1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Anyone use Maaco for a repaint on a topper?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by crashnrondo, Sep 16, 2011.

1. Sep 16, 2011 at 7:42 AM
    crashnrondo

crashnrondo [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2021 DCSB Limited
    I'm just wondering if anyone has any good or bad experiences with them. I want to finally get my cap painted to match, a few local paint shops want $500+ and Maaco will do it for $200.
    Thanks,
    Ron

2. Sep 16, 2011 at 7:45 AM
    paintdiddy

paintdiddy Machine gun shits

Member:
    First Name:
    shithead
    nj and not from "the jersey shore"
    Vehicle:
    silver bullet
    You get what you pay for.they will use the cheapest paint and not buff it out for that price.if it was an old truck I say go for it,but since it's new,do it right

3. Sep 16, 2011 at 9:52 AM
    plurpimpin

plurpimpin Well-Known Member

Member:
    PDX
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD Off Road 4x4
    I have friends who have had good results with maaco on their cars by doing their own prep work. Anyone can spray paint, the prep is the time consuming expensive part you're paying for with a higher quality paint job. I would just do the prep myself and have them spray it. It's only a topper anyway, not like they're doing the whole truck.

4. Sep 16, 2011 at 10:13 AM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    The prep is a huge part of it but the quality of the paint, how many coats of color and clear you use, wet sanding between early coats, etc. plays a role also. All that being said, for color matching a used shell, I'd consider using Maaco. After all, it's a shell, all those other steps are for show cars.

5. Sep 16, 2011 at 6:06 PM
    joes06tacoma

joes06tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Central Coast, CA
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 Off Road Access Cab v6 6spd
    LEER Shell with dome lights operated with 3 way switches, aux backup lights with relay and 3 position switch, modified wiring to compass/temp display and clock to include switch that disables dimming function (poor man's DRL solution), Scan Gauge 2
    I've seen a few Maaco repaints on entire vehicles. One of them turned out kinda crappy with a lot of sanding debris stuck in the paint. The other three I can recall actually looked very good. The paint they use will be cheap, but they will upgrade to better quality paint if you ask for it and pay extra.

I would be okay with using them. I know they will tell you upfront that there may be a run here and there or some dirt in the paint, but the only one I saw that was objectionable was just plain sloppy, the others were fine. I would tell them upfront that you want to pay extra for the higher quality paint and that you won't accept "just plain sloppy" from them and I think you will be okay.

For what it's worth, I have seen two of the Maaco jobs five years after the fact, and the one with the cheap paint is fading out pretty bad. The one that the owner paid extra for the better paint is holding up fine.

6. Sep 16, 2011 at 11:09 PM
    Tacomanato

Tacomanato Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rey
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma 4x4
    6" Fabtech lift, 31" Kumho Tires, DTRL Mod, BHL Mod, PlastiDip Hood Scoop, USA SPEC PA15-TOY
    just go to Tj and get that done super cheap!

7. Sep 17, 2011 at 11:36 AM
    Goober

Goober Earthlings are fun to watch!

Member:
    Utah - Why just have only one?
    Vehicle:
    '11 TRD Off-Planet AccessCab
    x2, get what you pay for.

Products Discussed in

To Top