1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Sparkplug time

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by DheadTaco, Sep 22, 2011.

1. Sep 24, 2011 at 3:05 AM
    Tacoma Mike

Tacoma Mike 48 Year Chrysler/Toyota/ASE/ Master Tech.RETIRED

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Southern Maine
    Vehicle:
    2011 Double Cab V6 1995 Bass Tracker
    Large Storage Box, 02610 intermittent switch swap, "Hot Wire" Power Outlets, DRL Shut Off, Disable Fob Beep, Disable Seat Belt Buzzers, Parking Light Mod, Battery Tender, 4 Leaf Spring Pack, Rear Headrest Removal, Factory Tow Package (7 Pin) Rear Diff Mod, Taco Lean Mod, 2WD Low ECU.
    Short answer Yes.
    Does it make it run better ??? doubt it.
    Worse ??? In this case I don't think so.
    Some Engines needed a very specific plug and swapping them for others would make a big downside result.
    I never have put Iridium's in a 4.0 yet.
    Won't do it to mine.
    They engineer all there specs and whatnot with a certain plug design.
    Whip makes a good point on seized plugs. Have seen some be a little tuff to remove after all that time.

Hey you need to become one with the truck.
    But If you want to, Go for it.
    Come on back and give us a little input. would be some great info.

2. Sep 24, 2011 at 3:31 AM
    84Hilux

84Hilux Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Vancouver, Canada
    Vehicle:
    09 SR5 Access Cab V6 4X4
    Stock Fog Lights, Camera Mirror, Arrow Canopy, Lighted 4x4switch, Weathertech Mats (Black), Wet Okoles- Black/Charcoal, Alpine CDA117 Headunit/ Alpine PDX4150 Amp/Alpine PDX M6 Amp/ Hybrid Legatia SE Components/ JL 10W6V2 Subwoofer/ Prototype MR Marv Sub Enclosure
    I have heard that some guys said iridium plugs did not run very well in the 4L engine. Main advantage would be they would last longer.

3. Sep 24, 2011 at 3:48 AM
    Tacoma Mike

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Southern Maine
    Vehicle:
    Large Storage Box, 02610 intermittent switch swap, "Hot Wire" Power Outlets, DRL Shut Off, Disable Fob Beep, Disable Seat Belt Buzzers, Parking Light Mod, Battery Tender, 4 Leaf Spring Pack, Rear Headrest Removal, Factory Tow Package (7 Pin) Rear Diff Mod, Taco Lean Mod, 2WD Low ECU.

:thumbsup: Thanks. Good to know....

4. Sep 24, 2011 at 3:51 AM
    buddywh1

buddywh1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Philly PA
    Vehicle:
    07 DC SR5 4x4
    The only value iridium and platinum plugs offer is longer service life; there's no performance difference with serviceable plugs. So I'd expect iridiums with 50K on them will perform a lot better than coppers with 50K on them.

IMHO, since plugs are so easy to access on the Tacoma V6 they chose to skimp a couple bucks for each plug and increase the maintenance interval.

I put iridiums in when I changed and expect them to last 60-80K before I have to do plugs again. That will be a long, long while so be sure to put a dab of anti-seize on the threads to prevent corrosion-welding into the head.

5. Sep 24, 2011 at 4:17 AM
    Toyota Tech31

Toyota Tech31 Sometimes when I close my eyes, I can't see.

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Debary, Florida
    Vehicle:
    '08 SWB Bad ass SPORT
    Air Raid air intake, 40 Series Flowmaster Muffler, Front Turn Signals Now Turn And Park, KENWOOD HEAD UNIT W/ ALL KENWOOD SPEAKER UPGRADES AND 2-10" KENWOOD SUBS BEHIND BACK SEAT, Bilstein 5125'S In Rear W/ 1.5 AAL'S, Bilstein 5100 W/ Eibachs Up Front, LR Upper control arms, NFAB steps, Bruteforce Fab Hybrid front bumper, LP10000 SuperWinch, 2 Rigid Industries SRM-2's, OKLedlightbars 6 CREE LED lights as fogs, AVID RBG, 2 4" red ring HIDs mounted behind the grille.
    Tacoma Mike I couldn't have said it better myself, I guess it's the old saying, one bad apple ruins the bunch, but these people need to realize it is 2011, don't judge guys like us b/c of some idiots out there that actually are screw ups!!!

6. Sep 24, 2011 at 5:21 AM
    DheadTaco

DheadTaco [OP] Pill it till you kill it!

Member:
    Gulf Coast, Mississippi
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma PreRunner SR5 Impulse Red Pearl
    -Color Matched Grill & Toyota emblem -Headlights from WOTM -Tinted Fogs with Lamin-x (Tint) -Tinted taillights with Lamin-x (Tint) -6K HIDs in headlights and fogs -20% tint all around -Plasti-dipped badges -Plasti-dipped back bumper -Mud flap mod -'10 running-boards -LEDs all around -AFE drop-in
    The plugs stood out to me just because that was the only thing different on all 3 trucks. But engines are weird and do crazy things. I guess its just one of those things. Def glad I put the OEM coppers in it. I figured there is a reason those guru's chose that plug lol
    On another note, what about maybe the gas being garbage, such as ethanol.

