Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Halo Projector Headlights

Old 09-12-2011, 10:23 PM   #1
Stop staring at me swan!
tacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
tacoman15's Tacoma Gallery
Halo Projector Headlights

I am looking at getting some new headlights and I was thinking about getting some Halo Projector Headlights. I really like they way they look but I don't know if they are very functional. I have heard some members say they really like them and some say that they don't work well at all. Pics of low/high beams will be greatly appreciated!
Old 09-13-2011, 12:38 AM   #2
veet skeet is a jewel in the roughveet skeet is a jewel in the roughveet skeet is a jewel in the roughveet skeet is a jewel in the rough

veet skeet's Tacoma Gallery
I have a set of halo projectors. They came with a set of 6000k HID bulbs. To be honest, the headlights alone are not that bright at night. If you were to compare these to a set of normal headlights with 6000k HID's put in them, the normal factory headlights would win by a long shot. So much brighter. But the halo projectors are for looks. I put in 6000k HID's in my fog lights too, and it definitely makes the fog lights A LOT brighter. And the light from my fogs more than makes up for the small light output from my headlights. All in all, it's gonna be brighter if you get HID's in both heads and fogs than if you stay stock. But it's your call. I personally love my set up.
Old 09-13-2011, 08:20 AM   #3
Stop staring at me swan!
tacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by veet skeet View Post
I have a set of halo projectors. They came with a set of 6000k HID bulbs. To be honest, the headlights alone are not that bright at night. If you were to compare these to a set of normal headlights with 6000k HID's put in them, the normal factory headlights would win by a long shot. So much brighter. But the halo projectors are for looks. I put in 6000k HID's in my fog lights too, and it definitely makes the fog lights A LOT brighter. And the light from my fogs more than makes up for the small light output from my headlights. All in all, it's gonna be brighter if you get HID's in both heads and fogs than if you stay stock. But it's your call. I personally love my set up.
OK so you are saying keep the stock head/fog light units and just put 6000k HID bulbs in them and it will be a lot brighter? I am just wondering because the front passanger side headlight needs to get replaced anyways because the seal was broken when I bought the truck so when it gets real hot or it rains then I get a crazy amount of condensation.
Old 09-13-2011, 08:32 AM   #4
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfpack_5150 View Post
the ebay deals are for looks (I guess).......but suck as far as function.

look into a real retrofit if u want projectors.

do a search for FXR retrofit, or Morimoto mini retrofit.
x2, do a true retrofit with halos if that's the look you're going for. It's by far the best light output you'll get and you can reseal your headlight in the process.

I wouldn't put HID's in a stock headlight housing. They simply aren't made to work together. The stock headlights are made to work with halogen bulbs and throwing a HID bulb in there give you stray light everywhere. They are a lot brighter than stock bulbs but end up blinding oncoming traffic. See above, retrofit with halos, do it right and you won't be disappointed.
Old 09-13-2011, 11:42 AM   #5
Stop staring at me swan!

Thanks guys. I don't really have the money to do these yet cause I am about get new tires. I figured for the money I would spend to get replacement units I could just get HIDs and spend about the same but I was definitely wrong lol. I think I am just going to get some replacement stock units instead. Either way they need to get replaced soon cause they are not emitting much light. What do you guys think?
Old 09-13-2011, 11:56 AM   #6
saugus is on a distinguished road
saugus's Tacoma Gallery
I have some fx35 projectors, hella ballasts and phillips bulbs. I plan to pick up a pair of ebay housings to build something when I have some time in the rainy season. I will make a thread one day.

I don't suggest ebay halo projector shit. It is usually the crappy half ass setup with terrible lenses.
Old 09-13-2011, 12:56 PM   #7
Stop staring at me swan!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfpack_5150 View Post
why not get a fresh take off set from here?

why even chance ebay......the lenses sometimes peel off a layer of clear film.

I didnt chance it with ebays

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...ings-sold.html

If any pics in that thread look odd, its because I had the lenses wrapped with saran wrap while working with them.....forget scratches, those didnt even have fingerprints on em when I was done.

How much did this set up cost you? I am assuming you did both headlights lol
Old 09-13-2011, 01:04 PM   #8
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacoman15 View Post
How much did this set up cost you? I am assuming you did both headlights lol
Checkout The Retrofit Source. Depending on the options, right around $300 for that set-up you see there and a little bit of elbow grease. There's a group buy that's going on now so you can get a discount on the parts.

Not to speak for Brock but that's the set-up I'm eventually working towards
Old 09-13-2011, 01:09 PM   #9
saugus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
Checkout The Retrofit Source. Depending on the options, right around $300 for that set-up you see there and a little bit of elbow grease. There's a group buy that's going on now so you can get a discount on the parts.

