Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Factory oil cooler no external finned cooler??

Old 09-18-2011, 06:59 PM   #1
Rust Framed Tacoma :)
lj973gm is one of the sharper tools in the shedlj973gm is one of the sharper tools in the shedlj973gm is one of the sharper tools in the shedlj973gm is one of the sharper tools in the shedlj973gm is one of the sharper tools in the shedlj973gm is one of the sharper tools in the shedlj973gm is one of the sharper tools in the shedlj973gm is one of the sharper tools in the shedlj973gm is one of the sharper tools in the shedlj973gm is one of the sharper tools in the shedlj973gm is one of the sharper tools in the shed

lj973gm's Tacoma Gallery
Factory oil cooler no external finned cooler??

Looking at the pictures of the factory oil cooler setup it uses a sandwich adapter and then the inlet and outlet enter the t-stat housing.

There is no external cooler.

So does this mean they designed this cooler to work by running the fluid through the housing which is being cooled by the engine coolant that just passed though the radiator. Obviously the different coolants do not come in contact but the oil heat is bleeding off into the housing and effectively cooling the oil.

I just picked up a DCSB 4.0 4x4 auto recently and might tow a boat for my father in the near future so I will be adding a trans cooler, have done a number of these in the past no biggie.

Just thrown a curve by the oil cooler setup not have an external finned cooler which is the conventional setup.

I plan to buy a aftermarket sandwich adapter for $35 and then the factory t-stat housing with the correct oil inlets and outlets for $70 and connect them up or run an external finned cooler since I have a stack of them sitting around. This is the same as the stock setup essentially for far less than the 500-800 factory kit.

Am I missing something as to why other are not doing this????

Any info is appreciated.
Old 09-26-2011, 10:28 AM   #2
lj973gm is one of the sharper tools in the shedlj973gm is one of the sharper tools in the shedlj973gm is one of the sharper tools in the shedlj973gm is one of the sharper tools in the shedlj973gm is one of the sharper tools in the shedlj973gm is one of the sharper tools in the shedlj973gm is one of the sharper tools in the shedlj973gm is one of the sharper tools in the shedlj973gm is one of the sharper tools in the shedlj973gm is one of the sharper tools in the shedlj973gm is one of the sharper tools in the shed

lj973gm's Tacoma Gallery
No one has gone this route?
Old 09-26-2011, 10:33 AM   #3
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
I don't think anyone on here is sure why Toyota did it that way. It does work though since the oil temp is higher than the coolant temp. An external oil cooler will work but don't make the oil lines too long as that might effect oil pressure. I see no reason of going further than what comes stock since the engine is not turbocharged.
Old 09-26-2011, 11:45 AM   #4
maineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Law Enforcement:
Name: Tim
maineah's Tacoma Gallery
Super simple no external oil pipes to leak or blow out and they work fine. Our cop cars have external oil coolers and they all leak at some point and some times the flexible lines blow out.
Old 09-26-2011, 12:51 PM   #5

lj973gm's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for confirming it uses the stat/neck assembly to cool the oil.

The factory oil cooler setup does you flex/rubber lines they are just shorter than stock. The big difference is how the cool the oil, I am ok with it since it is simple and does not require me to add it up front.

I guess I am asking why are people trying to buy the stock unit for such a high price and not use basically the same item which is a sandwich adapter to get the job done.
Old 09-27-2011, 01:51 PM   #6
maineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Law Enforcement:
maineah's Tacoma Gallery
The rubber lines are only coolant no oil. The coolant lines are return lines the coolant at that point is cooler then the engine hot goes in the top and cool comes out the bottom. The coolers come stock with a tow package I guess one could buy all the parts from Toyota my guess is they are fairly expensive.
Old 09-27-2011, 02:44 PM   #7

lj973gm's Tacoma Gallery
maineah

Thanks for stating the rubber lines are coolant. So this is the reason that a sandwich cooler will not work. So it looks like to use a traditional sandwich adapter you will have to use and external cooler.

Oh well better than spending $500 on the toyota cooler.
Old 09-27-2011, 05:01 PM   #8
Law Enforcement:
maineah's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by lj973gm View Post
maineah

Thanks for stating the rubber lines are coolant. So this is the reason that a sandwich cooler will not work. So it looks like to use a traditional sandwich adapter you will have to use and external cooler. t

Oh well better than spending $500 on the toyota cooler.
I'm not sure what you mean with a sandwich cooler they are water to oil heat exchangers the exchanger is in the base under the filter so I guess an aftermarket one would just be a base with an external cooler that would allow the oil to flow through the cooler and back. I did have a look on line and found no aftermarket engine oil coolers just trans coolers for the Tacoma’s. GM had some type of filter base with flexible lines to an oil cooler and I believe they were quite problematic. VW uses the same type of oil cooler on their cars as Toyota does it's also under the filter.