7. Sep 24, 2011 at 5:22 AM
    Toyota Tech31

Toyota Tech31 Sometimes when I close my eyes, I can't see.

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Debary, Florida
    Vehicle:
    '08 SWB Bad ass SPORT
    Air Raid air intake, 40 Series Flowmaster Muffler, Front Turn Signals Now Turn And Park, KENWOOD HEAD UNIT W/ ALL KENWOOD SPEAKER UPGRADES AND 2-10" KENWOOD SUBS BEHIND BACK SEAT, Bilstein 5125'S In Rear W/ 1.5 AAL'S, Bilstein 5100 W/ Eibachs Up Front, LR Upper control arms, NFAB steps, Bruteforce Fab Hybrid front bumper, LP10000 SuperWinch, 2 Rigid Industries SRM-2's, OKLedlightbars 6 CREE LED lights as fogs, AVID RBG, 2 4" red ring HIDs mounted behind the grille.
    Did you try the battery disconnect yet? Still think that may help.

8. Sep 24, 2011 at 5:32 AM
    saugus

saugus Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    I have used iridium on my corolla and now on my 2.7L Tacoma. The performance does not seem to slip with them on vs. not and they do look perfectly fine after 30k. The one downside is that they appear to need a regap after a while. Since you are in there anyway, why not replace them with some $4 plugs?;)

9. Sep 24, 2011 at 7:00 AM
    buddywh1

buddywh1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Philly PA
    Vehicle:
    07 DC SR5 4x4
    Stuff I've read says you should avoid regapping iridium plugs... it's inherent in the design to work well with a larger gap. Can if you want I suppose but be really careful not to damage the fragile iridium wire electrode. Considering a couple principles I've picked up over the years, I think I can understand why:

A spark starts quicker and stronger on a sharp point, like the iridium center electrode is. Compare it to the fat, blunt nickel electrode of copper/nickle plugs. Even worse, that blunt tip's edge erodes quickly, rounding it off making the spark even weaker.

Also, a large(r) gap is actually better because it exposes more of the fuel/air mix to the spark, forming broader flame front. Before modern high-energy ignitions were common plug gaps were like .020-.025 even less in some cases. The key is having enough energy to bridge the gap. I think designers conservatively set the initial gap for modern ignitions at .040-.045 knowing a plug erodes over time. The benefit of an iridium (and what makes it worth the premium) is even as it slowly erodes it's still firing strong across the widening gap because of the fine wire electrode.

10. Sep 24, 2011 at 7:26 AM
    Tacoma Mike

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Southern Maine
    Vehicle:
    :thumbsup:

11. Sep 24, 2011 at 7:33 AM
    Tacoma Mike

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Southern Maine
    Vehicle:
    Very good info.
    I wouldn't be trying to re-gap. It's one of those "set it and forget it deals"
    The ign systems at this point have enough nuts to handle that gap that will happen. It's just some engines for whatever reason don't like them.
    The fuel we have now definitely is another hurdle car makers have to work around. They change all the time. So I am sure that has a factor in everything.

12. Sep 24, 2011 at 9:48 AM
    DheadTaco

Member:
    Gulf Coast, Mississippi
    Vehicle:
    -Color Matched Grill & Toyota emblem -Headlights from WOTM -Tinted Fogs with Lamin-x (Tint) -Tinted taillights with Lamin-x (Tint) -6K HIDs in headlights and fogs -20% tint all around -Plasti-dipped badges -Plasti-dipped back bumper -Mud flap mod -'10 running-boards -LEDs all around -AFE drop-in
    Yeah I did it this morning. It seems like its driving better LOL But, I think its one of those things thats just in your head I think. Hopefully not

13. Sep 24, 2011 at 9:49 AM
    DheadTaco

Member:
    Gulf Coast, Mississippi
    Vehicle:
    I run lucas every fill up hopefully that helps some with the 10% of ethonol.

14. Sep 24, 2011 at 10:04 AM
    KevLot17

KevLot17 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Pennsylvania
    Vehicle:
    '10 Blacked Out TRD Sport
    Debadged, Toytec Ultimate Lift, Banks Monster Exhaust, AFE Pro Dry filter, Black Grillecraft grille, Flat Black background headlights, Red Blinkers and markers with alternating turn signal mod, Krypton Bulbs 6000K Headlights and Fogs, Fog Light anytime Mod, LED interior lights with map light mod, AVS Black Taillight Covers, Tinted Windows, WeatherTech Digital floor liners.
    EVERY fill up?! Damn that could get pricey.... i fill my truck up at LEAST once a week... and i buy the quart of lucas, only put it in like once a month though, but the quart dont go far as i put it in my truck, the girls legacy, moms crv, brothers Trail blazer, and my '91 2wd yota.... i couldnt imagine doin that twice a week.. my mom fills up 3 times a week!!!:eek:...

Anyway back on the subject... i just picked up the plugs from the dealership the other day... hopin to get em changed tomorrow....

15. Sep 24, 2011 at 11:16 AM
    saugus

saugus Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    I put sea foam in the gas every so often and the rest of its uses. Last time it seemed to give an improvement to the drive.

Products Discussed in

To Top