1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

piaa lights and high beam wire

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by steve103, Sep 15, 2011.

1. Sep 15, 2011 at 5:34 PM
    steve103

steve103 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    steve
    santa cruz ca
    Vehicle:
    07 taco
    arb bumper,bilstein shocks,886 ome springs,ar mojove rims,2optima batteries,custom electrial.on board air,cb,14gal frontrunner water tank,frontrunner roofrack
    any one know how to or where to find the high beam wire going to the light,in the cab? thanks .

2. Sep 15, 2011 at 5:49 PM
    kinkrider101

kinkrider101 Well-Known Member

Member:
    santa barbara
    Vehicle:
    2007 cummins/2007 tacoma
    wheels and tires
  3. Sep 15, 2011 at 7:03 PM
    BarefootBandit

BarefootBandit Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    TC UCA OME 884 5100 TSB+AAL 4.10 V6 6spd 285/75/16
    Make sure you use a relay.

4. Sep 15, 2011 at 10:08 PM
    joes06tacoma

joes06tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Central Coast, CA
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 Off Road Access Cab v6 6spd
    LEER Shell with dome lights operated with 3 way switches, aux backup lights with relay and 3 position switch, modified wiring to compass/temp display and clock to include switch that disables dimming function (poor man's DRL solution), Scan Gauge 2
    If I am reading this correctly, there should be a yellow wire with a black stripe in the left side driver's kick panel. This is providing a ground to the high/low relay under the hood to switch to high beam. I don't see a way to access positive side power from inside the cab.

You would have to tap in under the hood like the others here are describing. It can be done with ground switching if you really understand what you are doing and aren't just reading off the instruction sheet from PIAA.

You should definitely use a relay, it won't work any other way. If you aren't confident in your wiring skills and understanding of how a relay functions, you should just run a wire out to the headlight socket and call it good.

5. Sep 16, 2011 at 5:44 AM
    steve103

Member:
    First Name:
    steve
    santa cruz ca
    Vehicle:
    07 taco
    arb bumper,bilstein shocks,886 ome springs,ar mojove rims,2optima batteries,custom electrial.on board air,cb,14gal frontrunner water tank,frontrunner roofrack
    thanks joe, that was what ive been thinking. but if i dont go to the head light why the relay? central coast? where im in santa cruz,aptos.

6. Sep 16, 2011 at 8:01 AM
    joes06tacoma

joes06tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Central Coast, CA
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 Off Road Access Cab v6 6spd
    LEER Shell with dome lights operated with 3 way switches, aux backup lights with relay and 3 position switch, modified wiring to compass/temp display and clock to include switch that disables dimming function (poor man's DRL solution), Scan Gauge 2
    A relay is basically a set of switch contacts with an electromagnet used to close them. You can't add an extra 10 or 20 amps to an existing headlight circuit. You'll either blow fuses or burn wiring up. If the PIAAs come with a harness, it should have a relay already in that harness. The power for your new lights will come directly from the battery, through the relay to the lights. The magnetic coil in the relay only needs a fraction of an amp to activate, so you will do no damage to the circuit you are tapping into.

The wire I am talking about is already just a control wire, not capable of any significant amperage. If you tap your lights into that, you will burn something up, and it will probably be something expensive.

There is a good thread on here that one of the electrical engineers on this board put together. I don't have time to search for it right now, but he has some good info in there if you need some basics on electrical wiring.

I am in San Luis Obispo. I love it here. I keep getting older, the girls stay the same age.:D

7. Sep 17, 2011 at 12:01 PM
    steve103

Member:
    First Name:
    steve
    santa cruz ca
    Vehicle:
    07 taco
    thanks joe,central coast i thought you ment up here in santa cruz. thanks for the info yea it did come with a relay i thought you ment adding another one. im thinking of not using the high beam wire just getting power from another source.

Products Discussed in

To Top