Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

2008 2.5" spacer lift + 3" coilovers + diff drop??? Possible?

Old 09-22-2011, 04:39 PM   #1
Mason326 is on a distinguished road
Mason326's Tacoma Gallery
2008 2.5" spacer lift + 3" coilovers + diff drop??? Possible?

Is it possible to add a couple inches more front lift to my coil spacer lifted truck for extra tire clearance with any diff drop kit? Worried about CV boots/angles if I try to use the coil spacers then crank the coilovers a couple inches as well, pretty sure they would go. Not very knowledgeable about these newer trucks with their crazy suspensions and electronics... Wanting to do this because I will have to cut or sell my ARB front bumper otherwise (have 255/85/r16 KM2s). It clears fine and has done fantastically offroad, but chops my tires up if I hit dips with speed. Makes for interesting driving on the brick roads in Lubbock.
Old 09-22-2011, 04:40 PM   #2
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
It would kill your suspension. Diff drops do nothing for 2nd gens.
Old 09-22-2011, 04:51 PM   #3
Street glide or die
yotamikez is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotamikez is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotamikez is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotamikez is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotamikez is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotamikez is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotamikez is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotamikez is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotamikez is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotamikez is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotamikez is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
yotamikez's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
It would kill your suspension. Diff drops do nothing for 2nd gens.
x2 dont stack lifts.
Old 09-22-2011, 04:56 PM   #4
Banned
97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Eric
97yota4wd's Tacoma Gallery
cut into your arb with a grinder
Old 09-22-2011, 05:18 PM   #5
Figured as much, thanks guys. I'll probably cut 'er up a bit so they fit better if they go to full stuff (thinking just aft of the last brace straight up at a 90 degree angle..? That would work but would it look goofy?). I've read all the lift stacking controversy, but just to boggle my mind some more, what are the physics/parts behind ~4-5" of front suspension without a SAS/cross member lift that would cause it to go? The weight combined with the extra stretch of the coil or...?
Old 09-22-2011, 05:22 PM   #6
Street glide or die
yotamikez is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotamikez is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotamikez is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotamikez is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotamikez is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotamikez is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotamikez is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotamikez is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotamikez is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotamikez is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotamikez is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason326 View Post
Figured as much, thanks guys. I'll probably cut 'er up a bit so they fit better if they go to full stuff (thinking just aft of the last brace straight up at a 90 degree angle..? That would work but would it look goofy?). I've read all the lift stacking controversy, but just to boggle my mind some more, what are the physics/parts behind ~4-5" of front suspension without a SAS/cross member lift that would cause it to go? The weight combined with the extra stretch of the coil or...?

Not sure what your asking.
Old 09-22-2011, 05:37 PM   #7
Never mind, found a good article that explained what I was wondering in layman's terms. Sorry if that was nonsensical, been studying for something like seven hours.

Basically the answer to what I was asking was it's not just the CV that I would have problems with. Tie rods, ball joints, control arms, and steering would all be under stress and I would loose most wheel flex by pushing the control arms down so far (logically). So all in all it makes much more sense to cut the bumper and save my cash for some really nice coilovers/rear bumper/roof rack/bells/whistles/hitch mounted Gatling gun. You know, the usual wish list.
Old 09-22-2011, 06:26 PM   #9
Street glide or die

Quote:
Never mind, found a good article that explained what I was wondering in layman's terms. Sorry if that was nonsensical, been studying for something like seven hours.

Basically the answer to what I was asking was it's not just the CV that I would have problems with. Tie rods, ball joints, control arms, and steering would all be under stress and I would loose most wheel flex by pushing the control arms down so far (logically). So all in all it makes much more sense to cut the bumper and save my cash for some really nice coilovers/rear bumper/roof rack/bells/whistles/hitch mounted Gatling gun. You know, the usual wish list.
Understandable. A guy over on ttora is running a 1" body lift. He loves it been running it for a while now too. Just another idea.
Old 09-22-2011, 06:28 PM   #10
ILove2Drive is one of the sharper tools in the shedILove2Drive is one of the sharper tools in the shedILove2Drive is one of the sharper tools in the shedILove2Drive is one of the sharper tools in the shedILove2Drive is one of the sharper tools in the shedILove2Drive is one of the sharper tools in the shedILove2Drive is one of the sharper tools in the shedILove2Drive is one of the sharper tools in the shedILove2Drive is one of the sharper tools in the shedILove2Drive is one of the sharper tools in the shedILove2Drive is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Casey
ILove2Drive's Tacoma Gallery
I had the diff. drop installed on my 2nd gen and it actually did help my CV angles, so worth looking into if your CVs are crazy anyway
Old 09-22-2011, 06:35 PM   #11
Street glide or die

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILove2Drive View Post
I had the diff. drop installed on my 2nd gen and it actually did help my CV angles, so worth looking into if your CVs are crazy anyway
Pics? Before and after? Your the first person I have heard that it helped.
Old 09-22-2011, 07:04 PM   #12
ILove2Drive is one of the sharper tools in the shedILove2Drive is one of the sharper tools in the shedILove2Drive is one of the sharper tools in the shedILove2Drive is one of the sharper tools in the shedILove2Drive is one of the sharper tools in the shedILove2Drive is one of the sharper tools in the shedILove2Drive is one of the sharper tools in the shedILove2Drive is one of the sharper tools in the shedILove2Drive is one of the sharper tools in the shedILove2Drive is one of the sharper tools in the shedILove2Drive is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by yotamikez View Post
Pics? Before and after? Your the first person I have heard that it helped.
Before:

