Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Clunking Noise Question... Maybe Brakes?

Old 09-20-2011, 11:20 PM   #1
jabrackin is a glorious beacon of lightjabrackin is a glorious beacon of lightjabrackin is a glorious beacon of lightjabrackin is a glorious beacon of lightjabrackin is a glorious beacon of lightjabrackin is a glorious beacon of light

jabrackin's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to jabrackin
Clunking Noise Question... Maybe Brakes?

I have noticed over the last serval months that when I start my truck and back up that i hera a clunking noise... and then when i put it back into drive... it makes the same noise..... I asked the dealership about this and they said it was normal because of the brake pads setting..... I don't know... i have a hard time trusting what they say sometimes because they told me there was nothing that can be done about the chirping noise from the blower motor and it was just a flaw in the making of the part. Any ideas about the clunking noise? Anyone else have that?
Old 09-20-2011, 11:36 PM   #2
lifer
bocna is on a distinguished road
bocna's Tacoma Gallery
Clunk clank ?

My truck did that for years, untill it was time to Change the brake pads, since then...no more clunks or clanks.
Old 09-20-2011, 11:59 PM   #3
If at first you don't succeed, don't try skydiving
colinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Colin
colinb17's Tacoma Gallery
mine does the same thing. when i turn the wheel backng out of the driveway it clunks, and then again as i start to move forward and turn at the same time. i've heard the regular brake pad click noise when you change directtions, and this is not it.

checked the tie rods, and they are not the problem. not sure what to check next. i figured maybe it was skid plates moving against each other with frame flex, but there are no rub marks on them indicating so.
Old 09-21-2011, 06:19 AM   #4
blah blah blah
bayou_fennec is on a distinguished road

Name: John
bayou_fennec's Tacoma Gallery
mine made a 'clunk' only when backing out and turning the wheel at the same time. ended up being a loose lower control arm (LCA) bolt. tightened it and no more clunk.