Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Grinding/ Seizing from front end after 3" OME lift

Old 09-15-2011, 08:25 AM   #1
goldenstone is on a distinguished road
Name: Matt
goldenstone's Tacoma Gallery
Grinding/ Seizing from front end after 3" OME lift

Hello all, I just found this forum and this is my first post. I searched around the forum and have seen similar problems, but my issue seems different. I installed a 3 " OME lift with a diff drop almost 3 months ago on my 07 TRD. In the last week when I am turning left, I have noticed a grinding and kind of clanking noise coming from the drivers side front end, sometimes the noise occurs slightly while slowing down too. I have also noticed that the steering wheel jerks to the right when slowing down.

After reading a few posts I decided to try and put it into 4WD to see if this made the sound dissapear. It makes the sound way worse, and almost seizes the front end. In 4WD I could not turn at all and it seemed like the front drivers side was locking up. Any ideas what this could be, I am calling the shop today that installed the lift, but would like some ideas of what could be the issue.

Thanks in advance
Old 09-15-2011, 08:28 AM   #2
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery
Sounds like the wheel bearing is FUBAR.
Old 09-15-2011, 08:30 AM   #3
Don't ask questions you don't want the answer to..
chadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shed

chadderkdawg's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 98tacoma27 View Post
Sounds like the wheel bearing is FUBAR.
Bingo
Old 09-15-2011, 08:32 AM   #4
Wow, I am impressed with the fast responses. Thanks alot. If it is the wheel bearing it makes sense that the sound worsens with 4WD engaged? Also, could this be due to improper install of the lift kit? SOrry for my ignorance, I am not too mechanically inclined
Old 09-15-2011, 08:34 AM   #5
chadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Yes (to the 4wd?), and no (to the fault of the lift).
Old 09-15-2011, 08:34 AM   #6
Resident Jackass
Krazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: EMT - Alberta Health Services - Olds
Name: Power Serge
Krazie Sj's Tacoma Gallery
Nope. The wheel bearings on these suck balls. They're pretty much disposable. Honestly.

Ben - You and your first gen can shut the hell up right now.

You can do it yourself and save a lot of cash. There's a tutorial on here somewhere about doing it.

Where in Calgary are you located? I'm up in Coventry Hills.
Old 09-15-2011, 08:36 AM   #7
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenstone View Post
Wow, I am impressed with the fast responses. Thanks alot. If it is the wheel bearing it makes sense that the sound worsens with 4WD engaged? Also, could this be due to improper install of the lift kit? SOrry for my ignorance, I am not too mechanically inclined
No, the lift has nothing to do with it. It's coincidental.
Old 09-15-2011, 08:38 AM   #8

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...-bearings.html

Enjoy!
Old 09-15-2011, 08:38 AM   #9

Marines:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krazie Sj View Post
Nope. The wheel bearings on these suck balls. They're pretty much disposable. Honestly.

Ben - You and your first gen can shut the hell up right now.

You can do it yourself and save a lot of cash. There's a tutorial on here somewhere about doing it.

Where in Calgary are you located? I'm up in Coventry Hills.
Old 09-15-2011, 08:44 AM   #11

Marines:
Old 09-15-2011, 08:45 AM   #12
Thanks again guys, who needs a mechanic when you can get advice this fast! Krazie, I'm down in the dirty south by Spruce Meadows. I'll look at the link and see if I think I can do it myself. Do you think it would be warranty? I bought the extended warranty when I bought out my least in March, or will the lift kit void warranty?
Old 09-15-2011, 08:46 AM   #13
Bullwinkle J. Moose
bjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
bjmoose's Tacoma Gallery
I'm not yet convinced it's wheel bearing, but doing more tests is indicated.

Jack up the front end a couple inches (set the parking brake first!) and grasp the top and bottom of the tire and try to wobble it.

Do the same thing front and back.

Wobble indicates bearings.

Also, just spin the wheel and listen. You want a quiet, smooth spin, though you may hear a little brake caliper drag. But a clunking, clicking, ticking spin indicates wheel bearings.
Old 09-15-2011, 08:53 AM   #14
Resident Jackass
Krazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Thanks again guys, who needs a mechanic when you can get advice this fast! Krazie, I'm down in the dirty south by Spruce Meadows. I'll look at the link and see if I think I can do it myself. Do you think it would be warranty? I bought the extended warranty when I bought out my least in March, or will the lift kit void warranty?
Right on. I used to live in Cranston, so I'm guessing you're probably closer to Evergreen or Somerset.

And it all depends on which location you take it too. I'd recommend Heninger Toyota. The local club goes there, so they're used to working on modified trucks. Honestly though, there's a chance they'll tell you to go pound sand due to the lift. But if anywhere has a chance it's Heninger.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98tacoma27 View Post
Old 09-15-2011, 09:22 AM   #16
Bullwinkle J. Moose
bjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
bjmoose's Tacoma Gallery
These things are notoriously difficult to pin down without seeing the truck, and can be difficult even if you have the truck in hand. So while I acknowledge the expertise of some of the posters on this forum - so far no one has given you this caveat.

You say it sounds like driver side - but then when you brake, it pulls passenger. Sounds are very difficult to pinpoint directionally. The problem may well be passenger side.

Have you put the truck in 4wd on pavement before? As soon as you try to turn, the tires bind up against the pavement (tacomas have no center differential.) I'm not sure exactly what you mean by "almost seizes the front end" but you shouldn't be trying to learn anything by going into 4WD while on pavement except to detect a change in rolling sounds when going completely straight.

Basically, I'm strongly recommending you have a mechanic look at it do diagnosis, rather than do-it-yourself start replacing parts based on internet diagnosis. If you get a confident diagnosis from someone you reasonably trust, and then decide then to take on a DIY repair that's another thing. At least then you can follow the steps in a shop manual to do a remove & replace with fair confidence that what you're replacing will actually _solve_ the problem.
Old 09-15-2011, 10:20 AM   #17
I put the truck into 4wd while rolling slowly straight forward, I instantly started to hear the grinding/binding noise, and the truck slowed right down and it felt as if it took alot more gas to get the truck to move forward. On a slight turn of the wheel the noise became much louder and basically stopped the truck.
Old 09-15-2011, 10:22 AM   #18
I was thinking it could be a CV issue, as I have read some CV threads and some of the symptoms sounds similar.
Old 09-15-2011, 12:38 PM   #19
Resident Jackass

Turning the wheel while in 4WD on hard ground will stop your truck and make it so it takes a lot of gas to move because you're causing drive line bind and you'll essentially blow up your transfer case.

Bad goldenstone. Bad! *Sprays with water*
Old 09-15-2011, 04:29 PM   #20

Marines:
Quote:
I was thinking it could be a CV issue, as I have read some CV threads and some of the symptoms sounds similar.
If the boots aren't torn I wouldn't expect the CV to be bad. That's a rarity. It's more common for the bearings to fail.