1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Factory oil cooler no external finned cooler??

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by lj973gm, Sep 18, 2011.

1. Sep 18, 2011 at 6:59 PM
    lj973gm

lj973gm [OP] Sold it, dont miss it yet.

Member:
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    06 DCSB 4wd
    Looking at the pictures of the factory oil cooler setup it uses a sandwich adapter and then the inlet and outlet enter the t-stat housing.

There is no external cooler.

So does this mean they designed this cooler to work by running the fluid through the housing which is being cooled by the engine coolant that just passed though the radiator. Obviously the different coolants do not come in contact but the oil heat is bleeding off into the housing and effectively cooling the oil.

I just picked up a DCSB 4.0 4x4 auto recently and might tow a boat for my father in the near future so I will be adding a trans cooler, have done a number of these in the past no biggie.

Just thrown a curve by the oil cooler setup not have an external finned cooler which is the conventional setup.

I plan to buy a aftermarket sandwich adapter for $35 and then the factory t-stat housing with the correct oil inlets and outlets for $70 and connect them up or run an external finned cooler since I have a stack of them sitting around. This is the same as the stock setup essentially for far less than the 500-800 factory kit.

Am I missing something as to why other are not doing this????

Any info is appreciated.

2. Sep 26, 2011 at 10:28 AM
    lj973gm

Member:
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    06 DCSB 4wd
    No one has gone this route?

3. Sep 26, 2011 at 11:45 AM
    maineah

maineah Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    4X4 SR5 V6 6spd
    Super simple no external oil pipes to leak or blow out and they work fine. Our cop cars have external oil coolers and they all leak at some point and some times the flexible lines blow out.

4. Sep 26, 2011 at 12:51 PM
    lj973gm

Member:
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    06 DCSB 4wd
    Thanks for confirming it uses the stat/neck assembly to cool the oil.

The factory oil cooler setup does you flex/rubber lines they are just shorter than stock. The big difference is how the cool the oil, I am ok with it since it is simple and does not require me to add it up front.

I guess I am asking why are people trying to buy the stock unit for such a high price and not use basically the same item which is a sandwich adapter to get the job done.

5. Sep 27, 2011 at 1:51 PM
    maineah

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    4X4 SR5 V6 6spd
    The rubber lines are only coolant no oil. The coolant lines are return lines the coolant at that point is cooler then the engine hot goes in the top and cool comes out the bottom. The coolers come stock with a tow package I guess one could buy all the parts from Toyota my guess is they are fairly expensive.

6. Sep 27, 2011 at 2:44 PM
    lj973gm

Member:
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    06 DCSB 4wd
    maineah

Thanks for stating the rubber lines are coolant. So this is the reason that a sandwich cooler will not work. So it looks like to use a traditional sandwich adapter you will have to use and external cooler.

Oh well better than spending $500 on the toyota cooler.

7. Sep 27, 2011 at 5:01 PM
    maineah

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    4X4 SR5 V6 6spd
    I'm not sure what you mean with a sandwich cooler they are water to oil heat exchangers the exchanger is in the base under the filter so I guess an aftermarket one would just be a base with an external cooler that would allow the oil to flow through the cooler and back. I did have a look on line and found no aftermarket engine oil coolers just trans coolers for the Tacoma’s. GM had some type of filter base with flexible lines to an oil cooler and I believe they were quite problematic. VW uses the same type of oil cooler on their cars as Toyota does it's also under the filter.

Products Discussed in

To Top