Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

can you splice in a second horn? + i need a wiring schematic

Old 09-18-2011, 01:42 PM   #1
Very Nice !
packfan88 has much to be proud ofpackfan88 has much to be proud ofpackfan88 has much to be proud ofpackfan88 has much to be proud ofpackfan88 has much to be proud ofpackfan88 has much to be proud ofpackfan88 has much to be proud ofpackfan88 has much to be proud ofpackfan88 has much to be proud of

packfan88's Tacoma Gallery
can you splice in a second horn? + i need a wiring schematic

I was at harbor freight and picked up a dual tone (high and low) set or regular ole horns for $10. I was wondering if you can connect them in series to the existing horns for a "double the loudness" horn sound.

I wouldnt want to wire them up seperatly cause it would require hittign two buttons for the horn. Either that or I would have to do some in cab rewiring to get them both to function off the stering wheel. I would prefer to do the wiring thats needed ath the location of the horns if possible.

Any info?

On a side note, where can i get a schematic of the fuse box to find an available power wire for another device I am hooking up. I need to find a wire that will power a device that only works when the vehicle is on, but I will have a toggle switch to it so it only comes on whe nthe car is on AND when i flip the toggle switch. Anyone have the location for that wire?
Old 09-18-2011, 01:45 PM   #2
topgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Zack
topgun155's Tacoma Gallery
My guess is that you could splice into the existing horn wire and be fine. But the best way to do it would be to add a relay that is activated by the existing horns. Shouldn't be that hard. Sorry I don't have any wiring diagrams for ya.
Old 09-18-2011, 01:47 PM   #3
sees what you did there.
KPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
I'm not sure how much louder it's going to make it....just thinking through this in my head, if you have one speaker playing at a certain volume and you put another one next to it at the exact same volume, is it really "louder"?
Old 09-18-2011, 02:09 PM   #4
sees what you did there.
KPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmcqueen280 View Post
is 1000000 people snapping their fingers louder than one? yes.
Hmm I would think that's only because each snap is going to have a different, unique sound to it, therefore a different wavelength and frequency, leading to positive interference of the sounds waves. I'm not sure the same could be said for two identical tones.

Example, a speaker makes a certain sound decibel level if you set the radio to, say, a volume of 5.

So all the speakers are playing at a volume of 5. If one of your 4 speakers dies, are the others still not playing at a volume of 5 producing the same deicbel level?
Old 09-18-2011, 02:12 PM   #5
sees what you did there.

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Another example two outlets producing the exact same sound would be: is dual exhaust any louder than single exhaust because there are two pipes producing the sound instead of one?
Old 09-18-2011, 02:38 PM   #6
sees what you did there.

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmcqueen280 View Post
well kpt i definitely agree with you first reply but your exhaust analogy is flawed imo: the exhaust pipes dont produce the sound, just channel the same sound from the engine. the horns each produce their own sound. and if your speaker analogy is correct, then this would make his car louder b/c they arent the same horn (but not too impressively loud i would assume) POP A TRAIN HORN IN THERE IF YOU WANT NOISE
Ah, you are right about them not being the same horn. I didn't take that into consideration.
Old 09-18-2011, 02:55 PM   #7
topgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

topgun155's Tacoma Gallery
It should make a difference. 50,000 people yelling in a stadium can be heard miles away while just one person would never be heard. I say go for it OP if anything the sound will travel farther.
Old 09-18-2011, 03:02 PM   #8
'Stralia! Riding Roo's and wrangling koalas
Redfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Conner
Redfox1's Tacoma Gallery
This might help you http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/aud...use-panel.html

if you want to use the auxiliary fuse box that is
Old 09-18-2011, 03:13 PM   #9
joes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Joe
joes06tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
You can splice into the existing horn wiring, but it may blow the fuse. I have done it on another vehicle. Worked a couple of times, then blew the fuse. I rewired it with a relay after that. Horns actually pull a little bit of current.
Old 09-18-2011, 04:12 PM   #10
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery
A second horn (or third in this case) will not "double the sound". You might see a 3 Db increase under the best conditions. To double the perceived loudness, which would be roughly a 10 Db increase, you would need ten times the power out put.
Old 09-18-2011, 04:39 PM   #11
Wishin' I was Fishin'
landphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shed

landphil's Tacoma Gallery
I did this on my Corolla with two lo tone and one hi tone horns from older volkswagens, they sound much better and deeper than the original. They're are also noticably louder, but not anywhere close to double or triple. I removed the OEM horn in my case and used the original wire to control a relay that feeds the "new" horns.