After:

Not quite as good as stock, but happier than they were
Old 09-24-2011, 08:34 AM   #13
650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Police
650H1's Tacoma Gallery
^ do you get any vibes in the steering wheel? i just put my diff drop kit in and it did help the cv angle, but didnt really cure my steering wheel vibes... my vibes could also be axle wrap, but not sure axle wrap would affect the steering wheel? i have blocks AND shims in the back lol, but putting AAl's on this week. any ideas?
Old 09-24-2011, 12:31 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by 650H1 View Post
^ do you get any vibes in the steering wheel? i just put my diff drop kit in and it did help the cv angle, but didnt really cure my steering wheel vibes... my vibes could also be axle wrap, but not sure axle wrap would affect the steering wheel? i have blocks AND shims in the back lol, but putting AAl's on this week. any ideas?
Possibly tire balance or wheel issue? My steering wheel shook like crazy and then I got my tires balanced at Toyota dealer and found out the place that had been doing my balancing was 5 oz. off! I still have the vibes in my steering wheel too, mostly when I'm going slow and low RPMS. I would say try shims because that's my next move lol, I am getting the shims put on Monday. I already have wheeler's 1.5 AAL, so I'm really hoping the shims will be the fix! And if so, maybe the AAL will work for you.
Old 09-24-2011, 05:35 PM   #15
650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Police
650H1's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILove2Drive View Post
Possibly tire balance or wheel issue? My steering wheel shook like crazy and then I got my tires balanced at Toyota dealer and found out the place that had been doing my balancing was 5 oz. off! I still have the vibes in my steering wheel too, mostly when I'm going slow and low RPMS. I would say try shims because that's my next move lol, I am getting the shims put on Monday. I already have wheeler's 1.5 AAL, so I'm really hoping the shims will be the fix! And if so, maybe the AAL will work for you.

Yeah its not an out of balance kind of shake, its just a harmonic vibration from 20 to 25 then at 50. Like my steering wheel doesn't shake, but you can feel a vibration in it. I have shims and blocks lol so I think its just axle wrap. I'm hoping my fab tech aal's fix it, if it doesn't I have a set of 2 degree shims that I'll put on backwards
Old 09-24-2011, 05:37 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by 650H1 View Post
Yeah its not an out of balance kind of shake, its just a harmonic vibration from 20 to 25 then at 50. Like my steering wheel doesn't shake, but you can feel a vibration in it. I have shims and blocks lol so I think its just axle wrap. I'm hoping my fab tech aal's fix it, if it doesn't I have a set of 2 degree shims that I'll put on backwards
Ah I gotcha, I have something like that and kind of a waah waaah waaah sound you can hear in the exhaust at certain points as well. I'm thinking it might be something to do with the rear driveline which I'm hoping the shims will fix. Which ones do you have now? I ordered the 3 degree ones from toytec for mine.
Old 09-24-2011, 05:43 PM   #17
Carolina Alliance Southwest Region Ambassador
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jandrews's Tacoma Gallery
...Just cut the bumper and take it to a fab shop to have re-plated if it really bothers you.
Old 09-24-2011, 05:59 PM   #18
kieth is on a distinguished road
kieth's Tacoma Gallery
i enjoy people saying the diff drop doesnt do anything. kinda weird considering u drop it a full inch and if you've ever put one in , u can feel the diff drop down and u can see the cv angles get better. kinda hard to say it does nothin, maybe no experience?
Old 09-24-2011, 06:21 PM   #19
Carolina Alliance Southwest Region Ambassador
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jandrews's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by kieth View Post
i enjoy people saying the diff drop doesnt do anything. kinda weird considering u drop it a full inch and if you've ever put one in , u can feel the diff drop down and u can see the cv angles get better. kinda hard to say it does nothin, maybe no experience?
And I enjoy people like you.

2gen diff "drops" only apply to the front diff mounts, which are at the end of a long mounting arm. Since there are THREE front differential mounting locations, this means it's not a drop at all, it's a diff pivot.

The best part is that it pivots the differential in such a way that the pinion gear is elevated out of the oil fill of the differential, so you may be causing more stress at the mating of the ring/pinion.

Additionally, even if they did ease CV angles (which they don't), the tradeoff is changing the driveline angle between the front differential and transfer case, meaning a possibility of all kinds of vibes, etc. from that issue that has now been created.

IF you blow your CV boots, just buy a rebuild kit from Toyota (they're pretty cheap) and rebuild the CV axle. It's a bit messy, but not terribly complex.
Old 09-24-2011, 06:30 PM   #20
Max's Canadian Twin
theduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Max
theduck911's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Is it possible to add a couple inches more front lift to my coil spacer lifted truck for extra tire clearance with any diff drop kit? Worried about CV boots/angles if I try to use the coil spacers then crank the coilovers a couple inches as well, pretty sure they would go. Not very knowledgeable about these newer trucks with their crazy suspensions and electronics... Wanting to do this because I will have to cut or sell my ARB front bumper otherwise (have 255/85/r16 KM2s). It clears fine and has done fantastically offroad, but chops my tires up if I hit dips with speed. Makes for interesting driving on the brick roads in Lubbock.
I am/was running the Toytec CO's at about 2.5" of lift with an ARB bumper and 255/85R16 Truxxus MT and never had an issue with the tire contacting the front bumper and I've taken some nasty drops,bumps etc.