1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2008 2.5" spacer lift + 3" coilovers + diff drop??? Possible?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Mason326, Sep 22, 2011.

1. Sep 24, 2011 at 5:33 PM
    Konaborne

Konaborne Pineapples on pizza Hawaiian does not it make.

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    Kealakekua, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    Lifted 00 TRD Off-Road
    fox extended travel remote resivoir coilovers, 14" eibach 600lb coils, All Pro tubular chromoly 1" uniball upper control arms, All Pro expedition leaf packs, 10" bilstein 5150 piggyback reservoir shocks 265/75r16 Goodyear wrangler MT/R kevlars wrapped around 16" Helo 791 gloss black, Mini H1 retrofits with 6000k bulbs, 18" magnaflow w/custom exhaust reroute various decals, Sockmonkey retro hood stripes
  2. Sep 24, 2011 at 5:35 PM
    jandrews

jandrews Hootin' and Hollerin'

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    A-TRUCK, Fat Kid in the Bed, Custom Pinstriping, Ported and Polished Muffler Bearing, Hi-Performance Bed Mat
    Something has to be the weak point. Better to tear cheap and easily replaceable CV boots than have a truck that sucks to drive or snap a front driveshaft yoke out in the middle of nowhere.

I'm running about 3.5" of front lift on my truck. When the boots tear, I'll fix it. Maintenance comes with owning vehicles, and increased maintenance comes with wheeling them.

3. Sep 24, 2011 at 5:36 PM
    theduck911

theduck911 Max's Canadian Twin

Member:
    First Name:
    Max
    Northwestern Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    Locked and Geared!
    Agreed, I have extra boots now so I'll just keep them for if I tear one!

4. Sep 25, 2011 at 12:26 AM
    kieth

kieth Well-Known Member

Member:
    British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    06 trd
    Full OME lift with Dakars, 886s and LR UCA's, Firestone air bags w\ onboard compressor, 2 kicker CVT 10" subs , MB Quart 1000w amp ,Alpine media player
    guys drop the diff way more with 6 inch drop bracket kits

5. Sep 25, 2011 at 4:09 AM
    650H1

650H1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    VA
    Vehicle:
    2020 (Cement) TRD O/R
    I put my diff drop in, and after one week i took the fuckin POS out.

right now i have 4 degree shims in, plus the angle from my rear blocks. im thinking thats too much and is the reason for the vibes, because im pretty sure im getting some good axle wrap. i have the 2 degree toytec shims, so i think im gonna put in my AAL's then put the 2 degree's in backwards so the fat part is facing forward that way it angles my rear diff down so that the output of the rear diff will run parallel to the output of the tranny, and the two angles will cancel each other (which is what you want when you have a u-joint driveshaft). i guess the AAL's are supposed to fix the axle wrap too, but idk man we'll see haha

6. Sep 25, 2011 at 4:25 AM
    themuffinman619

themuffinman619 Play stupid games, win stupid prizes

Member:
    First Name:
    themuffinman
    Vehicle:
    Your moms house
    This. I installed the diff "drop" and there was no significant "drop". Pulled them right the fuck off.

7. Sep 25, 2011 at 4:27 AM
    themuffinman619

themuffinman619 Play stupid games, win stupid prizes

Member:
    First Name:
    themuffinman
    Vehicle:
    Your moms house
    That's because they actually drop the differential not pivot it.

8. Sep 25, 2011 at 5:47 AM
    ILove2Drive

ILove2Drive Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Casey
    WV
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma 4X4 5 Speed Manual
    Halo headlights, Black tail light covers, dual exhaust, 5100s front and rear, eibach coils, wheelers 1.5 AAL, window tint, bow arrow antenna, bull bar, painted grille emblem, debadged, raceline rims, a few decals, CB radio, alpine HU, husky floor liners, tool box, mesh grill...and more to come eventually
    Good luck man! Hopefully we can both get this fixed! Let me know how it goes.

9. Sep 25, 2011 at 5:50 AM
    ILove2Drive

Member:
    First Name:
    Casey
    WV
    Vehicle:
    Halo headlights, Black tail light covers, dual exhaust, 5100s front and rear, eibach coils, wheelers 1.5 AAL, window tint, bow arrow antenna, bull bar, painted grille emblem, debadged, raceline rims, a few decals, CB radio, alpine HU, husky floor liners, tool box, mesh grill...and more to come eventually
    Man you guys are scaring me about having the diff drop on mine now. Bit if you go back to page 1 my CVs were pretty darn bad before I had it and I didn't want to tear something up. I don't offroad at all and my truck is only off pavement to go up to my farm and sometimes in the snow..so would it have been likely to rip a boot with those angles just on pavement driving?

10. Sep 25, 2011 at 9:30 AM
    650H1

650H1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    VA
    Vehicle:
    2020 (Cement) TRD O/R
    yea dude i think itll work out, theres gotta be a way to lift these trucks with no problem, i could see having these problems if it were like a ranger or colorado lol but not on a yota.

11. Sep 25, 2011 at 6:22 PM
    ILove2Drive

Member:
    First Name:
    Casey
    WV
    Vehicle:
    ^heard that man, and my diff. drop doesn't seem to mess with my truck any actually, and when I put it in 4WD the vibes go away instead of getting worse!

12. Sep 26, 2011 at 3:44 PM
    650H1

650H1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    VA
    Vehicle:
    2020 (Cement) TRD O/R
    o, that sounds like you ruined your bearing on your front diff. reach under and grab your CV's and see if they have any play

13. Sep 28, 2011 at 5:01 PM
    ILove2Drive

Member:
    First Name:
    Casey
    WV
    Vehicle:
    Had the shims put on today and had the guy check my CVs and he said everything was tight and seemed right. The shims may have slightly helped but it didn't really do much. I had the diff drop installed so if I were to remove it, is that something that is difficult to do at all? And is there a write-up with pics and everything for the CV boot mod if I did take the diff. drop off? Because my CVs were horrible before the diff drop...so maybe I should just leave it on since I already have it?

14. Sep 30, 2011 at 2:44 PM
    650H1

650H1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    VA
    Vehicle:
    2020 (Cement) TRD O/R
    i mean its all preference for you man, but the diff drop only rotates your front diff and really only drops it like .5 degree. mine gave me vibes, so i took it out, but my angles arent that bad anyways, and i still get a little vibes but not as bad. im hoping the AALs will fix the issue.

15. Sep 30, 2011 at 9:48 PM
    ILove2Drive

Member:
    First Name:
    Casey
    WV
    Vehicle:
    Hmmm, well if the boot slide mod works well, maybe thats the better route to go. I'm just not very mechanically inclined so I need a pretty detailed write up on how to do it and take the diff drop out lol.

16. Oct 4, 2011 at 6:52 PM
    ILove2Drive

Member:
    First Name:
    Casey
    WV
    Vehicle:
    You get the AAL's on yours yet? Mine runs fine with the diff drop but i can still hear that (whirring) like sound when slowing down...sounds to me like the drive shaft whirring as it slows down but I'm not exactly sure. And then it still makes the (wah wah wah) pulsing sound that I can hear in my exhaust...don't notice it much at all except lower RPMS and in 5th gear though but then it becomes VERY clear at that point. Any ideas at all?

Products Discussed in

To Top