1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Dealer won't fix rust on my 09??

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by a89aries, Sep 12, 2011.

1. Sep 12, 2011 at 8:11 PM
    a89aries

a89aries [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    London Ontario
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma TRD offroad
    I brought in my 09 Tacoma (58'000mi) that is still covered under the platinum extended warranty.

Issue // (Dealer excuse for not fixing)

Large rust spots on rear chrome bumper // (the bumper is not a part of the body and thus not covered by the rust warranty)

Antenna fell off the other day, literally fell over onto the hood while I was turning a corner. Upon further inspection (I stopped to pick it up) and you can see the stud the antenna threads onto has rusted right through to the point that it failed. // (Not covered as it isn't sheet metal)

Rust spots on door panels // (Stone chips and they won't fix it. I'm baffled at this one as its on the upper door panels of both sides of the truck, not line of site to the tires) :confused:

Anyways I'm pretty ticked that I have an 09 truck showing rust in multiple spots, and has no radio reception. I'm assuming this was just a bad dealer experience, however am looking for any advice from ppl on here?

I'll try to take a few pics tmmr and upload them, the antenna will blow your mind. I pulled the antenna off 2 work trucks (mid 90's) and they have 0 rust where mine rusted right off??? :confused:

2. Sep 12, 2011 at 8:14 PM
    S.B.

S.B. Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    15 Taco
    LT, Glass, CBI Front bumper, NWTI Rear bumper, 35s
    Toyota replaced my rear bumper, because it was showing rust.

3. Sep 12, 2011 at 8:31 PM
    theduck911

theduck911 Max's Canadian Twin

Member:
    First Name:
    Max
    Northwestern Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    Locked and Geared!
    Went through the same thing with my truck/dealer.

This is your friend:

1-800-331-4331

4. Sep 12, 2011 at 8:40 PM
    a89aries

a89aries [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    London Ontario
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma TRD offroad
    Calling Tmmr :)

5. Sep 12, 2011 at 8:42 PM
    theduck911

theduck911 Max's Canadian Twin

Member:
    First Name:
    Max
    Northwestern Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    Locked and Geared!
    Good luck too you!:thumbsup:

6. Sep 12, 2011 at 8:46 PM
    utahskierdave

utahskierdave Well-Known Member

Member:
    salt lake
    Vehicle:
    08 tacoma dbl cab
    how about some pics?

7. Sep 13, 2011 at 9:19 AM
    rbishopp

rbishopp Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Webster, NY
    Vehicle:
    2009 4WD Reg cab Taco. Keepin it simple.
    So far I've added an Advance folding bed cover and since removed it. Gave it to my son in Maine, he has an 05 2wd. GT perfect fit seat covers. Weathertech floor mats and window vent visors. Waag center brush/grill guard. Hose clamp tailgate mod. Turned off the seat belt chime. Added Ultra-Gauge. Trailer hitch. Softopper. Replaced sun visors with slide out style. Toyota bed extender. Had Firestone Destinations and now Michelin LTX AT2 in stock size. More mods to come; Fog lights, locking storage in bed, intermittent wipers. Now looking for Radio/HU upgrade. and maybe a lift way down the road.
    I have an 09 also. I don't see any problem but please post back what happens. Good and bad.

8. Sep 13, 2011 at 9:30 AM
    AeroCooper

AeroCooper Half the strength of ten (microscopic men)

Member:
    NH
    Vehicle:
    2018 Barcelona Access Cab Off Road
    Remote start, tailgate inserts, nifty key fob case, Husky X-Act floor liners, AVS vent shades, bed mat, MX4 Tonneau cover, Tyger step rails
    Mine as well. I then plasti-dipped it to avoid going through that again (plus the chrome bumpers look hideous, IMO). I would try another dealer if possible.

9. Sep 13, 2011 at 6:59 PM
    Isthatahemi

Isthatahemi Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    TRD OFF ROAD
    BFG AT's, Weathertechs, Hoppy's brake controller.
    Well Alex.... I believe this is a clear case of neglect. I will dispense the same brilliant advice some of the Toyota worshipping morons gave me when mine rusted.

1. The truck is over a year old and this is an obvious case of neglect, don't you know how to wash your truck and use chrome polish? Your fault 100%

2. You live in the heart of the rust belt. They salt the roads heavily there, no vehicle can possibly last more than a few months without rusting to shit.

Here's an actual nugget of non-BS

3. You are being misleading to us all, your truck was bought in the states, and carries an American warranty, and you are in Canada. The bumper is covered under the "comprehensive" warranty. Toyota would be bankrupt if they had to offer more than a couple years rust coverage on their vehicles.

HAHA - That's what you get for being a goof-ball poser Toyota Kool-Aide drinker.
    Something for you to think about.

10. Sep 13, 2011 at 8:37 PM
    Leer

Leer Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Lee
    Hilo HI
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tacoma 4x4
    Actually if the body rust on the outer surface of the car is causing the paint to bubble (rust under the paint) then no amount of washing would help that, however if you have paint chips that are rusting, then while washing still wouldn't help, you could have touched it up with paint to avoid that probelm.

As for the bumper, if it is actually the metal under the chrome rusting causing the chrome to lift/peal then polishing would not have help.

I can understand the undercarrage of the truck rusting due to neglect if the roads are salted though.

Take it as high up as you can and hopefully someone will listen!

just my .02.

11. Sep 13, 2011 at 8:51 PM
    joes06tacoma

joes06tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Central Coast, CA
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 Off Road Access Cab v6 6spd
    LEER Shell with dome lights operated with 3 way switches, aux backup lights with relay and 3 position switch, modified wiring to compass/temp display and clock to include switch that disables dimming function (poor man's DRL solution), Scan Gauge 2
    I'd have to go read the warranty to know if they are denying you what's rightfully yours, or just enforcing Toyota's shitty warranty terms. Either way, you should call customer service and bitch about it. An antenna stud and bumper is a pretty reasonable expense for Toyota to keep a customer.

Products Discussed in

To Top