Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

09 Anytime-On Rear View Camera with Switch on Dash mod

Old 10-16-2011, 09:04 PM   #21
Must go to Mountains, Desert
Crom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mr. Sir
Crom's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjm540ii View Post
I dont mean to sound dumb about this, I understand T1 and T3, but what do you connect in to from the T2 switch terminal?
The camera wire goes to T2.

The switch will do one of two things based on the switch's position

Position #1, Joins T1 and T2.
Position #2, Joins T3 and T2.

Old 10-17-2011, 05:15 AM   #23
khx73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkhx73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkhx73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkhx73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkhx73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkhx73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkhx73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkhx73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkhx73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkhx73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkhx73 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

khx73's Tacoma Gallery
The red wire is the camera wire. Its hard to tell by that pic, but its the red one you can see just a bit of it coming out of that top left connector. It goes behind the other ones and into his quick connector, labeled T2 on the picture.
I'm sure Crom will clarify it better for you.. Thought I'd try in case you were in a rush.
Old 10-17-2011, 07:15 AM   #24
Ding Dang Dee
mjm540ii is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjm540ii is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjm540ii is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjm540ii is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjm540ii is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjm540ii is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjm540ii is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjm540ii is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjm540ii is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjm540ii is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjm540ii is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 11C
Name: Mike
mjm540ii's Tacoma Gallery
Crap, now I'm really confused. I thought the rev wire went to either t1 or t3, with the add- a- circuit going to the other t1 or t3. So, if (for the sake of conversation) my add-a-circuit went to t1, and I tapped into my red rev wire with my t2 terminal, then what goes to my t3? Sorry to be such a pain in the ass, I just want to make sure and get it right before i try this.
Thanks!
Old 10-17-2011, 07:39 AM   #25
U no kea but AINOFEA!
kauaibuilt is one of the sharper tools in the shedkauaibuilt is one of the sharper tools in the shedkauaibuilt is one of the sharper tools in the shedkauaibuilt is one of the sharper tools in the shedkauaibuilt is one of the sharper tools in the shedkauaibuilt is one of the sharper tools in the shedkauaibuilt is one of the sharper tools in the shedkauaibuilt is one of the sharper tools in the shedkauaibuilt is one of the sharper tools in the shedkauaibuilt is one of the sharper tools in the shedkauaibuilt is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army: Nurse
kauaibuilt's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Crap, now I'm really confused. I thought the rev wire went to either t1 or t3, with the add- a- circuit going to the other t1 or t3. So, if (for the sake of conversation) my add-a-circuit went to t1, and I tapped into my red rev wire with my t2 terminal, then what goes to my t3? Sorry to be such a pain in the ass, I just want to make sure and get it right before i try this.
Thanks!
I think im confused in the same spot you are. Where is the camera wire located.

T1 and 3 is either the red "rev" wire or a 12v tap into the fuse panel. In your explanation you had it to T2 which is incorrect.

T2 is the reverse wire but I didn't see where that one was found.
Old 10-17-2011, 12:52 PM   #26
Crom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Crom's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Which wire is the camera wire in the harness? I know you used the yellow coming from your switch, but I'm just unclear on where the end of your yellow wire goes?
See below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by khx73 View Post
The red wire is the camera wire. Its hard to tell by that pic, but its the red one you can see just a bit of it coming out of that top left connector. It goes behind the other ones and into his quick connector, labeled T2 on the picture.
I'm sure Crom will clarify it better for you.. Thought I'd try in case you were in a rush.
Thanks for helping.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kauaibuilt View Post
I think im confused in the same spot you are. Where is the camera wire located.

T1 and 3 is either the red "rev" wire or a 12v tap into the fuse panel. In your explanation you had it to T2 which is incorrect.

T2 is the reverse wire but I didn't see where that one was found.
Hopefully this makes sense:

• Take a scissors, and cut the REV wire in half.
  • Left side of REV wire to T2, This wire physically connects to the camera
  • Right side of REV wire connect to T1, this is the reverse signal wire that used to go to the camera and supplies +12v when tranny is in reverse.
  • Add-a-circuit connects to T3, supplies +12v constant.
Below is a picture of the REV wire that I cut in half and added the slide connectors.

Old 10-17-2011, 02:23 PM   #28
Relik is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelik is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelik is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelik is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelik is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelik is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelik is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelik is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelik is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelik is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelik is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy:
Name: Eddy
Relik's Tacoma Gallery
Good post!

One question. I read a while back on the original mod that if you leave the camera on, it only stays on for 5 minutes and shuts off automatically. Is this true or does it stay on until the switch is put back to normal?

Thx
Old 10-17-2011, 04:19 PM   #30
U no kea but AINOFEA!
kauaibuilt is one of the sharper tools in the shedkauaibuilt is one of the sharper tools in the shedkauaibuilt is one of the sharper tools in the shedkauaibuilt is one of the sharper tools in the shedkauaibuilt is one of the sharper tools in the shedkauaibuilt is one of the sharper tools in the shedkauaibuilt is one of the sharper tools in the shedkauaibuilt is one of the sharper tools in the shedkauaibuilt is one of the sharper tools in the shedkauaibuilt is one of the sharper tools in the shedkauaibuilt is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army: Nurse
kauaibuilt's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crom View Post
See below.