Not to speak for Brock but that's the set-up I'm eventually working towards
I don't see that possible. Housings, ballasts, bulbs, harnesses, projectors together are going to be over $500.
Old 09-13-2011, 01:16 PM   #10

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by saugus View Post
I don't see that possible. Housings, ballasts, bulbs, harnesses, projectors together are going to be over $500.
HID kits are only like $100, that leaves $200 for the projector itself. You have to reuse (or retrofit) your stock headlight housing. With the group buy going on, they'll get 20% off the list prices on the website (theretrofitsource.com)

Bi-xenon FX-R Stage III Kit

$315.00

ON SALE! The FX-R Stage III is a crowd favorite with the high performance FX-R Clear Lens Projectors, Morimoto Ballasts & Bulbs, Shrouds and a Plug-N-Play Harness. Free UPS Ground Coupon: TRS34
Ballasts: Morimoto 3Five (35w)Morimoto 3Five (35w) Long Cord Output (+$5.00)Morimoto 5Five (50w) (+$5.00)
Bulbs: Morimoto 3Five 4300K D2SMorimoto 3Five 5000K D2SMorimoto 3Five 6000K D2SMorimoto 5Five 4300K D2SMorimoto 5Five 5000K D2SMorimoto 5Five 6000K D2SNew Philips 85122+ D2S (+$45.00)
CCFL Angel Eyes: NoYes (+$25.00)
Projectors: LHD (North American Standard)RHD (UK, Australia, etc)
Re-sealing Glue: No ThanksYes please (+$10.00)
Shrouds: ApolloE46-RE46-R (extended)E55-RGatling GunGTi-RMC-ROcularOrbitSubtract/Do not include (-$30.00)
Wire Harness: Relay: 9006Relay: 9007/9004Relay: H1Relay: H11Relay: H13/9008Relay: H4/9003Relay: H7
Old 09-13-2011, 01:21 PM   #11
Taco Jinx...
ewa2fl is on a distinguished road

Name: Ed
ewa2fl's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to ewa2fl
I like the look of the Projection, but want the bright light. I put in Sylvania Silver Star Ultra Brights & they make a huge difference on my back-woods roads!
Old 09-13-2011, 01:33 PM   #12
saugus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
HID kits are only like $100, that leaves $200 for the projector itself. You have to reuse (or retrofit) your stock headlight housing. With the group buy going on, they'll get 20% off the list prices on the website (theretrofitsource.com)

Bi-xenon FX-R Stage III Kit

$315.00

ON SALE! The FX-R Stage III is a crowd favorite with the high performance FX-R Clear Lens Projectors, Morimoto Ballasts & Bulbs, Shrouds and a Plug-N-Play Harness. Free UPS Ground Coupon: TRS34
Ballasts: Morimoto 3Five (35w)Morimoto 3Five (35w) Long Cord Output (+$5.00)Morimoto 5Five (50w) (+$5.00)
Bulbs: Morimoto 3Five 4300K D2SMorimoto 3Five 5000K D2SMorimoto 3Five 6000K D2SMorimoto 5Five 4300K D2SMorimoto 5Five 5000K D2SMorimoto 5Five 6000K D2SNew Philips 85122+ D2S (+$45.00)
CCFL Angel Eyes: NoYes (+$25.00)
Projectors: LHD (North American Standard)RHD (UK, Australia, etc)
Re-sealing Glue: No ThanksYes please (+$10.00)
Shrouds: ApolloE46-RE46-R (extended)E55-RGatling GunGTi-RMC-ROcularOrbitSubtract/Do not include (-$30.00)
Wire Harness: Relay: 9006Relay: 9007/9004Relay: H1Relay: H11Relay: H13/9008Relay: H4/9003Relay: H7
Yeah I didn't realize you were talking aftermarket exclusive stuff. I assume those projectors are oem copies like the bulbs.
Old 09-13-2011, 07:01 PM   #13
SilverStreak05 is a splendid one to beholdSilverStreak05 is a splendid one to beholdSilverStreak05 is a splendid one to beholdSilverStreak05 is a splendid one to beholdSilverStreak05 is a splendid one to beholdSilverStreak05 is a splendid one to beholdSilverStreak05 is a splendid one to behold
SilverStreak05's Tacoma Gallery
My G3 setup. About $150 for everything.

Old 01-11-2012, 07:24 PM   #14
MPG? LOL
sean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
sean266's Tacoma Gallery
Subd
Old 01-11-2012, 07:37 PM   #15
Red
Large is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Large's Tacoma Gallery
SilverStreak05.. Details / link please?
Old 01-11-2012, 10:27 PM   #16
Retired Senior NCO
sfcadams is one of the sharper tools in the shedsfcadams is one of the sharper tools in the shedsfcadams is one of the sharper tools in the shedsfcadams is one of the sharper tools in the shedsfcadams is one of the sharper tools in the shedsfcadams is one of the sharper tools in the shedsfcadams is one of the sharper tools in the shedsfcadams is one of the sharper tools in the shedsfcadams is one of the sharper tools in the shedsfcadams is one of the sharper tools in the shedsfcadams is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Retired U.S. Army Air Defender
Name: Dan
sfcadams's Tacoma Gallery
Old 01-11-2012, 10:34 PM   #17
displaced viking living in new jersey
stunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: hans
stunt man hans's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by saugus View Post
Yeah I didn't realize you were talking aftermarket exclusive stuff. I assume those projectors are oem copies like the bulbs.
the replica fx-r that trs makes and sells is actually a better unit than the oem fx projector at least this is what i was told.

i never ran either until i got my current fx-rs and they are epic at night man.

6 lanes across of daylight.