Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Tacoma vs Tundra

Old 09-13-2011, 07:24 AM   #1
bramllr is on a distinguished road
bramllr's Tacoma Gallery
Tacoma vs Tundra

Hey guys I am new here and I am sure this has been discussed before and if it has just send me the link to the thread.

I have been looking at the 2006 Tundras and was dead set on getting one until I started reading about the 2nd gen Tacoma. I realize there isnt much room difference and that was the main reason for getting the Tundra. I will have a baby boy here around Christmas so the ease of fitting a car seat in the back seat if preferred. The length of the bed isnt a big deal to me as I will probably have a trailer to haul whatever it may be that will not fit in the bed. I guess my question is, which do you guys think is more mechanically reliable? I know this is a Tacoma forum and you will probably lean more towards the Tacoma but I have read on the Tundra forum and have heard of very few complaints about mechanical issues. I have driven a Tacoma before and liked it and also I love the look of the Tacoma over the Tundra. Another question. How many miles do you think one can get out of a Tacoma mainly using it for a daily driver and some off roading on a deer lease? Any and all input is appreciated.
Old 09-13-2011, 07:28 AM   #2
Don't ask questions you don't want the answer to..
chadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shed

chadderkdawg's Tacoma Gallery
If you are wanting to haul the kid, get a double cab, if you are wanting to haul stuff, get a long box. Double cab, long box is the way to go for you. A better value than a first gen Tundra, basically the same truck, but more reliable. I've got 135k on my 2006, its a daily driver and my only cost is fuel. I've had no mechanical repairs since I've owned it (knock on wood). The Tundra would have more power and a little more head room, but if you aren't too concerned with those things I would just go with the Taco. Hope that helps!
Old 09-13-2011, 07:33 AM   #3
U no kea but AINOFEA!
kauaibuilt is one of the sharper tools in the shedkauaibuilt is one of the sharper tools in the shedkauaibuilt is one of the sharper tools in the shedkauaibuilt is one of the sharper tools in the shedkauaibuilt is one of the sharper tools in the shedkauaibuilt is one of the sharper tools in the shedkauaibuilt is one of the sharper tools in the shedkauaibuilt is one of the sharper tools in the shedkauaibuilt is one of the sharper tools in the shedkauaibuilt is one of the sharper tools in the shedkauaibuilt is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army: Nurse
kauaibuilt's Tacoma Gallery
I got an 11mo old... We used a base with our rear facing seat and it was tight to put him in the middle of the rear seat - it was actually worse when we tried to fit the seat without the base. Now he's in a convertible seat (the ones that face rearward until they're old/heavy enough to face front) and rides behind the driver seat. Again, tight fit with it facing rearward.

Since we have a dog I ended up getting a bestop so she could ride in back. now that hes on one side I sold the bestop.

If carrying 1 or 2 people in the rear it'll be tight. If carrying enough stuff for a vacation it'll be tight unless you have a roof rack or bed cover or cap.

Taco served our purposes - barely - but better then the FJ (yeah we considered one of those) would have consider the reach into the rear. I can say that I miss my Access Cab F150 (bought new and traded in 2009) and have wished for it back because of the space in the back (too bad parking in the city sucks with a FS truck).

Thats my $0.02.
Old 09-13-2011, 07:34 AM   #4
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery
I have an 05 Tundra AC. The only issue I have had with it is a TPMS sensor failing. From a reliability stand point, I would consider them equals.

You will probably pay less for the Tundra than the Tacoma, but that's going to boil down to what options you are looking for. Believe it or not, gas mileage is fairly equal too, even though the Tundra has the 4.7l. The only thing the Tundra has against it (IMHO) is the timing belt and the fact that it is an interference motor (4.7l). The 4.0l has a chain.

FWIW, the First gen Tundras are almost the same size as Second Gen Tacomas. It boils down to an inch or two here and there dimensionally. All in all, they are both solid trucks.
Old 09-13-2011, 07:35 AM   #5
Recklessly tired
Fightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Luke
Fightnfire's Tacoma Gallery
I haul two kids in an access cab, we fit fine. A double cab would be nicer, obviously, but that was also about 4-5k more in price for a used certified. I looked everywhere and the double cabs, 09+ under 30k miles were 28+ I found my access cab for 23,500.

My two are 3 and 10 mos. The 3 year old faces forward behind me and the 10mos old faces backward behind my wife. The little guy can face forward in a year, then we will swap their seating position and we'll get even more room.

I wouldn't put any kids in the back of anything older than 09. The safety features added in 09+ get the Tacoma a 4-5 star rating depending on the test ...

