gallery
Nice. Now I get to worry about my taillights. Thanks for the heads-up.
Old 09-12-2011, 06:23 PM   #16
TegoXR is on a distinguished road
Name: Freddy
TegoXR's Tacoma Gallery
Its been a problem here locally at the dealerships...lol!
Old 09-12-2011, 07:13 PM   #17
I'll eat all your food.
UndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Justin
UndefinedTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Toyota Tailights are common to be stolen, I've heard about it in the Bay Area.

They get a ring going and steal em..then sell em on Craigslist/Ebay..or sell em to grimey ass auto shop owners for some coke money.
Old 09-12-2011, 10:05 PM   #19
happyguy will become famous soon enough
happyguy's Tacoma Gallery
I am so happy that I live in the middle of nowhere. I really feel bad for you OP as that sucks! I would never steal anything, and I would assume no one would ever steal something that I have.
Old 09-12-2011, 10:43 PM   #20
pantherballhp will become famous soon enough
pantherballhp's Tacoma Gallery
^^^this, we don't have as many thieves but I did have a broken laptop and my $500 camera stolen out of my truck while it was outside of my shop at work. I'd do bad things to the thief if i got my hands on him/her