1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Clunking Noise Question... Maybe Brakes?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by jabrackin, Sep 20, 2011.

1. Sep 20, 2011 at 10:20 PM
    jabrackin

jabrackin [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Knoxville, TN
    Vehicle:
    2008 TRD OffRoad
    I have noticed over the last serval months that when I start my truck and back up that i hera a clunking noise... and then when i put it back into drive... it makes the same noise..... I asked the dealership about this and they said it was normal because of the brake pads setting..... I don't know... i have a hard time trusting what they say sometimes because they told me there was nothing that can be done about the chirping noise from the blower motor and it was just a flaw in the making of the part. Any ideas about the clunking noise? Anyone else have that?

2. Sep 20, 2011 at 10:36 PM
    bocna

bocna Active Member

Member:
    nocal.
    Vehicle:
    2017 offroad
    2017 OR SB mgm fox 2.5 dsc front 2.o dsc rear , ome medium leafs ray10 brushed bronze on Nitto RG 285 70 17 Prinsu waterport bed divider pro grill yellow tint fogs Raptor lights Xtreme led 38"
    My truck did that for years, untill it was time to Change the brake pads, since then...no more clunks or clanks.

3. Sep 20, 2011 at 10:59 PM
    colinb17

colinb17 If at first you don't succeed, don't try skydiving

Member:
    First Name:
    Colin
    Charleston, SC
    Vehicle:
    '07 TRD Sport 4x4
    Build thread in sig...
    mine does the same thing. when i turn the wheel backng out of the driveway it clunks, and then again as i start to move forward and turn at the same time. i've heard the regular brake pad click noise when you change directtions, and this is not it.

checked the tie rods, and they are not the problem. not sure what to check next. i figured maybe it was skid plates moving against each other with frame flex, but there are no rub marks on them indicating so.

4. Sep 21, 2011 at 5:19 AM
    bayou_fennec

bayou_fennec blah blah blah

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Austin
    Vehicle:
    05' PreRunner
    Kenwood Head Unit, Bed Mat, Weather Tech Floor Mats, Nfab Wheel 2 Wheel Step Bars, LED Bed Lights
    mine made a 'clunk' only when backing out and turning the wheel at the same time. ended up being a loose lower control arm (LCA) bolt. tightened it and no more clunk.

Products Discussed in

To Top