All Tacoma btw, no idea on the Tundra, never been in a fist gen.
Old 09-13-2011, 07:40 AM   #6
MAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

MAXTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
My Dad has an 04 Tundra Dbl Cab 4.7 4x4 120k. Great truck but on the 4.7 you need to replace the timing belt (4.0 Tacomas dont), Tundra seem to have a common problem with warped from disks (80k on Tacoma and not a problem), Dads Tundra seems to need O2 Sensors and are expensive, and Dads Tundra seems to have developed an exhaust/intake leak. Now for the Tacomas issues as all cars have them. The 4.0 seems to be pretty well built, never heard on anyone have any issues with the motor or the 5 speed auto. The 6 speed people seem tohave some issue with the throw out bearing. The Suspension on the trucks from the factory is weak, so people bottom out and replace others dont have any problems at all. I had to replace mine as I was botting out w/ no weight in the bed. Some guys have also had trouble with the wheel bearing. Other than that, that is all I can think of. Both a VERY good trucks. Just have to decide it you really need the extra room of a Tundra DBL cab or if the Tacoma DBL cab will work. I would suggest putting a car seat in and out of both. I've had a car seat in the back of mine and it was a little snug. GL
Old 09-13-2011, 08:22 AM   #7
textoy is on a distinguished road
Name: Fred
textoy's Tacoma Gallery
I had a 2004 double cab tundra and in spite of the appearance of being the same size as a 2nd gen tacoma, there is a great deal more room in the tundra than in my 11 double cab tacoma. It is quite a bit wider and light years more room in the back. I'm 6'2" and with the seat all the way back, there was room for someone to sit reasonably comfortably in the back. With a kid on the way, i recommend the tundra.
As far as gas goes, the tundra will only get 13-15 in town but up to 20-21 on the highway if you drive moderately.(a 2006 may do better than a '4) My Tacoma gets 18 1/2-19 1/2 in town AND on the highway.
Old 09-13-2011, 11:09 AM   #8
grivera is one of the sharper tools in the shedgrivera is one of the sharper tools in the shedgrivera is one of the sharper tools in the shedgrivera is one of the sharper tools in the shedgrivera is one of the sharper tools in the shedgrivera is one of the sharper tools in the shedgrivera is one of the sharper tools in the shedgrivera is one of the sharper tools in the shedgrivera is one of the sharper tools in the shedgrivera is one of the sharper tools in the shedgrivera is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
grivera's Tacoma Gallery
My 2 kids (12 & 10) fit just fine in my DC '08. Unless you and/or your wife are really big and/or tall, space will not be an issue in a DC. Based on your description of intended use, I don't see the need for a Tundra. BTW, I average 18-20.5 mpg combined in my Tacoma (89 octane), but I drive with an egg under the go pedal...
Old 09-13-2011, 11:51 AM   #9
Ivan is one of the sharper tools in the shedIvan is one of the sharper tools in the shedIvan is one of the sharper tools in the shedIvan is one of the sharper tools in the shedIvan is one of the sharper tools in the shedIvan is one of the sharper tools in the shedIvan is one of the sharper tools in the shedIvan is one of the sharper tools in the shedIvan is one of the sharper tools in the shedIvan is one of the sharper tools in the shedIvan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ivan
Ivan's Tacoma Gallery
This thread makes me feel happier about owning a Tacoma
Old 09-13-2011, 01:51 PM   #10
bramllr's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by grivera View Post
My 2 kids (12 & 10) fit just fine in my DC '08. Unless you and/or your wife are really big and/or tall, space will not be an issue in a DC. Based on your description of intended use, I don't see the need for a Tundra. BTW, I average 18-20.5 mpg combined in my Tacoma (89 octane), but I drive with an egg under the go pedal...
I am not a very big person. 6'1" and my wife is 5'5". We dont plan on using my truck as the main vehicle that we haul the kids in but when I do put them in there I would like it to be some what comfortable.

Thanks for all the input!
Old 09-13-2011, 02:16 PM   #11
likeoof808 is on a distinguished road
Air Force: Civil Engineer
Name: rex
likeoof808's Tacoma Gallery
I LOVE MY 2011 TACO! but i kinda wish i had a new tundra...
Old 09-13-2011, 06:37 PM   #12
Throughhonor is on a distinguished road

Marines: 2/25 Garden City NY
Name: Ryan
Throughhonor's Tacoma Gallery
seems like you got your answers, but good luck with your son
Old 09-13-2011, 08:26 PM   #13
bramllr's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Throughhonor View Post
seems like you got your answers, but good luck with your son