Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Type of bulb in license plate lights?

Old 09-24-2011, 08:53 AM   #1
jw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Jason
jw1983's Tacoma Gallery
Type of bulb in license plate lights?

Hey everyone!
I was looking at the oem yellow that I hate so much. I got the thinking that I am going to change the oem bulbs to something else, probably a white. I am curious though, what is the type of bulb that is in there? Is it easy to go and check? Any advice would be great, thanks!

jason
Old 09-24-2011, 11:39 AM   #3
jw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
jw1983's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by outxider View Post
Pick up some 5smd led 168/194 bulbs. Big difference and looks better with the bright white accent, kinda gives the truck a modern day look.
What about LED? Is there any ones that would fit in there? Or just incodesent lights?
Old 09-24-2011, 11:45 AM   #5
jw1983's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texoma View Post
Here is something you might be interested in

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/gro...p-buy-5-a.html
Hey. I noticed in your profile picture that you had changed the colour of your front emblem. How easy was it to do? Was it difficult to get the grill off? Do you have or know where there is a DIY for something like that?
Old 09-25-2011, 08:22 PM   #6
Texoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Machinist Mate NEC 4283
Name: Chris(Topher)
Texoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jw1983 View Post
Hey. I noticed in your profile picture that you had changed the colour of your front emblem. How easy was it to do? Was it difficult to get the grill off? Do you have or know where there is a DIY for something like that?

Wasn't hard to get the emblem off at all. I didn't remove the grill to do it either. The emblem just pops out, it's held in with plastic tabs. I got the emblem I have now from metal miller. He does custom emblems on this site
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/buy...m-emblems.html
Hope that helps. If you just want to paint your emblem a certain color, that's easy too. I've painted alot of things on my truck orange so far cuz I have an insanely horrible fettish with all things orange. Also I am a Longhorns fan. First thing you wanna do is get your supplies. You need to clean what you're painting, so various things will work, the best is either rubbing alchohol or mineral spirits. Then get some card board or even a box and go into a well ventilated area, unless you like getting high on paint fumes. Use an automotive primer so your final paint will last long. The light grey primer makes colors creamier looking, while the black primer makes the colors look deeper. One light coat, then dry, then another light coat. You can use a hair dryer or a heat gun to preheat the emblem so the paint dries smoother. After you have the primer dried, preferably over nite, do three light coats of your final paint. Dry time should be about an hour in between coats. Now if you want your paint to last you should use a clear coat. I used wheel clear coat. This stuff is trial and error, so Practice on your cardboard to get spraying down good. You need to let the paint dry over nite before applying clear coat. One good coat should do the trick. Just be careful not to spray too much. When it goes on it looks a little milky, not to worry, it dries clear. Good luck with all your mods on your truck, and if you need any tips or advice, as always just ask any body here on this site. I would be happy to help you with what ever you got goin on. Good luck.
Old 09-25-2011, 09:04 PM   #7
jw1983's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texoma View Post
Wasn't hard to get the emblem off at all. I didn't remove the grill to do it either. The emblem just pops out, it's held in with plastic tabs. I got the emblem I have now from metal miller. He does custom emblems on this site
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/buy...m-emblems.html
Hope that helps. If you just want to paint your emblem a certain color, that's easy too. I've painted alot of things on my truck orange so far cuz I have an insanely horrible fettish with all things orange. Also I am a Longhorns fan. First thing you wanna do is get your supplies. You need to clean what you're painting, so various things will work, the best is either rubbing alchohol or mineral spirits. Then get some card board or even a box and go into a well ventilated area, unless you like getting high on paint fumes. Use an automotive primer so your final paint will last long. The light grey primer makes colors creamier looking, while the black primer makes the colors look deeper. One light coat, then dry, then another light coat. You can use a hair dryer or a heat gun to preheat the emblem so the paint dries smoother. After you have the primer dried, preferably over nite, do three light coats of your final paint. Dry time should be about an hour in between coats. Now if you want your paint to last you should use a clear coat. I used wheel clear coat. This stuff is trial and error, so Practice on your cardboard to get spraying down good. You need to let the paint dry over nite before applying clear coat. One good coat should do the trick. Just be careful not to spray too much. When it goes on it looks a little milky, not to worry, it dries clear. Good luck with all your mods on your truck, and if you need any tips or advice, as always just ask any body here on this site. I would be happy to help you with what ever you got goin on. Good luck.
Yeah that's totally awesome!. When it comes to the paint though is it easy to take off if you want to change the colour? I suggested Plasti Dip because then I can take it off and put on another colour if I wish and I don't have to worry about paint and primer. Being a noob and all I don't know if I wanna chance using the paint and screwing things up. At least with the PD it's almost newbie proof.
Old 09-25-2011, 09:06 PM   #8
jw1983's Tacoma Gallery
When it comes to the license plate lights can I use any as long they are 168/196 bulbs? Aren't some LED's different shapes and may not fit into the stock housing etc?
Old 09-25-2011, 09:10 PM   #9
Texoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Machinist Mate NEC 4283
Name: Chris(Topher)
Texoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Yeah that's totally awesome!. When it comes to the paint though is it easy to take off if you want to change the colour? I suggested Plasti Dip because then I can take it off and put on another colour if I wish and I don't have to worry about paint and primer. Being a noob and all I don't know if I wanna chance using the paint and screwing things up. At least with the PD it's almost newbie proof.
PD works perfectly fine, especially if you don't want to be committed. I think you are limited to certain colors though. The only ones I've seen in stores so far is red and black, but I'm sure you could search the interwebz for more colors. The only down side of plastidip on the front emblem is how much beating it will take with road debris, but you can just re do it evry couple of months no biggie.
Old 09-26-2011, 05:17 PM   #11
jw1983's Tacoma Gallery
Where would I be able to get LJ Led's from? I live in Canada so I am not too sure where I'd be able to get them?
Old 09-26-2011, 05:17 PM   #12
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Quote:
Where would I be able to get LJ Led's from? I live in Canada so I am not too sure where I'd be able to get them?
LJ24 is a member here. Look for his group buys.