Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

What is the best functional 2-3" lift for a Double Cab Longbed?

Old 09-19-2011, 11:45 PM   #1
TheBlueTacoma is on a distinguished road
Name: Devlin
TheBlueTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
What is the best functional 2-3" lift for a Double Cab Longbed?

hello,
This has probably been answered before but I was unable to find an adequate thread in the searches, so here it goes:
I have a 2006 4x4 Double Cab Longbed and am interested in getting a lift-mostly because my frame catches when I go down steep grades, but also a differential/axle clearance increase would be nice. I am not planning to do anything too extreme, but being able to go on moderate offroad trails without bottoming out on steeper drops would be nice. What are the best options out there and what are some of the cheaper but functional options to look at? I am a complete noob to lifts so any in-depth advice and explanations would be helpful.
thanks-
Old 09-19-2011, 11:48 PM   #2
Street glide or die
yotamikez is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotamikez is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotamikez is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotamikez is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotamikez is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotamikez is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotamikez is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotamikez is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotamikez is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotamikez is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotamikez is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
yotamikez's Tacoma Gallery
Best bang for the buck is the OME you can get the full kit for 1k shipped from DSM.
Old 09-19-2011, 11:48 PM   #3
I've done... questionable things.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
I went full OME kit with the Dakars on my DCLB 4x4

Old 09-20-2011, 01:46 AM   #4
I miss my Taco
Zombie is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Zombie's Tacoma Gallery
Bilstein 5100 shocks, Eibach front springs, and All-Pro's AAL's in the rear. Get around 3 inches of lift and great ride.
Old 09-20-2011, 01:49 AM   #5
Street glide or die
yotamikez is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotamikez is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotamikez is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotamikez is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotamikez is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotamikez is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotamikez is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotamikez is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotamikez is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotamikez is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotamikez is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie View Post
Bilstein 5100 shocks, Eibach front springs, and All-Pro's AAL's in the rear. Get around 3 inches of lift and great ride.
How much.
Old 09-20-2011, 02:14 AM   #6
hecty is on a distinguished road
hecty's Tacoma Gallery
in for a price as well
Old 09-20-2011, 02:26 AM   #7
Street glide or die

Quote:
Originally Posted by hecty View Post
in for a price as well
Going from his list
bilstiens are $300
eibach springs $150
+allpro aal $150
= $600
Old 09-20-2011, 02:58 AM   #8
cms is on a distinguished road
cms's Tacoma Gallery
I'm very interested in this thread too. I have a 2011 DCLB 4x4 and would like around a 2" lift. I don't want the ride to suffer though.

Going from his list:
Bilstiens-$300 Just plain 5100's?
eibach springs $150
+allpro aal $150
= $600 Total
Old 09-20-2011, 03:02 AM   #9
Street glide or die

Quote:
Originally Posted by cms View Post
I'm very interested in this thread too. I have a 2011 DCLB 4x4 and would like around a 2" lift. I don't want the ride to suffer though.

Going from his list:
Bilstiens-$300 Just plain 5100's?
eibach springs $150
+allpro aal $150
= $600 Total
Yes $300 for 5100's from DSM the eibachs are from a site I found online using google and all pro is befor shipping so $600 isnt the true otd total.
Old 09-20-2011, 04:02 AM   #10
jmayday23 will become famous soon enough
Name: Joel
jmayday23's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
I went full OME kit with the Dakars on my DCLB 4x4

Oz- are you using the top plate spacers? I put them on mine but it has a slight rake front to back, thinking about taking them off. Your's looks nice and even, of course, I went with an AAL not the Dakars so maybe that makes a difference too.

OP- I went with the full OME kit (885's) with a toytec AAL and I love the ride. Good feel on road and capable off-road.
Old 09-20-2011, 04:43 AM   #11
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by yotamikez View Post
Yes $300 for 5100's from DSM the eibachs are from a site I found online using google and all pro is befor shipping so $600 isnt the true otd total.
Get the 5100's from Downsouth Motorsports, Eibach springs can be purchased from Toytec (TW members have a discount there, visit the vendor section) and you're nuts to spend $150 on a single leaf AAL, check out Wheelers Off Road or Toytec for cheaper AALs. If you want a great ride, Wheelers and Icon both make a 3 leaf AAL that rides great. You can buy the 3-leaf Icon AAL through Downsouth Motorsports.

Both the Bilstein/Eibach set-up and the OME set up are good options. Bilstein/Eibach can provide either 1.6 or 2.5" of lift depending on the 5100 setting. OME kits are adjustable based on the coil you order (884, 885 or 886) but the strut can not be adjusted so make sure you get the coils you want.
Old 09-20-2011, 04:47 AM   #12
Street glide or die

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
Get the 5100's from Downsouth Motorsports, Eibach springs can be purchased from Toytec (TW members have a discount there, visit the vendor section) and you're nuts to spend $150 on a single leaf AAL, check out Wheelers Off Road or Toytec for cheaper AALs. If you want a great ride, Wheelers and Icon both make a 3 leaf AAL that rides great. You can buy the 3-leaf Icon AAL through Downsouth Motorsports.

