Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Fuel gauge shows empty, 1/4 tank left and dealer service?

Old 09-15-2011, 10:52 PM   #1
Chumley is on a distinguished road
Name: Chum
Chumley's Tacoma Gallery
Question Fuel gauge shows empty, 1/4 tank left and dealer service?

I am new to the forum and hate to start this way but I need some help right away to deal with a dealer service department and Toyota. I appreciate any help.

I just got my new 2011 Double Cab TRD Off Road back from the shop. It was in for an incessant rattle in the area of the driver's side seat belt adjuster - right in my left just before my first week of driving the back roads around Bishop, CA and Minden/Tahoe, NV. Really stupid dealer service goof - nobody that knew the issue test drove the truck after they replaced the part they suspected rattled. That's not the real problem but it may be an example of what I may have to deal with.

I have filled my truck now only 6 times. Each time it took about 16 gallons and I logged about 250 to 275 a tank. I aparrently wasn't paying attention. Well the last tank went to just the end of the fuel gauge scale and it was on the light for a while. I filled up and it took only a little over 16 gallons. It hit me that no car just gets 275 miles a tank these day so looked at the manual and it says that it takes 21.1 gallons. That left approx. 5 gallons to go! Now at 15 miles a gllon that's 75 and up to 100 miles is possible - on empty!

The shop said that it was normal and that 3 gallons were to remain in reserve. It was 5 gallons left i said - what happened to the other 2? Don't they know math?

So is this normal? Do you all have to fill up at 16 gallons?

I would like to be able to take this to the dealer so if any of you can state what you feel is going on in terms the dealer (and Toyota) can work with it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Chum
Old 09-15-2011, 10:56 PM   #2
Bought Tacoma & signed up here as fast as I could!
BRYLONATOR is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRYLONATOR is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRYLONATOR is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRYLONATOR is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRYLONATOR is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRYLONATOR is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRYLONATOR is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRYLONATOR is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRYLONATOR is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRYLONATOR is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRYLONATOR is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: El Conquistador
BRYLONATOR's Tacoma Gallery
I actually am always dumping in around 18 gallons per fill up. I drive a while with the light on and then hit the pumps. If I use 91 octane...I can get about 325 miles.
Old 09-15-2011, 11:01 PM   #3
WATacoRider is a jewel in the roughWATacoRider is a jewel in the roughWATacoRider is a jewel in the roughWATacoRider is a jewel in the rough
WATacoRider's Tacoma Gallery
The light is suppose to come on when you have 3 gallon left, in a perfect world.

If you're on a slight incline or decline, it will skew the float and the light may come and go. Your truck may not be 100% level in the first place which may through the reading just slightly off.

I've had my light come on and fillup with only 16.XXX gallons. Once in a while, I may fit 17 gallons.

Also, for the fuel tank rating. That's questionable too. Your tank may theoreticallyhold 21 gallons. But in use, maybe only 19.5 gallons of fuel will fit in it due to the dimensions or whatever.

Either way, it's not a problem. Don't sweat it.
Old 09-15-2011, 11:04 PM   #4
S.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
S.B.'s Tacoma Gallery
If I drive 100% free-way I have at least 4 gallons when the light comes on. In city/ mixed it is 3 gallons left when light comes on.
Old 09-16-2011, 09:46 AM   #5
textoy is on a distinguished road
Name: Fred
textoy's Tacoma Gallery
there is a thread around somewhere that shows a breakdown of what you have left at the marked increments. It is pretty accurate. At 1/4 tank you have lots of miles left.
Old 09-16-2011, 10:04 AM   #6
ericb is one of the sharper tools in the shedericb is one of the sharper tools in the shedericb is one of the sharper tools in the shedericb is one of the sharper tools in the shedericb is one of the sharper tools in the shedericb is one of the sharper tools in the shedericb is one of the sharper tools in the shedericb is one of the sharper tools in the shedericb is one of the sharper tools in the shedericb is one of the sharper tools in the shedericb is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Rotorhead
Name: Inigo Montoya
ericb's Tacoma Gallery
Here you go:

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...-1-4-line.html
Old 09-16-2011, 10:20 AM   #7
Longtime Toyman
4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: DDG 996
Name: Randy
4Wheelin4Banger's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chumley View Post
So is this normal? Do you all have to fill up at 16 gallons?
Normal, not a problem. Would you rather be supprised when it ran out of gas? Mine does it at around 17 to 17.5 gal used.
Old 09-16-2011, 10:22 AM   #8
&erson will become famous soon enough&erson will become famous soon enough
&erson's Tacoma Gallery
i glance at my odometer when the light comes on, and note that i have 3-4 gallons left to go
usually refill in next 50 or so miles
Old 09-16-2011, 10:55 AM   #9
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
When I fill up it typically takes 15 - 16 gallons and the light has yet to come on in my truck.
Old 09-16-2011, 05:17 PM   #10
jpmorrisvb is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpmorrisvb is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpmorrisvb is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpmorrisvb is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpmorrisvb is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpmorrisvb is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpmorrisvb is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpmorrisvb is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpmorrisvb is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpmorrisvb is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpmorrisvb is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: NDT/QA
Name: Jimmy
jpmorrisvb's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by WATacoRider View Post
Also, for the fuel tank rating. That's questionable too. Your tank may theoretically hold 21 gallons. But in use, maybe only 19.5 gallons of fuel will fit in it due to the dimensions or whatever.
You have got to explain this one to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Wheelin4Banger View Post
Normal, not a problem. Would you rather be supprised when it ran out of gas? Mine does it at around 17 to 17.5 gal used.
I constantly put in 17.5 gallons as the light comes on.

To the OP .... for a while I experienced a similar rattle at my left shoulder. I had forgotten about it until I read your post. Now that I think about it I haven't heard that (knock on wood) for some time. With the cooler weather returning we'll see.
Old 09-16-2011, 05:40 PM   #11
saugus is on a distinguished road
saugus's Tacoma Gallery
My corolla light comes on at about 8.5-9 gallons down. At 10 down it is off the chart. It supposedly holds 13 gallons but the most I have ever pumped is around 10.5.
Old 09-16-2011, 07:30 PM   #12
David K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shed

David K's Tacoma Gallery
Gee folks... it ain't rocket science!

Some TWers have been recording how many gallons to fill a tank when they get gas at various gauge levels...

The 21 gallon tank has (+/- 0.5 gallon):

16 gallons at the 3/4 full gauge line (down 5 gallons)
12 gallons at the 1/2 full gauge line (down 9)
8 gallons at the 1/4 tank line. (down 13)
4 gallons at the E-LIGHT (down 17)
3 gallons at the E LINE (down 18)

E line to empty tank is 3 gallons ('reserve')