LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Transmission leak? Pics*

Old 09-22-2011, 09:53 AM   #1
JasonJump is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasonJump is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasonJump is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasonJump is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasonJump is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasonJump is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasonJump is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasonJump is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasonJump is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasonJump is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasonJump is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jason
JasonJump's Tacoma Gallery
Transmission leak? Pics*

Hey Guys I took the best pictures I could, looks like my transmission might be leaking.... wondering if this is the case? If so, is the seal a doable replacement myself? Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Transmission leak? Pics*-tranny1.jpg   Transmission leak? Pics*-tranny2.jpg  
Old 09-22-2011, 09:55 AM   #2
JasonJump is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasonJump is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasonJump is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasonJump is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasonJump is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasonJump is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasonJump is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasonJump is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasonJump is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasonJump is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasonJump is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BTW pictures uploaded sideways, sorry... tilt your head to the left
Old 09-22-2011, 09:56 AM   #3
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery
IMHO, that looks more like the rear main seal of the motor.

*rotated pics*
Attached Thumbnails
Transmission leak? Pics*-tranny1.jpg   Transmission leak? Pics*-tranny2.jpg  
Old 09-22-2011, 10:01 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98tacoma27 View Post
IMHO, that looks more like the rear main seal of the motor.

*rotated pics*
Really, I just assumed Tranny because it is right about the Transmission fluid pan.... so main seal of motor? Doesn't sound good as far as replacing?
Old 09-22-2011, 10:04 AM   #5
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
The rear main seal is actually easier to change than the tranny seal. However both require the tranny to be pulled.

It's really speculative because both a tranny seal and rear main seal leak would look like that. Now if you can tell whether or not the fluid is transmission or motor oil, then you'd know for sure.
Old 09-22-2011, 10:07 AM   #6

Quote:
The rear main seal is actually easier to change than the tranny seal. However both require the tranny to be pulled.

It's really speculative because both a tranny seal and rear main seal leak would look like that. Now if you can tell whether or not the fluid is transmission or motor oil, then you'd know for sure.
yeah it is tough because it's not leaking bad enough to see if it is red or not. SO either way Tranny has to be pulled, looks like I will have to take it in? Sounds expensive.... good times
Old 09-22-2011, 10:09 AM   #7

Ha guessing there are no DIY threads on Tranny or Engine seal replacement
Old 09-22-2011, 10:11 AM   #8

Marines:
You could just monitor your engine oil level. I know you can't really do that with the tranny (way to go yota for no f'ening dipstick).

They should smell different. Have you tried that?
Old 09-22-2011, 10:18 AM   #9
Sometimes when I close my eyes, I can't see.
Toyota Tech31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Tech31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Tech31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Tech31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Tech31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Tech31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Tech31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Tech31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Tech31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Tech31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Tech31 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Toyota Tech31's Tacoma Gallery
I have seen timing cover leaks so bad that when you drive down the road the oil follows the engine to the oil pan and to the area you see in your pics, i could be wrong, but it has fooled some techs in our shop before, also i would look at the valve covers while i am there.
Old 09-22-2011, 10:29 AM   #10

Quote:
You could just monitor your engine oil level. I know you can't really do that with the tranny (way to go yota for no f'ening dipstick).

They should smell different. Have you tried that?
I just recently did 2 drain fill transmission fluids. I change my own oil, I haven;t check the engine oil level lately, I'll check the dipstick. My truck has 120k, and Doubt it had ever had the tranny fluid changed before I did it. Hopefully adding new fluid didn't create the issue. But it could have been like this for a while but never under looking at that area until I did the Drain fill
Old 09-22-2011, 10:29 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyota Tech31 View Post
I have seen timing cover leaks so bad that when you drive down the road the oil follows the engine to the oil pan and to the area you see in your pics, i could be wrong, but it has fooled some techs in our shop before, also i would look at the valve covers while i am there.
I know a little not a ton, but when you say in there.... inside the engine? And check the valve covers in there? Sorry
Old 09-22-2011, 10:35 AM   #12
buddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force: 2nd Bomb Wing
buddywh1's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonJump View Post
... Sounds expensive.... good times
How many miles on it? It looks to be very minor as there's no bright fresh oil streaks or drips along the edge of the pan; mainly a weep that is has wicked out into accumulated road dust.

