Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Transmission leak? Pics*

Old 09-22-2011, 11:24 AM   #21
JasonJump is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasonJump is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasonJump is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasonJump is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasonJump is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasonJump is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasonJump is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasonJump is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasonJump is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasonJump is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasonJump is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jason
JasonJump's Tacoma Gallery
So general consensus, should I switch to a high mileage 5-20 oil, and put an additive in to seal up? Or would that be bad if it had nothing to do with the engine? Thanks for all the help
Old 09-22-2011, 11:34 AM   #22
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonJump View Post
Are you reffering to the DIY Auto tranny drain fill procedure with temp check on here?
Yes, that.

I see you did.
Old 09-22-2011, 11:37 AM   #23
JasonJump is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasonJump is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasonJump is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasonJump is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasonJump is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasonJump is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasonJump is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasonJump is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasonJump is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasonJump is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasonJump is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98tacoma27 View Post
Yes, that.

I see you did.
Yeah pretty easy fill
Old 09-22-2011, 11:51 AM   #24

Quote:
So general consensus, should I switch to a high mileage 5-20 oil, and put an additive in to seal up? Or would that be bad if it had nothing to do with the engine? Thanks for all the help
Bump
Old 09-22-2011, 11:53 AM   #25
Lets Do It!
wiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shed

wiscdave's Tacoma Gallery
have you determined what is leaking? Where are you low?
Old 09-22-2011, 11:56 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiscdave View Post
have you determined what is leaking? Where are you low?
Can't check level of tranny without a dipstick, and not low on engine oil, but its also not a bad leak. Just want to prevent it from getting worse...
Old 09-22-2011, 12:08 PM   #27
Wicked 2007 has much to be proud ofWicked 2007 has much to be proud ofWicked 2007 has much to be proud ofWicked 2007 has much to be proud ofWicked 2007 has much to be proud ofWicked 2007 has much to be proud ofWicked 2007 has much to be proud ofWicked 2007 has much to be proud ofWicked 2007 has much to be proud ofWicked 2007 has much to be proud of

Wicked 2007's Tacoma Gallery
looks more like some small seeping vs a leak - does fluid actually build up below it on the ground when you park?

Most likely the rear main - i would monitor until the leaking gets more severe than whats pictured unless you like pulling t-cases and transmissions.
Old 09-22-2011, 12:14 PM   #28
the logical one
fixer5000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfixer5000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfixer5000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfixer5000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfixer5000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfixer5000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfixer5000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfixer5000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfixer5000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfixer5000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfixer5000 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Steve
fixer5000's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueT View Post
You know you can drive with leaking rear main seal for like forever Just keep oil level topped and you are golden. Rear main seal is fun job and its even funnier when you indeed find out it was your valve cover leaking .

you must be a former jeep owner like myself lol they all leaked. id leave it alone unless it gets really bad and is making puddles on the driveway
Old 09-22-2011, 12:15 PM   #29
buddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force: 2nd Bomb Wing
buddywh1's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
120k, What is a weeping seal...
Just means it's a really small leak, not worth calling one but worth keeping an eye on during maintenance. Something that small in an engine with as many miles makes it a lot less likely to be a torn or damaged seal; it's just not as pliable as new.

You aren't throwing it under the bus or anything by using high-mileage oil! It's still got lots of life in it, the oil just helps seals 'seal'. I have 120K on my Maxima and I'm thinking the same thing... when I was groveling underneath I saw a similar weep from the tc area. But don't put an additive in, it's completely unecessary if you use a quality HM oil, whether petroleum or synthetic.

Oh, and that post about a timing chain cover leak running around to the back sounds like something to check out since the picture angle doesn't let you rule it out.
Old 09-22-2011, 12:24 PM   #30
84Hilux is one of the sharper tools in the shed84Hilux is one of the sharper tools in the shed84Hilux is one of the sharper tools in the shed84Hilux is one of the sharper tools in the shed84Hilux is one of the sharper tools in the shed84Hilux is one of the sharper tools in the shed84Hilux is one of the sharper tools in the shed84Hilux is one of the sharper tools in the shed84Hilux is one of the sharper tools in the shed84Hilux is one of the sharper tools in the shed84Hilux is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Gary
84Hilux's Tacoma Gallery
Pic of a leaking timing chain cover- usually leaks behind power steering pump. I had mine fixed under powertrain warranty- no charge.