I have a nice, deep trumpet air horn for the Taco when I eventually get air rigged up.
Old 09-18-2011, 04:46 PM   #12
JTacoma will become famous soon enough

JTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
I cut the power to the factory horns and ran it to a two way switch. Then The wires from the horns to the switch. I can switch between the horns I want and it was a very simple install.
Old 09-18-2011, 04:52 PM   #13
Built Ford Tough.
Fisheez is a jewel in the roughFisheez is a jewel in the roughFisheez is a jewel in the roughFisheez is a jewel in the rough

Fisheez's Tacoma Gallery
just disconnect the stock horns and install the new ones using those wires. If the new horns are louder than the stock, no reason to keep em in.

If your going for a nice loud sound go with the Hella Supertones, heard nothing but good with those.

If your going for "waking the dead" loud, get a compressor, tank, and some airchimes, that'll get peoples attention.
Old 09-18-2011, 05:19 PM   #14
Very Nice !
packfan88 has much to be proud ofpackfan88 has much to be proud ofpackfan88 has much to be proud ofpackfan88 has much to be proud ofpackfan88 has much to be proud ofpackfan88 has much to be proud ofpackfan88 has much to be proud ofpackfan88 has much to be proud ofpackfan88 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPT View Post
Hmm I would think that's only because each snap is going to have a different, unique sound to it, therefore a different wavelength and frequency, leading to positive interference of the sounds waves. I'm not sure the same could be said for two identical tones.

Example, a speaker makes a certain sound decibel level if you set the radio to, say, a volume of 5.

So all the speakers are playing at a volume of 5. If one of your 4 speakers dies, are the others still not playing at a volume of 5 producing the same deicbel level?

i have different horns
Old 09-18-2011, 05:23 PM   #15
Very Nice !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisheez View Post
just disconnect the stock horns and install the new ones using those wires. If the new horns are louder than the stock, no reason to keep em in.

If your going for a nice loud sound go with the Hella Supertones, heard nothing but good with those.

If your going for "waking the dead" loud, get a compressor, tank, and some airchimes, that'll get peoples attention.
i clicked on a few videos of those "Hella Supertones" ....maybe its me, but I dont like the way they sound.
Old 09-18-2011, 05:26 PM   #16
Built Ford Tough.
Fisheez is a jewel in the roughFisheez is a jewel in the roughFisheez is a jewel in the roughFisheez is a jewel in the rough

Fisheez's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by packfan88 View Post
i clicked on a few videos of those "Hella Supertones" ....maybe its me, but I dont like the way they sound.
Are these new horns louder than stock?
Old 09-18-2011, 05:28 PM   #17
sees what you did there.

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisheez View Post
Are these new horns louder than stock?
Supertones 118 db
Old 09-18-2011, 05:29 PM   #18
Resident Jackass
Krazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: EMT - Alberta Health Services - Olds
Name: Power Serge
Krazie Sj's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 98tacoma27 View Post
A second horn (or third in this case) will not "double the sound". You might see a 3 Db increase under the best conditions. To double the perceived loudness, which would be roughly a 10 Db increase, you would need ten times the power out put.
What the hell? Who said you can post intelligent articulate things? This is crap? Help Help! Hacked Account! Ben's MIA!
Old 09-18-2011, 05:30 PM   #19
Sometimes when I close my eyes, I can't see.
Toyota Tech31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Tech31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Tech31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Tech31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Tech31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Tech31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Tech31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Tech31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Tech31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Tech31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Tech31 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jason
Toyota Tech31's Tacoma Gallery
I installed a extra set of horns in almost the same location of the factory ones, just on the passenger side, the mounting bracket works as the ground, and i jumped power straight off the factory horn wire. I did have to increase fuse size due to the extra draw from the new horns, kept blowing the factory size. But i havent had any problems since, most ppl tend to jump back a hair when i blow them if they are in front of my truck.
Old 09-18-2011, 05:31 PM   #20
Built Ford Tough.

Fisheez's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by KPT View Post
Supertones 118 db
Yea that's better than stock..

i think these are the ones he's talking about;

Claims they are 135dB's.. hmm