Putting it in a shop to pull tranny and put a seal in may cause a lot worse problems than a weeping seal. Especially if it's high miles I'd want to leave it be until it became a genuine leak. Even if low miles, it could go like that 100K miles or more, never weeping enough to show on a dipstick.

Wipe it off and keep check on it. Consider using a high-mileage engine oil (assuming it's crank seal) with additives that make seals swell a little bit and might even go away.
Old 09-22-2011, 10:36 AM   #13

Marines:
Quote:
I just recently did 2 drain fill transmission fluids. I change my own oil, I haven;t check the engine oil level lately, I'll check the dipstick. My truck has 120k, and Doubt it had ever had the tranny fluid changed before I did it. Hopefully adding new fluid didn't create the issue. But it could have been like this for a while but never under looking at that area until I did the Drain fill
Did you follow the procedure? How recently?
Quote:
I know a little not a ton, but when you say in there.... inside the engine? And check the valve covers in there? Sorry
He means inside the engine bay. Valve covers are on the top of the motor (one pass and one driver side). The timing chain cover is in the front of the motor.
Old 09-22-2011, 10:40 AM   #14

Quote:
Did you follow the procedure? How recently?

The Auto transmission flush thread procedure? yes

He means inside the engine bay. Valve covers are on the top of the motor (one pass and one driver side). The timing chain cover is in the front of the motor.
Okay Gotcha
Old 09-22-2011, 10:44 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddywh1 View Post
How many miles on it? It looks to be very minor as there's no bright fresh oil streaks or drips along the edge of the pan; mainly a weep that is has wicked out into accumulated road dust.

Putting it in a shop to pull tranny and put a seal in may cause a lot worse problems than a weeping seal. Especially if it's high miles I'd want to leave it be until it became a genuine leak. Even if low miles, it could go like that 100K miles or more, never weeping enough to show on a dipstick.

Wipe it off and keep check on it. Consider using a high-mileage engine oil (assuming it's crank seal) with additives that make seals swell a little bit and might even go away.
120k, What is a weeping seal? I have though about going to high mileage oil, just hate the thought that I am pushing it under the rug fix with additives, but if it helps it might be what I need to do, good advice
Old 09-22-2011, 10:47 AM   #16

Quote:
Did you follow the procedure? How recently
Are you reffering to the DIY Auto tranny drain fill procedure with temp check on here?
Old 09-22-2011, 10:49 AM   #17
pinchetaco is just really nicepinchetaco is just really nicepinchetaco is just really nicepinchetaco is just really nice
pinchetaco's Tacoma Gallery
IMO a tiny "leak" like that isn't worth fixing... It will prob cost you more trouble than it's actually worse I would wait until it gets a little worse because that isn't really that bad
Old 09-22-2011, 10:52 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinchetaco View Post
IMO a tiny "leak" like that isn't worth fixing... It will prob cost you more trouble than it's actually worse I would wait until it gets a little worse because that isn't really that bad
I agree, I was asking to see if there was an easy preventative step I could do to keep it from getting worse, or easy fix.
Old 09-22-2011, 11:05 AM   #19
BlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BlueT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
120k, What is a weeping seal? I have though about going to high mileage oil, just hate the thought that I am pushing it under the rug fix with additives, but if it helps it might be what I need to do, good advice
You know you can drive with leaking rear main seal for like forever Just keep oil level topped and you are golden. Rear main seal is fun job and its even funnier when you indeed find out it was your valve cover leaking Still 120k Miles sounds about right for rubber seal.
Old 09-22-2011, 11:22 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueT View Post
You know you can drive with leaking rear main seal for like forever Just keep oil level topped and you are golden. Rear main seal is fun job and its even funnier when you indeed find out it was your valve cover leaking Still 120k Miles sounds about right for rubber seal.
Ha thanks, 120k sounds about right for what seal? all of them probably