Old 09-22-2011, 12:34 PM   #31
BlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BlueT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Ha thanks, 120k sounds about right for what seal? all of them probably
Crank and rear main seal are "designed" to last around 120K but their life depends on a person driving during that 120K miles. so one person can easily do 200K miles on those seals other person will have them fail at around 100K
Those seals are in engine so driving more on lower gears will make them fail faster more highway driving on higher gear and over the life of engine there are much less RPMS so seals last longer. Then you need to factor the quality of oil used.
Those seals are just pieces of rubber so at some point they will have to be replaced just like every O-ring, gasket and seal in the car.
Old 09-22-2011, 12:37 PM   #32
Sometimes when I close my eyes, I can't see.
Toyota Tech31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Tech31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Tech31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Tech31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Tech31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Tech31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Tech31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Tech31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Tech31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Tech31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Tech31 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Toyota Tech31's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 84Hilux View Post
Pic of a leaking timing chain cover- usually leaks behind power steering pump. I had mine fixed under powertrain warranty- no charge.

^^^this is where i would start, not by worrying about what weight oil i'm running, if you can't, most shops wouldnt charge to check for an oil leak.
Old 09-22-2011, 12:55 PM   #33

Thats all great information, I will get that checked out and also keep an eye on it since its not leaving drops in the garage. Thanks for all the advice guys
Old 09-22-2011, 01:12 PM   #34
saugus is on a distinguished road
saugus's Tacoma Gallery
Take a white clean rag to the leak and see if you can wipe a wet part. Inspect if it is ps, oil or trans.
Old 09-22-2011, 01:29 PM   #35
41 Year Toyota/Chrysler Tech/ASE Master
Tacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Tacoma Mike's Tacoma Gallery
you have 120k on this thing and your worried about that ???

Keep your eye on it for now. That could be like that for another 120K.

I wouldn't touch that right now.
Old 09-22-2011, 01:37 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by saugus View Post
Take a white clean rag to the leak and see if you can wipe a wet part. Inspect if it is ps, oil or trans.
Good Idea, will do

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacoma Mike View Post
you have 120k on this thing and your worried about that ???

Keep your eye on it for now. That could be like that for another 120K.

I wouldn't touch that right now.
Haha I know, but my truck is very clean engine wise, I know its not a huge deal just don't want it to turn into one. I hope it goes like that for another 120k!
Old 09-22-2011, 02:26 PM   #37
41 Year Toyota/Chrysler Tech/ASE Master
Tacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Tacoma Mike's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

Haha I know, but my truck is very clean engine wise, I know its not a huge deal just don't want it to turn into one. I hope it goes like that for another 120k!
I can understand. I see some with 180K that have looked like that for years.
Just check it once in a while and if you notice a BIG change then you know it's time.
Old 09-22-2011, 04:50 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacoma Mike View Post
I can understand. I see some with 180K that have looked like that for years.
Just check it once in a while and if you notice a BIG change then you know it's time.
Well that reassuring, thanks for the input bud
Old 09-22-2011, 04:52 PM   #39
04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Zach
04LTtacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 98tacoma27 View Post
IMHO, that looks more like the rear main seal of the motor.

*rotated pics*

x2
Old 12-29-2011, 08:02 PM   #40
DOUBLLD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDOUBLLD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDOUBLLD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDOUBLLD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDOUBLLD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDOUBLLD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDOUBLLD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDOUBLLD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDOUBLLD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDOUBLLD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDOUBLLD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Daniel
DOUBLLD's Tacoma Gallery
btw never put a additive to "stop a leak" that stuff is like putting sludge in your motor. Im a toyota tech that looks like a rear main. I know im late on the response