Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

I thought these trucks got good gas mileage?

Old 09-13-2011, 07:35 PM   #1
Paczowski123 is on a distinguished road
Name: David
Paczowski123's Tacoma Gallery
I thought these trucks got good gas mileage?

Well unless there is some weird way these tanks work and go faster on the last half than the first half of a tank im getting bad gas mileage it seems? I read a thread where it said there are 3 gallons left when the light turns on so therefore ~7 gallons should be used before the light comes on. I am only getting about 95 miles before the light turns on? This is a mix of highway and around town driving. About 40 highway and the rest city. so in reality i should get ~130 miles before needing gas. Should i not be getting more than 130 miles on half a tank? that would mean 13 mpg?

Is this normal im new to tacomas just switched over from a jeep heavily modified and lifted on 35's with lockers and it got about the same as this truck?

my truck is not heavily modified just a 3" ome lift and 265/75/16 bfg at's?
air filter was just replaced, oil changed, all fluids changed, only thing i haven't done is spark plugs...and i am not heavy footed i drive conservatively...
Old 09-13-2011, 07:36 PM   #2
I'll eat all your food.
UndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Justin
UndefinedTaco's Tacoma Gallery
You just think your gas is going down faster when it's below half a tank(because it does..but it's not the gas itself..it's your gas gauge). The gauge has fluctuations in it.
Alot of Toyota trucks are like that.
Old 09-13-2011, 07:37 PM   #3
Not very sporting to fire on an unarmed opponent.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
I have the OME lift , 265/70/17 E rated Hankook MT's , a Leer cap , and a DCLB 4x4 and I average 19.5 US MPG

Somethings not right
Old 09-13-2011, 07:38 PM   #4
Science!
AndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shed

AndrewFalk's Tacoma Gallery
Run a full tank through the truck and fill up...then check your numbers.
Old 09-13-2011, 07:39 PM   #6
Superx2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuperx2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuperx2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuperx2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuperx2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuperx2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuperx2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuperx2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuperx2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuperx2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuperx2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Joey
Superx2's Tacoma Gallery
how do you drive? keep your rpm's below 2000. im getting 18.5 best. driving like a dousche 25% of the time. in town i get probably 16.5-17 or so.
Old 09-13-2011, 07:40 PM   #7
thats what i was thinking i know tank sizes/dimensions can fluctuate but didnt think that much? anyone think the plugs in the truck are old causing bad gas mileage?
Old 09-13-2011, 07:40 PM   #8
JKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

JKD's Tacoma Gallery
It's a 21 gallon tank, and depending on the truck the light turns on when you have 3-5 gallons left.

Even with all city driving in bad conditions I get 17 mpg (have gotten up to 21.5 mpg on a tank driving mostly back highways). At 17 mpg you should get to 300 miles before the light under those conditions.
Old 09-13-2011, 07:40 PM   #9
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paczowski123 View Post
thats what i was thinking i know tank sizes/dimensions can fluctuate
They don't .

You have a 21 gallon tank
Old 09-13-2011, 07:41 PM   #11
Science!
AndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
thats what i was thinking i know tank sizes/dimensions can fluctuate but didnt think that much? anyone think the plugs in the truck are old causing bad gas mileage?
Yes. The plugs in that truck should be changed every 30k IIRC.
Old 09-13-2011, 07:41 PM   #12
Quote:
Originally Posted by memario1214 View Post
Any reason you only have 10 gal in your tank at any given time?

Im in college...that should explain enough
Old 09-13-2011, 07:42 PM   #13
Quote:
I lol'd
im aware they have a 21 gallon tank..but it will never be filled to EXACTLY 21 gallons b/c of safety shutoffs..
Old 09-13-2011, 07:43 PM   #14
Vivid Illumination
memario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Colton
memario1214's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Im in college...that should explain enough
Yeah, and so am I. At least drop the coin to fill up your tank all of the way, and then just fill it up when you get down to half a tank. Running low on fuel all of the time is hell on your pump...
Old 09-13-2011, 07:43 PM   #15
Superx2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuperx2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuperx2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuperx2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuperx2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuperx2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuperx2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuperx2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuperx2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuperx2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuperx2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Joey
Superx2's Tacoma Gallery

i had a mission to run out of gas. the light was on for 4 days and ran out in my drive way. (thats when it stalled) this was before last fill up
Old 09-13-2011, 07:44 PM   #17
anymore on bad gas mileage? so would everyone agree this is bad? regardless of half-full etc.
Old 09-13-2011, 07:44 PM   #18

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superx2 View Post
i had a mission to run out of gas. the light was on for 4 days and ran out in my drive way. (thats when it stalled) this was before last fill up

Why would you do that
Old 09-13-2011, 07:45 PM   #19
joes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Joe
joes06tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
16 city, 17 mixed driving, about 18-19 on the highway. This is with 89 or higher octane fuel. My mileage goes up when I leave California with our crappy fuel. The automatics get better mileage also.

I get about 80 miles out of the first 1/4 tank, 160 out of the first half tank. After that it dives, maybe 200-220 and I'm at the 1/4 full mark and looking for gas. On a road trip, that's more like 250-260.
Old 09-13-2011, 07:45 PM   #20
Science!

Quote:
im aware they have a 21 gallon tank..but it will never be filled to EXACTLY 21 gallons b/c of safety shutoffs..
No, when you fill the tank completely, you will always have 21 gal.

17 gallons when light comes on, 4 gallons in reserve.

Quote:
Yeah, and so am I. At least drop the coin to fill up your tank all of the way, and then just fill it up when you get down to half a tank. Running low on fuel all of the time is hell on your pump...
As long as fuel is flowing through the pump, it is being cooled, and there will be no issues.