Thanks for helping.

Hopefully this makes sense:

• Take a scissors, and cut the REV wire in half.
  • Left side of REV wire to T2, This wire physically connects to the camera
  • Right side of REV wire connect to T1, this is the reverse signal wire that used to go to the camera and supplies +12v when tranny is in reverse.
  • Add-a-circuit connects to T3, supplies +12v constant.
Below is a picture of the REV wire that I cut in half and added the slide connectors.

Thats what I thought but at 4 in the morning I really second guess myself.... Rep to you sir...
Old 10-17-2011, 10:43 PM   #31
Huskerfan04 is on a distinguished road
Name: Mike
Huskerfan04's Tacoma Gallery
So I have hooked everything up, T1 wire to the right side of the cut of the REV wire, T2 to the left cut of the REV wire and T3 to the add-a-circut wire, but the camera only works when the tranny is in reverse, when i flip the switch the camera goes off, the camera wont come on when the tranny is in any other position. any ideas why this isn't working?
Old 10-17-2011, 10:53 PM   #32
MPG? LOL
sean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
sean266's Tacoma Gallery
Great write up
Old 10-17-2011, 10:59 PM   #33

Crom's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huskerfan04 View Post
So I have hooked everything up, T1 wire to the right side of the cut of the REV wire, T2 to the left cut of the REV wire and T3 to the add-a-circut wire, but the camera only works when the tranny is in reverse, when i flip the switch the camera goes off, the camera wont come on when the tranny is in any other position. any ideas why this isn't working?
Yes. I had the exact same problem. You must put the Add-A-circuit into an existing fuse slot, you can't simply just pick an empty slot like I thought. I figured this out with a multi-meter when mine did not work. Read and follow the instructions that came with the Add-a-Circuit.
Old 10-18-2011, 05:00 AM   #35
khx73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkhx73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkhx73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkhx73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkhx73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkhx73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkhx73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkhx73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkhx73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkhx73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkhx73 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

khx73's Tacoma Gallery
For anyone looking for a mini-fuse Add-a-Circuit in Canada... The larger Canadian Tire stores have them - stk # 020-1615-4
Old 10-19-2011, 04:29 PM   #36
Relik is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelik is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelik is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelik is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelik is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelik is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelik is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelik is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelik is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelik is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelik is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy:
Relik's Tacoma Gallery
Got It! Few tips...

So I just installed and all works well! Thanks for the info all, I liked this approach over the overhead switch so it pushed me to go ahead. I mainly realized I would like it on when I'm loaded in the back and can't see out of my rear view, but now I can!

Did hit some snugs, so I'll share them for all who decide to tackle this and don't wanna do the same mistakes.

1)First cut didnt work. Croms pic was a bit confusing when he points out the red wire to cut on connector IN1. In the picture it points to the one next to the white wire, but it is actually another red wire that is on the opposite end next to a yellow wire like khx73 showed in the second picture. I had what looked like a combination of both pics on my connector. The correct one is the one next to the yellow wire towards the top of the connector when connected.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crom View Post
Find the Rev Wire pictured below

Quote:
Originally Posted by khx73
2) Power did not work at first. The Mini Add-a circuit was confusing because I didn't really read the back as Crom said. You have to put 2 fuses on it. Fuse A is for the fuse you replace on the fuse box (I used the one named Gauges (7.5A)), and Fuse B is for the added circuit (put 3A fuse). The kit comes with the extra fuses needed.

3) I made my wires 12" and mounted my switch in the same place under the steering wheel. Length came out perfect, might want to add an inch/two just in case.

4) Mounting the switch. You need to remove two screws located behind the steering wheel. To access them, turn on the truck and turn the wheel 90 gegrees in each direction. You'll see the screws show when the wheel is turned. This will allow you to remove the plastic bellow the steering wheel for proper installation of switch.

Thats it..... Thanks again
Old 10-19-2011, 04:51 PM   #37

khx73's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relik View Post
1)First cut didnt work. Croms pic was a bit confusing when he points out the red wire to cut on connector IN1. In the picture it points to the one next to the white wire, but it is actually another red wire that is on the opposite end next to a yellow wire like khx73 showed in the second picture. I had what looked like a combination of both pics on my connector. The correct one is the one next to the yellow wire towards the top of the connector when connected.
Nice.. glad it worked out for you. Too bad there is confusion on the wiring on that IN1 connector. As Crom pointed out in an earlier post, it apparently is due to differences in accessories installed. His had extra because of bluetooth. Can you post a pic of your connector? Might help someone running into the same scenario.
Old 10-19-2011, 06:01 PM   #38

Crom's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relik View Post
Thats it..... Thanks again
Congrats on the mod. Thanks for the feedback. I modified the OP based on your post and included one of khx73's pics to help clarify.
Old 10-20-2011, 01:30 AM   #39

Navy:
Relik's Tacoma Gallery
Well looks like I hit another snag. The switch works to turn on the camera, but when I turn it off, the camera doesnt show when I put it in reverse. I got to give it another look tomorrow. Any ideas?
Old 10-20-2011, 07:00 AM   #40
Flyfisher22 will become famous soon enough
Name: Cameron
Flyfisher22's Tacoma Gallery
sub'd