LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Shudder/Vibration while towing?

Old 09-23-2011, 05:06 PM   #1
Solid Axle FTMFW!!
Supra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
Supra TT's Tacoma Gallery
Shudder/Vibration while towing?

Title says it all pretty much...2008 dc TRD or. Extreme vibrating at any speeds while towing my 2000 Sas Tacoma on a jerry james 16 foot tandem axle trailer. Total weight truck and trsiler 10.6k. I've towed this 15 times, some days it does it the other days it doesnt. Any ideas?? My only guess is rear driveshaft angle. Truck has 1.5" aal.. sorry bad punctuation, on my phone.
Old 09-24-2011, 12:03 PM   #2
matts11 will become famous soon enoughmatts11 will become famous soon enough
matts11's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supra TT View Post
Title says it all pretty much...2008 dc TRD or. Extreme vibrating at any speeds while towing my 2000 Sas Tacoma on a jerry james 16 foot tandem axle trailer. Total weight truck and trsiler 10.6k. I've towed this 15 times, some days it does it the other days it doesnt. Any ideas?? My only guess is rear driveshaft angle. Truck has 1.5" aal.. sorry bad punctuation, on my phone.
Here is an idea...you are towing .....oh.....about double what your truck can comfortably tow. If you are towing 10600 pounds behind a Tacoma i think vibration is the least of your problems. But I would imagine the vibes are related to the way the trailer is loaded. A little bit of weight transfer on a trailer can make a difference. Play around with how the truck sits on the trailer and find the sweetspot where you dont get vibes...then mark it. But seriously....are you nuts?
Old 09-24-2011, 12:15 PM   #3
JasonJump is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasonJump is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasonJump is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasonJump is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasonJump is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasonJump is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasonJump is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasonJump is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasonJump is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasonJump is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasonJump is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jason
JasonJump's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Old 09-24-2011, 12:26 PM   #4
Lord of War
KenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I'm assuming 10600 lb is the gross combined weight of your 2008 towing truck and the trailer? How much is the tongue weight?
Old 09-24-2011, 02:16 PM   #6
HEAVY WT is on a distinguished road
Name: Matthew
HEAVY WT's Tacoma Gallery
I had to tow my car one time and with the trailer and car, it was about 4700#. I got a strange vibration that cycled through slowly when at highway speeds. I don't tow a lot and my buddy's boat doesn't do it, so haven't paid much attention to it. Hopefully nothing major...
Old 09-24-2011, 03:33 PM   #7
Lord of War
KenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
@Supra_TT: Next time you are towing, ask a friend to watch the trailer's movement. Should be able to tell quickly whether the trailer is oscillating in pitch or in yaw (sway).

Do you have a sway control damper on the trailer/ball mount?
http://www.etrailer.com/Weight-Distr...ies/83660.html

Are the trailer's tires balanced?
Old 09-25-2011, 06:17 AM   #8
Solid Axle FTMFW!!
Supra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by matts11 View Post
Here is an idea...you are towing .....oh.....about double what your truck can comfortably tow. If you are towing 10600 pounds behind a Tacoma i think vibration is the least of your problems. But I would imagine the vibes are related to the way the trailer is loaded. A little bit of weight transfer on a trailer can make a difference. Play around with how the truck sits on the trailer and find the sweetspot where you dont get vibes...then mark it. But seriously....are you nuts?
First of all im only towing around 5,000 #s... and ill try and move the truck around, thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenLyns View Post
I'm assuming 10600 lb is the gross combined weight of your 2008 towing truck and the trailer? How much is the tongue weight?
yes, gcvw. And I'm not sure honestly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oat View Post
With a 2.7L i think you're over-towing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenLyns View Post
@Supra_TT: Next time you are towing, ask a friend to watch the trailer's movement. Should be able to tell quickly whether the trailer is oscillating in pitch or in yaw (sway).

Do you have a sway control damper on the trailer/ball mount?
http://www.etrailer.com/Weight-Distr...ies/83660.html

Are the trailer's tires balanced?
I do not have a sway control, but will order one soon. also the trailer has driven fine on 3 8 hour trips and numerous other smaller trips, but unsure if they really are or not.
Old 09-25-2011, 06:19 PM   #9
Solid Axle FTMFW!!

Update: I moved the truck 3 inches farther forward... seems to work a lot better, but its adding more tongue weight and keeping the suspension 2" from stops which I don't like. Time for air bags maybe, and definitely a sway control.