Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Replaced tires and TPMS light is now on 2011 tacoma

Old 09-14-2011, 12:54 PM   #1
nmhs is on a distinguished road
Firefighter:
nmhs's Tacoma Gallery
Replaced tires and TPMS light is now on 2011 tacoma

I swapped my 245's for 265's and kept the original rims and now my TPMS light stays on. I followed the instructions in the owners manual and now I'm wondering do I need to have the codes reset to get that light to go away.

Any remedies to this problem?
Old 09-14-2011, 12:57 PM   #2
Blackshirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackshirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackshirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackshirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackshirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackshirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackshirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackshirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackshirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackshirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackshirts is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Mike
Blackshirts's Tacoma Gallery
Prolly need them reset.
Old 09-14-2011, 12:58 PM   #3
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Jester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dan
Jester243's Tacoma Gallery
what is the tire pressure now and what was it before, did you reset the TPMS? Is it steady on or blinking?
Old 09-14-2011, 05:44 PM   #4
40 Year Toyota/Chrysler Tech/ASE Master
Tacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Tacoma Mike's Tacoma Gallery
don't need codes reset.
don't need to touch that set switch.
might have to play with it now though.

sounds like they broke a sensor.

Jester needs answers.
Old 09-14-2011, 05:47 PM   #5
Sanders17 is a jewel in the roughSanders17 is a jewel in the roughSanders17 is a jewel in the rough
Name: Reed
Sanders17's Tacoma Gallery
You probably need a new sensor as stated above. i had to replace one of mine when i did the same thing.
Old 09-15-2011, 10:29 AM   #6
Firefighter:
nmhs's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanders17 View Post
You probably need a new sensor as stated above. i had to replace one of mine when i did the same thing.
Should the business that replaced the tires be responsible for replacing this sensor or am I. I ask this because it was some yound kids that swapped the tires and they didn't even know how to take off the tire weight?

Thanks
Old 09-15-2011, 10:34 AM   #7
Ainokea
RecklessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRecklessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRecklessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRecklessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRecklessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRecklessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRecklessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRecklessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRecklessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRecklessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRecklessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
RecklessTaco's Tacoma Gallery
I would say yes they should be responsible! Im rolling at 144,000 miles on my truck and have been through 4 sets of tires and three different sets of rims and have never had a problem with my TPMS
Old 09-15-2011, 10:42 AM   #8
Sometimes when I close my eyes, I can't see.
Toyota Tech31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Tech31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Tech31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Tech31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Tech31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Tech31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Tech31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Tech31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Tech31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Tech31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Tech31 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jason
Toyota Tech31's Tacoma Gallery
Absolutely, if it were my shop and we broke the sensor, we would replace it, we often have aftermarket tire shops send cars here b/c they broke one and need to replace it. Is the light blinking?
Old 09-15-2011, 04:46 PM   #9
Firefighter:
nmhs's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyota Tech31 View Post
Absolutely, if it were my shop and we broke the sensor, we would replace it, we often have aftermarket tire shops send cars here b/c they broke one and need to replace it. Is the light blinking?

The light blinks for one minute and then goes solid. Are they easy to break? These guys were trying to beat on the rim with a hammer to pull the weight off until I caught them and helped them understand how it comes off. Could that pounding break the TPMS? The tires are set at 40 PSI and the spare is 30 PSI.

Any thoughts
Old 09-15-2011, 04:53 PM   #10
Glamour Shot
ajohnson is one of the sharper tools in the shedajohnson is one of the sharper tools in the shedajohnson is one of the sharper tools in the shedajohnson is one of the sharper tools in the shedajohnson is one of the sharper tools in the shedajohnson is one of the sharper tools in the shedajohnson is one of the sharper tools in the shedajohnson is one of the sharper tools in the shedajohnson is one of the sharper tools in the shedajohnson is one of the sharper tools in the shedajohnson is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Andy
ajohnson's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmhs View Post
The light blinks for one minute and then goes solid. Are they easy to break? These guys were trying to beat on the rim with a hammer to pull the weight off until I caught them and helped them understand how it comes off. Could that pounding break the TPMS? The tires are set at 40 PSI and the spare is 30 PSI.

Any thoughts
I would have told them to put the f****** wheels back on, and gone to a different shop. Since the damage is done, I would go back and explain the situation and tell them to fix it.
Old 09-15-2011, 04:55 PM   #11
40 Year Toyota/Chrysler Tech/ASE Master
Tacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Tacoma Mike's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmhs View Post
The light blinks for one minute and then goes solid.
broken sensor.
Take it back.

They won't be able to activate the new sensor so you will have to go to a dealer to type in the new sensor codes.

Have them replace it and write down the sensor code and then have them pay to have the sensors input into the ECU from the dealer. Or have the dealer do everything with a P.O. from the other place.
We do this ALL the time.
Old 09-15-2011, 04:57 PM   #12
robsled is one of the sharper tools in the shedrobsled is one of the sharper tools in the shedrobsled is one of the sharper tools in the shedrobsled is one of the sharper tools in the shedrobsled is one of the sharper tools in the shedrobsled is one of the sharper tools in the shedrobsled is one of the sharper tools in the shedrobsled is one of the sharper tools in the shedrobsled is one of the sharper tools in the shedrobsled is one of the sharper tools in the shedrobsled is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rob
robsled's Tacoma Gallery
Doesn't sound like a very good shop if they had "young kids" pounding on the wheel with a hammer to get the weights off! Just sayin'.....
Old 09-15-2011, 05:06 PM   #13
samsung has a brilliant futuresamsung has a brilliant futuresamsung has a brilliant futuresamsung has a brilliant futuresamsung has a brilliant futuresamsung has a brilliant futuresamsung has a brilliant futuresamsung has a brilliant futuresamsung has a brilliant futuresamsung has a brilliant futuresamsung has a brilliant future

Name: George
samsung's Tacoma Gallery
if the tpms lights weren't on when you took it in and it's on after they worked on it. It is the shops reponsibility to fix it. i had to replace one on my mazda3 when i had a blow out. i think the blow out broke my sensor in the process. i went to this website and bought one, it's been working since then. www.orange-electronics.com

good luck