Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

HELP..Changed Plugs, 4wd light blinking and wont engage..

Old 09-25-2011, 11:33 AM   #1
KevLot17 will become famous soon enoughKevLot17 will become famous soon enough

Name: Kevin
KevLot17's Tacoma Gallery
HELP..Changed Plugs, 4wd light blinking and wont engage..

So i just changed my plugs, im mechanically inclined so i know i didnt mess anything up... i got all plugs done, started it up and noticed the 4wd light blinking... tried putting it in 4H (then went forward and reverse a few times in the driveway) and it wont engage.. what could have happened? the only thing ive tried to fix it was disconnecting the battery for 10 minutes, no luck... can anyone help me out???
Old 09-25-2011, 11:59 AM   #2
Red
Large is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Large's Tacoma Gallery
Dumb question, but are you moving forward or reverse at least a little while it's trying to engage?
Old 09-25-2011, 12:00 PM   #3
Almost there
08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Oliver
08pretaco's Tacoma Gallery
did you turn the steering wheel as well?
Old 09-25-2011, 12:08 PM   #5
ɔoɯq
BMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Paden
BMOC's Tacoma Gallery
is your foot on the brake and the clutch? (6spd)
Old 09-25-2011, 12:16 PM   #6
saugus is on a distinguished road
saugus's Tacoma Gallery
Don't have 4x4 but is there any wires for it above or around the plugs? I know I had to disconnect a switch and a couple of hoses when I did mine.
Old 09-25-2011, 12:36 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by saugus View Post
Don't have 4x4 but is there any wires for it above or around the plugs? I know I had to disconnect a switch and a couple of hoses when I did mine.
Yeah i disconnected 1 hose but put it back on
Old 09-26-2011, 06:12 AM   #8
reg boulette is one of the sharper tools in the shedreg boulette is one of the sharper tools in the shedreg boulette is one of the sharper tools in the shedreg boulette is one of the sharper tools in the shedreg boulette is one of the sharper tools in the shedreg boulette is one of the sharper tools in the shedreg boulette is one of the sharper tools in the shedreg boulette is one of the sharper tools in the shedreg boulette is one of the sharper tools in the shedreg boulette is one of the sharper tools in the shedreg boulette is one of the sharper tools in the shed
reg boulette's Tacoma Gallery
Just changed my plugs (V-6) (thanks Chris 4X4!) and had to remove a lot more than one hose to get at driver's side. Maybe you knocked a wiring connection loose or a wire parted?
Old 09-26-2011, 06:19 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by reg boulette View Post
Just changed my plugs (V-6) (thanks Chris 4X4!) and had to remove a lot more than one hose to get at driver's side. Maybe you knocked a wiring connection loose or a wire parted?
I used the same write up... it was kind of a pain goin in between and around the fuel lines and such, but with a long enough extension its possibe (because i did it) on the drivers side i removed the one hose that has the squeeze type clamp andpushed it back towards the firewall and out of the way, then i removed that black metal brace... that is it. and i looked over every thing countless times, as did my 2 mechanic buddies that showed up in process..... thats why im gonna go with the 'Its a coincidence that it just happened to come on after i did the plugs' Takin it to dealer Wednesday... hopefully theyll finger it out....
Old 09-26-2011, 06:47 AM   #10
Wally is one of the sharper tools in the shedWally is one of the sharper tools in the shedWally is one of the sharper tools in the shedWally is one of the sharper tools in the shedWally is one of the sharper tools in the shedWally is one of the sharper tools in the shedWally is one of the sharper tools in the shedWally is one of the sharper tools in the shedWally is one of the sharper tools in the shedWally is one of the sharper tools in the shedWally is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Wally's Tacoma Gallery
I'm not sure what you referenced for the procedure, but is sounds like you didn't disconnect any wiring connectors.

Assuming you know the proper procedure to engage/dis-engage 4WD on your truck, the only logical conclusion would be that you pulled on one of the connectors "somewhere" hard enough to cause a signal break.

So, either a entire connector is loose enough that one or more pins aren't seating correctly or you pulled on an individual wire hard enough to disengage a pin in a connector. It sounds like you had to push some things out of the way hard enough that you may have inadvertently applied more force to a segment of the wiring harness than you realized and there is a signal break somewhere. A false "send" is much more unlikely, as well as the scenario of a failure elsewhere at exactly the same time as your plug change procedure.

The cheapest remedy involves a little labour ... look at all the connectors in the vicinity of the procedure and re-seat them, disassembling all required components for proper access. If that doesn't work, take them apart, inspect the pins and if they look good, re-assemble. If that doesn't work, take it to the dealer for diagnosis at $100@hr ...

It all depends on how patient and persistant you are.
Old 09-26-2011, 06:59 AM   #11

The only connectors that i disconnected were the coil harnesses.. The only thing i pushed out of the way was 2 fuel lines and the evap hose. The only other thing i could think of is maybe somehow i pulled a vacuum line off down below when i moved fuel lines... But i cant find anything..
Old 09-28-2011, 03:17 PM   #12
Wally is one of the sharper tools in the shedWally is one of the sharper tools in the shedWally is one of the sharper tools in the shedWally is one of the sharper tools in the shedWally is one of the sharper tools in the shedWally is one of the sharper tools in the shedWally is one of the sharper tools in the shedWally is one of the sharper tools in the shedWally is one of the sharper tools in the shedWally is one of the sharper tools in the shedWally is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Wally's Tacoma Gallery
Today's Wednesday ... did you figure out what it was? I'm always curious what the root cause of a problem is.
Old 09-28-2011, 03:27 PM   #13
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Warranty!
Old 09-28-2011, 06:17 PM   #14

Ok guys sorry it took so long i got home and passed out, so the guy said my system was out of time, one ofthe actuator pins was engaged while the other wasnt(causing the vibe) all they had to do was reset the 4wd(somehow) and it works like a charm now wit no vibes!! And didnt cost me or Toyota a penny... I could not be happier
Old 09-28-2011, 07:44 PM   #15
saugus is on a distinguished road
saugus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevLot17 View Post
Ok guys sorry it took so long i got home and passed out, so the guy said my system was out of time, one ofthe actuator pins was engaged while the other wasnt(causing the vibe) all they had to do was reset the 4wd(somehow) and it works like a charm now wit no vibes!! And didnt cost me or Toyota a penny... I could not be happier
GJ
Old 12-21-2013, 06:54 AM   #16
cookee62 is on a distinguished road
cookee62's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevLot17 View Post
Im Having the sdame probelm.... Where would I find out whob to reset the 4wd?