Both the Bilstein/Eibach set-up and the OME set up are good options. Bilstein/Eibach can provide either 1.6 or 2.5" of lift depending on the 5100 setting. OME kits are adjustable based on the coil you order (884, 885 or 886) but the strut can not be adjusted so make sure you get the coils you want.
I just did a basic search. My work doesn't allow me to go to toyteclifts.com ... idk why and the aal I was just going with what the guy above said. I would rather get the progressive aal. Either way this sounds like a pretty decent set up.
Old 09-20-2011, 07:33 AM   #13
I've done... questionable things.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmayday23 View Post
Oz- are you using the top plate spacers? I put them on mine but it has a slight rake front to back, thinking about taking them off. Your's looks nice and even, of course, I went with an AAL not the Dakars so maybe that makes a difference too.

OP- I went with the full OME kit (885's) with a toytec AAL and I love the ride. Good feel on road and capable off-road.
No spacers
Old 09-20-2011, 08:26 AM   #14
Don't ask questions you don't want the answer to..
chadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shed

chadderkdawg's Tacoma Gallery
Get yourself familiar with the sites vendors, Toyteclifts.com and Down South are very popular around here. BTW if you are wanting to get your FRAME up off the ground you will need larger tires to do so. A lot of people around here go for 33 inch tires, guys with 6 inch lifts or more can sometimes stuff 35 inchers in their wheelwells. Happy modding
Old 09-20-2011, 09:11 AM   #15
Mr. Midlife Crisis
TacoAlaMode is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoAlaMode is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoAlaMode is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoAlaMode is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoAlaMode is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoAlaMode is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoAlaMode is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoAlaMode is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoAlaMode is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoAlaMode is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoAlaMode is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brian
TacoAlaMode's Tacoma Gallery

I put Icon Coilovers on mine with the TSB. Set them at 2 inches and the truck leveled nice. The ride is great. At 2 inches, you can still use the factory UCA. Adjustable to 3.5". Don't get the extended travel unless you plan to replace the UCA. Icons are a bit pricey, but well worth it for me.
Old 09-20-2011, 09:23 AM   #16
Armsmaster is a glorious beacon of lightArmsmaster is a glorious beacon of lightArmsmaster is a glorious beacon of lightArmsmaster is a glorious beacon of lightArmsmaster is a glorious beacon of light

Law Enforcement: Firearms Instructor
Name: Bill
Armsmaster's Tacoma Gallery
I'LL POST MY PIC'S TONIGHT TO SHOW U MINE.
Old 09-20-2011, 01:44 PM   #17
fvtalon is a jewel in the roughfvtalon is a jewel in the roughfvtalon is a jewel in the roughfvtalon is a jewel in the rough

fvtalon's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chadderkdawg View Post
BTW if you are wanting to get your FRAME up off the ground you will need larger tires to do so. A lot of people around here go for 33 inch tires, guys with 6 inch lifts or more can sometimes stuff 35 inchers in their wheelwells. Happy modding
I'd clarify that a little. Any suspension lift will get the frame, front diff, transfercase, transmission, exhaust, fuel tank and rocker panels/bed sides higher. If you want to get more clearance under the front lower arms and under the rear axle and differential you need bigger tires. Of course bigger tires will also help get everything up higher at the same time.

Whatever you upsize the tires by you will get half that in extra lift. So say you go to a 33" from the stock 31", difference of 2" = a lift of 1". So add a 3" suspension lift and you have 4" total over stock.

So what's the benefit of a 5100/eibach or 5100 OME versus just the 5100/stock spring set at 2.5"? Lift is about the same so is it just the ride quality? Or does alignment get any better too?
Old 09-21-2011, 01:33 AM   #18
TheBlueTacoma is on a distinguished road
Name: Devlin
TheBlueTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
IF I go with the 5100/eibach or 5100 OME (which looks great) will have have to do any other mods to my car? i.e. regearing or anything?
Old 09-21-2011, 02:37 AM   #19
Street glide or die

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBlueTacoma View Post
IF I go with the 5100/eibach or 5100 OME (which looks great) will have have to do any other mods to my car? i.e. regearing or anything?
Truck.... and no. You only regear with bigger tires 35"s and so on.
Old 09-21-2011, 03:56 AM   #20
Write your love, Then your anger.
ToyComa92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyComa92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyComa92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyComa92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyComa92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyComa92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyComa92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyComa92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyComa92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyComa92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyComa92 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jon
ToyComa92's Tacoma Gallery
The OME kit i can vouch for, At least the quality anyways, I had a 2" lift on my Land Rover and loved it! I got the 886 HD springs, Let me tell you if you dont put the bumper and winch on, Its a rough ride. haha Im looking for the same thing and i think im going to go with a full 3" OME lift.